Handset hardware issues, or software?

greycobalt

Reaction score
I got my Nexus last month, and I absolutely love it (except for the battery). I found one weird annoying problem though that's been constant. If I switch it from 3G to 4G, within a minute, I lost all data signal. The bars are grayed out and there's an X over them. It comes back 30 seconds or so after that, but then it will happen almost every 5 minutes on the dot. This doesn't happen at all when the radio is switched to 3G. Very obnoxious!

Is this a hardware issue where I need to replace the handset, or is this a problem with some kernel/software/radio file? Can I flash another radio or something that would fix that? Thanks in advance for the help. I attached a screenshot of what the problem looks like.

View attachment 54044

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts? I'm going to be calling Verizon tomorrow about it and I'd rather hear from real experts first than the fake ones! :)

Saryon

Reaction score
What OS version are you running? 4.0.4? If yes then you probably have a defective device and will need to return it.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Is this a recent problem? Could be the towers and not the phone. Is it happening in a strong 4g area? 3g generally is more stable than 4g in many areas. You may want to try a factory data reset before you go to verizon. That will be their last solution to try to fix it and I think it is better to do it yourself before they do (because you can make sure you have everything backed up before they lose it all on you). If you have already done one, you can also let them know that you already tried it to fix the problem.

It could be a defect with the phone but I think you are better off making sure it is not before getting a replacement only cause the replacement will be a refurbished phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
Is this a recent problem? Could be the towers and not the phone. Is it happening in a strong 4g area? 3g generally is more stable than 4g in many areas. You may want to try a factory data reset before you go to verizon. That will be their last solution to try to fix it and I think it is better to do it yourself before they do (because you can make sure you have everything backed up before they lose it all on you). If you have already done one, you can also let them know that you already tried it to fix the problem.

It could be a defect with the phone but I think you are better off making sure it is not before getting a replacement only cause the replacement will be a refurbished phone.

It's definitely the phone. It's happening in all areas, 4G and 3G. I took it into Verizon and they swapped the SIM card hoping it was faulty, but the lady saw it wasn't. I did also do a factory reset, which didn't fix it either. And yeah, I'm on 4.0.4. :(

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, you have definitely covered all bases. A replacement should solve your problem. When you get your replacement, you have 5 days to return the old one. If you find you have problems with the old one too, I would stick with your original phone until you get a replacement that is working.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
I just have to figure out how to get them to send me a new one instead of those shifty refurbished ones. I had an X2 for a year and went through 5 refurbished ones, all with hardware problems. It sucked! Plus, my Nexus is just a month old, so I'd be peeved to have a used one already.

Slightly off topic, without root, is there any way to 'image' my phone (like a nandroid backup) so on a new phone I can just instantly place everything back on? The X2 debacle gave me a huge aversion to re-setting up my phone every time. :-(

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, without root, is there any way to 'image' my phone (like a nandroid backup) so on a new phone I can just instantly place everything back on? The X2 debacle gave me a huge aversion to re-setting up my phone every time. :-(

[GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or Root - xda-developers <-- that may be of some help.

There are also various apps that can do backups and restores for themselves. Say a custom launcher that backs up it's settings and your home screen setup or one of the many sms/mms backup utilities.

I think you will need to backup the sdcard on your own.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
greycobalt said:
I just have to figure out how to get them to send me a new one instead of those shifty refurbished ones. I had an X2 for a year and went through 5 refurbished ones, all with hardware problems. It sucked! Plus, my Nexus is just a month old, so I'd be peeved to have a used one already.

I would try to insist on getting a new one. You may be more successful right now because they may not have that many refurbished phones in stock yet.

In addition, I don't think you should restore everything from your old phone to the new one, whether it is via a restore app or a system image... because you could be transferring any problem apps or data to the new phone. Only transfer/restore what you really need to. It is a pain but starting out with as many things fresh as you possibly can will save you lots of time in the long run.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
I e-mailed Verizon support (since it was 2am when I decided to deal with this issue :p), and here was his response:

"Hello Garrett,
My name is Brad. I will be happy to review your account to determine what further can be done. Considering your past experience, I understand your hesitance to go the warranty replacement route.

Looking at your account, I do see the notes left by the representative. Doing a little research into this issue, I see that you are not the only one impacted by this issue and that it has still occurred with Worry Free Guarantee replacements as well. With Samsung's warranty policy the only thing we can offer is to exchange it at this point with a warranty replacement. Now there are still a couple options.

First, I would contact our Technical Support team at 1-800-922-0204 Option 3. They do have a few more tools at their disposal to try to fix the issue with your phone. Second is that the Jelly Bean update should be released soon to your Nexus that would fix this issue. While not provided with an exact date, it should be soon that the update is rolled out to the Samsung Nexus' on our network. With 3G working and the rest of your phone working fine, you could hold out till the update. Finally, you could contact Samsung itself since the warranty is through them and they require a warranty replacement.

First though, I would contact our Technical Support Team first, and then we can progress from there to resolve this issue for you. Thank you for your patience in this matter. Have a good weekend.

Sincerely,

Brad

Verizon Wireless
Customer Service"

So, seeing that, I went to Samsung's site and talked to one of their representatives who wanted me to mail in my phone, but told me it would take them 2-3 days to receive it, 5-8 to fix it, and 2-3 to receive it back, and with my job I'm just not able to not have a phone that long. I don't have any junkers around even to transfer to while it's gone. So sadly it looks like that isn't a viable option for me at the moment.

Seems like I'm forced to really, REALLY hope he's right about Jellybean fixing whatever the heck is wrong with my phone.

OP
greycobalt

greycobalt

Reaction score
I posted on their forums as well when I e-mailed, and I got this response:

"I definitely want you to get the most out of your Galaxy Nexus greycobalt! I would like to ask a few questions to help determine the best resolution.

Where are you experiencing these difficulties? Is it indoors or outside? Is it one specific location or is it happening in multiple areas?

I recommend removing the battery and SIM card and temporarily activating airplane mode. If the performance continues, I recommend running the device in safe mode for a full day to rule out third party app conflict.

bit.ly/z3CvzK

bit.ly/vW58PM

Please be assured if it is determined that a replacement is needed, the certified like new devices are of the highest quality. They are subject to a rigorous 100 point inspection from the manufacturer.

I trust this information was helpful.

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support"