Leaked Pics & Specs of the Motorola Droid 4 Surface

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

I'm a Bionic owner who is NOT pissed about the RAZR. Sure it would be a nice phone to have but I'm content with the Pentile display, I'm content with the thickness, and I love the fact I have a removable battery! Nothing like going out for a day or two and not worrying about charging your phone. I keep the spare in my pocket and swap them out around 10%. When I get home, I just put the spare in the battery charger and that's it.

It's all preference and about how you look at things. I knew the RAZR was coming before I bought the Bionic (saw the pics of it next to the Bionic on Droid Life back in August). I needed an upgrade and I love the Bionic. I knew exactly what I was getting into and accepted the consequences. There will always be something bigger and better around the corner.

I'm sure D3 owners definitely saw this coming because the Bionic was around the corner when the D3 was released except the D3 didn't have LTE so D3 owners had to have known the next iteration of the Droid line would have LTE.

But on a separate note, I think I might trade in my Bionic (Costco's 90 day exchange policy) for the GN if they get the GN in before my 90 days is up. But that's because I would love to have a larger screen, ICS, and I love Samsung products as much as I love Motorola products. Again, it's just a preference thing.
  2. voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy New Member

Im my situation I really need a physical keyboard. Ive already bought and returned the lapdock because it is very clumsy to use. Im waiting on a small bluetooth keyboard to be delivered and try that with my Bionic. I like the Bionic but having a keyboard is almost a necessity for me. Before I got the Bionic the VZW reps told me "there probably wont ever be a 4g slider...." :icon_ nono2:
  3. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

for really extended typing on my phone, i use the moto keyboard intended for the xoom. works great on my d3. can have a bluetooth mouse connected at the same time. so my phone straight replaces my laptop for most things now. and most hotels are getting hdtvs with hdmi, so thats my monitor....

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  4. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

this is the main reason for sealed batteries, to get the phones out of circulation after 2 years so you don't have to support it.
  5. akhi216

akhi216 Member

As it was mentioned a couple of times in this thread people who bought the D3 knew what they were getting into when they they purchased it. I was one of those people. I HAD to be on Verizon's network, I HAD to have a phone with a dual-core processor. I also HAD to have 4G...so I bought a Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot so that wouldn't be a problem; others may have just needed a keyboard.

The question still remains on why Verizon called for a 3G smartphone in a 4G era. Verizon is the one to blame. They only tap Motorola on the shoulder to make them a phone. Motorola can only make what Verizon asks, or else Verizon can just get someone else to make the phone, and Motorola has to pay it's staff so go figure. One could speculate that they (Verizon) wanted the D3 to be a thin slider, and the LTE radios, which made the phone thicker, didn't make the cut. This would only prove to be true if the Droid 4 is found to contain a next-generation (smaller) LTE chip whenever it's released, and that's assuming that it gets released before the end of this year (which I've read was speculated to be true). According to a couple of articles I've read, next-generation LTE chips were speculated to not be available until mid next year, thus the need for the non-removable battery would be a great solution to meet for the demand for a thin 4G LTE slider with a dual-core processor hence the greater than expected D3 sales, which were backordered all over for quite a while.

Personally, I could careless how thin a phone is as long as it has what I want on it. IMO it's ridiculous when it's required to shave features off a phone design just to get it to have a "razr-thin" profile. Buying a phone simply because it's thinner? Really???

As always my thoughts and ideas on these matters are purely subjective.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  6. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

If the bootloader is unlocked, I'm sold - otherwise Motorola can kiss my :icon_ devil:

Like a Droid RAZR with a keyboard - best of both worlds :biggrin: I gotta have a physical keyboard. I Wish I could afford a new phone.
  7. Arkbird

Well Verizon can say they want ___ in a phone but a lot of times, it's the companies who offer a design and the wireless carrier says yes or no. Also, no one really knows anything about the LTE chips. People always say next generation but the chips won't work like that. It's going to be a gradual process but if you really want an idea of their size, look at the schematics from the FCC files. The Droid RAZR has a smaller LTE radio than the Bionic (or so it seems) so maybe the manufacturers are figuring out how to make LTE either smaller or use less power.
  8. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

Gingerbread? I always liked that the DROID DROID line had the latest version of android available.

OG=2.0
    D2=2.2
    D3=2.3

D4 should have ICS.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  9. Arkbird

The D4 was probably too far ahead in the design process to incorporate ICS. I mean we're already seeing a working prototype so that shows how far Motorola has come with device already.
  10. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

It is pretty soon. I'm guessing we'll see it before its traditional summer release.

11. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

I bet it takes a good year to fully design and produce a phone. ICS just came out, their is no way they could have incorporated it into the phone yet. im not sure how far along they are in the whole process but if they already started producing this then it wont come with ICS. This is not a nock on moto, it would literally delay the phone coming out if they waited for ICS then started producing. You will see ics phones soon enough but not before the source is released and not before the nexus has come out. That's just IMO. *also i bet google does give their main manufactures the source before it is released but with production, you cant assume that that means early ics phone. Imagine all the tweaks and programming that has to be done.
  12. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

But what about the D2/D3?

The D2 had Froyo. Froyo came out May 20th and the D2 Aug. 12th. That's only 2ish months.

Then the D3. GB was Dec. 6th and D3 July 13. About 7 months.

I guess they could have pushed the D4 out. Might do a DX thing. Release 2.3 then a month later ICS.

13. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I was gonna say the exact same thing. Notice how the DX2 and D3 STILL dont have ANY Droid commercials out for them? Something happened at Motorola this year that I hope it doesnt happen again anytime soon.
  14. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

Dud calm down...the pics barely just surfaced...the RAZR pics surfaced back in July I believe when we called it the Spyder or HD. This phone still haves a long ways to go before its released.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!
  15. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

The back looks removable, ala the D3, so the battery issue may not be the thing. That said, as they seem to release a Droid every year, I'll simply wait for the 5 next year if need be.
  16. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

I don't get the complaining about no ICS? This was being released before ICS.. and ICS isn't even released to the public yet. This is a prototype and I wouldn't doubt if it doesn't get released till around summer time. With that, I'm pretty sure that it will come out of the box with ICS considering it's said that ICS 4.x.x will be on most devices early 2012. It's a software update, not hardware. We shouldn't have to worry I would guess.

Also, while I think the Droid 3 shouldn't even have been released considering this was already in the works, I'm in no way mad. It's still a good phone, and I got two upgrades to use. So.. G Nex and then possibly the Droid 4 if it in fact does have ICS.

Oh, and about that battery. It's going to be non-issue apparently. Droid-Life is saying this and the RAZR are going to have a way(volume down + shift + something, I believe) to reset the phone if it in fact does brick/freeze. But.. we will be out of luck when it comes to having spare batteries.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  17. Heywood

Heywood New Member

There were indeed commercials for the DX2 but it was more generic type advertising same commercial different voiceover

Anyway I do agree certain phones....ahem DX2....could've stayed on paper and didn't need to be produced just because the Bionic wasn't ready for primetime. I can just hear the conversation..."Hey Eric, throw me that Droid X and let me see if the Bionic 75% done stuff will work inside"

I don't mind my DX2, its a good phone...I dunno;)
  18. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

Yea there were dx2 commercials around fathers day

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!
  19. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea there were commercials for the DX2 and D3...but they werent DROID ones....like what we saw with the Droid 1 and 2, Droid X1, Bionic, Incredible, Charge and any other Droid commercials I forgot. How did Verizon release 2 Droid phones and not have any DROID commercials for them?
  20. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

Looks like a 4.3 inch screen to me!