Leaked Pics & Specs of the Motorola Droid 4 Surface

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
If the bootloader is unlocked, I'm sold - otherwise Motorola can kiss my :icon_ devil:

Like a Droid RAZR with a keyboard - best of both worlds :biggrin: I gotta have a physical keyboard. I Wish I could afford a new phone.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well Verizon can say they want ___ in a phone but a lot of times, it's the companies who offer a design and the wireless carrier says yes or no. Also, no one really knows anything about the LTE chips. People always say next generation but the chips won't work like that. It's going to be a gradual process but if you really want an idea of their size, look at the schematics from the FCC files. The Droid RAZR has a smaller LTE radio than the Bionic (or so it seems) so maybe the manufacturers are figuring out how to make LTE either smaller or use less power.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Gingerbread? I always liked that the DROID DROID line had the latest version of android available.

OG=2.0
D2=2.2
D3=2.3

D4 should have ICS.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gingerbread? I always liked that the DROID DROID line had the latest version of android available.

OG=2.0
D2=2.2
D3=2.3

D4 should have ICS.

The D4 was probably too far ahead in the design process to incorporate ICS. I mean we're already seeing a working prototype so that shows how far Motorola has come with device already.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The D4 was probably too far ahead in the design process to incorporate ICS. I mean we're already seeing a working prototype so that shows how far Motorola has come with device already.

It is pretty soon. I'm guessing we'll see it before its traditional summer release.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bet it takes a good year to fully design and produce a phone. ICS just came out, their is no way they could have incorporated it into the phone yet. im not sure how far along they are in the whole process but if they already started producing this then it wont come with ICS. This is not a nock on moto, it would literally delay the phone coming out if they waited for ICS then started producing. You will see ics phones soon enough but not before the source is released and not before the nexus has come out. That's just IMO. *also i bet google does give their main manufactures the source before it is released but with production, you cant assume that that means early ics phone. Imagine all the tweaks and programming that has to be done.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I bet it takes a good year to fully design and produce a phone. ICS just came out, their is no way they could have incorporated it into the phone yet. im not sure how far along they are in the whole process but if they already started producing this then it wont come with ICS. This is not a nock on moto, it would literally delay the phone coming out if they waited for ICS then started producing. You will see ics phones soon enough but not before the source is released and not before the nexus has come out. That's just IMO. *also i bet google does give their main manufactures the source before it is released but with production, you cant assume that that means early ics phone. Imagine all the tweaks and programming that has to be done.

But what about the D2/D3?

The D2 had Froyo. Froyo came out May 20th and the D2 Aug. 12th. That's only 2ish months.

Then the D3. GB was Dec. 6th and D3 July 13. About 7 months.

I guess they could have pushed the D4 out. Might do a DX thing. Release 2.3 then a month later ICS.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just as the Bionic should have been the DX2 and the Razr should have been the Bionic, something got messed up along the way this year but the X2 and D3 should have never existed as they stand now

I was gonna say the exact same thing. Notice how the DX2 and D3 STILL dont have ANY Droid commercials out for them? Something happened at Motorola this year that I hope it doesnt happen again anytime soon.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
As a D3 owner, this pisses me off.

Motorola has finally done it. I'm through with them. I cut them some slack on MotoBlur, Pentile, and even locked bootloaders....

I know its all apart of the "game". Release something cool, people go buy it, and then release something cooler later to keep money coming in. But, seeing this only 3 months after the DROID 3 came out, after having a three year trend of releasing the next iteration on a yearly basis, pisses me off. I've been a loyal Motorola DROID user and while the company has made some not so smart decisions in the past, this is the first time I feel like I've been taken advantage of.

Dud calm down...the pics barely just surfaced...the RAZR pics surfaced back in July I believe when we called it the Spyder or HD. This phone still haves a long ways to go before its released.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The back looks removable, ala the D3, so the battery issue may not be the thing. That said, as they seem to release a Droid every year, I'll simply wait for the 5 next year if need be.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't get the complaining about no ICS? This was being released before ICS.. and ICS isn't even released to the public yet. This is a prototype and I wouldn't doubt if it doesn't get released till around summer time. With that, I'm pretty sure that it will come out of the box with ICS considering it's said that ICS 4.x.x will be on most devices early 2012. It's a software update, not hardware. We shouldn't have to worry I would guess.

Also, while I think the Droid 3 shouldn't even have been released considering this was already in the works, I'm in no way mad. It's still a good phone, and I got two upgrades to use. So.. G Nex and then possibly the Droid 4 if it in fact does have ICS.

Oh, and about that battery. It's going to be non-issue apparently. Droid-Life is saying this and the RAZR are going to have a way(volume down + shift + something, I believe) to reset the phone if it in fact does brick/freeze. But.. we will be out of luck when it comes to having spare batteries.

Last edited:

Heywood

Reaction score
I was gonna say the exact same thing. Notice how the DX2 and D3 STILL dont have ANY Droid commercials out for them? Something happened at Motorola this year that I hope it doesnt happen again anytime soon.

There were indeed commercials for the DX2 but it was more generic type advertising same commercial different voiceover

Anyway I do agree certain phones....ahem DX2....could've stayed on paper and didn't need to be produced just because the Bionic wasn't ready for primetime. I can just hear the conversation..."Hey Eric, throw me that Droid X and let me see if the Bionic 75% done stuff will work inside"

I don't mind my DX2, its a good phone...I dunno;)

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
There were indeed commercials for the DX2 but it was more generic type advertising same commercial different voiceover

Anyway I do agree certain phones....ahem DX2....could've stayed on paper and didn't need to be produced just because the Bionic wasn't ready for primetime. I can just hear the conversation..."Hey Eric, throw me that Droid X and let me see if the Bionic 75% done stuff will work inside"

I don't mind my DX2, its a good phone...I dunno;)

Yea there were dx2 commercials around fathers day

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea there were commercials for the DX2 and D3...but they werent DROID ones....like what we saw with the Droid 1 and 2, Droid X1, Bionic, Incredible, Charge and any other Droid commercials I forgot. How did Verizon release 2 Droid phones and not have any DROID commercials for them?