Leaked Pics & Specs of the Motorola Droid 4 Surface

Jonas

Reaction score
Personally, this has me greatly excited! I was looking into the Prime, or the Nexus, but I was just not liking the lack of a slide out keyboard. Being a teen hacker, I am CONSTANTLY texting on the go, and walking and texting can be made simple by a physical keyboard, so I don't have to look down. Also, I love the idea that even when hacking, and I happen to corrupt my soft keyboard, I still have a handy slideout keyboard in case, as I have ruined quite a few soft keyboard apps with my tinkering. Also, I have been with the droid model since it was released, and I am currently on D2G, sitting on it, since the D3 didn't look that much better. I'm hoping this Droid model wont be more hype than product like the D3 was.

To be honest guys, whether is has ICS, or Froyo, it really doesn't matter, because if you do just a wee bit of reading and asking around, you will find that putting a rom on your phone is quite simple, and you can do away with your hated blur, or you can get ICS like you want, or you can make this thing look like the OG. So that really shouldn't even enter your mind when buying this phone. Plus, I'm seeing ICS put on this phone. If not before it launches, very soon after. If they didn't it would be like selling a new ferrari with a 3 year old engine thats been sitting on the shelf.

darkmatter

Reaction score
So you thought the d2 was a huge upgrade over d1, but didn't think d3 was much better than d2? Sounds backwards to me...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

akhi216

Reaction score
And where exactly is the punch on this?

4G LTE connectivity.

On droid life they said it has a non removable battery

On Howard Forums they said that it does have a removable battery. I wonder who's right...

This should have been the Droid 3.

Agreed.

The statement made about finally a 4G LTE phone with a slide out keyboard must have meant a Motorola phone because the Samsung stratosphere is a 4g phone with slide out keyboard. Just sayin.

Of course they meant a phone with a slide-out keyboard, 4G LTE, and a dual-core processor.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

dtdlurch

Reaction score
As a D3 owner, this pisses me off.

Motorola has finally done it. I'm through with them. I cut them some slack on MotoBlur, Pentile, and even locked bootloaders....

I know its all apart of the "game". Release something cool, people go buy it, and then release something cooler later to keep money coming in. But, seeing this only 3 months after the DROID 3 came out, after having a three year trend of releasing the next iteration on a yearly basis, pisses me off. I've been a loyal Motorola DROID user and while the company has made some not so smart decisions in the past, this is the first time I feel like I've been taken advantage of.

darkmatter

Reaction score
Well, if the bionic teaches us anything, the d4 could still be more than a year away.....

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Un-f'ing-believable. The ONE thing I wanted was a slider with 4g. Now Im stuck with Bionic for 2yrs unless I want to buy off contract for, presumably, $600 :mad:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
No reason to get upset. Technology comes in steps, not in leaps. Most D3 owners knew what they were getting into when they bought the phone. Besides, no one knows when this is coming out. If it's anything like the Bionic or Thunderbolt, we'll be seeing pics now but it won't be released until at least January or February of next year.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I got the D3 because it was a vast improvement over the D1. This in no way upsets me, this is a prototype and might not be released for months. The D2 came out less than a year after the D1 so not concerned about a new phone coming out shortly after mine. This is a nice looking device, not sure if I like the non-removable battery though. This is a nice progression of the Droid line. If you look at it from a casual user standpoint this will be a good phone. We can't always look at things from a hackers standpoint. Bootloaders, bloat and Blur aren't of concern to most customers.

LLR0717

dtdlurch

Reaction score
No reason to get upset. Technology comes in steps, not in leaps. Most D3 owners knew what they were getting into when they bought the phone. Besides, no one knows when this is coming out. If it's anything like the Bionic or Thunderbolt, we'll be seeing pics now but it won't be released until at least January or February of next year.

I agree. I know how the game works. I know companies sucker me into paying for a new phone every year (or less). But, I think the reason I'm upset with this is that it is such a blatant "Ha! Gotcha!". I know I'm a sucker, but this time, I feel like its getting rubbed in my face.

If I was a Bionic owner, I would be pissed about the RAZR....

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Yes. I like this.

D1 came out in October 2009
D2 in August 2010
D3 in July 2011

So this will probably come out in May or June of 2012. Perfect timing for me, I got my D1 in May of 2010.:biggrin:

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. I know how the game works. I know companies sucker me into paying for a new phone every year (or less). But, I think the reason I'm upset with this is that it is such a blatant "Ha! Gotcha!". I know I'm a sucker, but this time, I feel like its getting rubbed in my face.

If I was a Bionic owner, I would be pissed about the RAZR....
I'm a Bionic owner who is NOT pissed about the RAZR. Sure it would be a nice phone to have but I'm content with the Pentile display, I'm content with the thickness, and I love the fact I have a removable battery! Nothing like going out for a day or two and not worrying about charging your phone. I keep the spare in my pocket and swap them out around 10%. When I get home, I just put the spare in the battery charger and that's it.

It's all preference and about how you look at things. I knew the RAZR was coming before I bought the Bionic (saw the pics of it next to the Bionic on Droid Life back in August). I needed an upgrade and I love the Bionic. I knew exactly what I was getting into and accepted the consequences. There will always be something bigger and better around the corner.

I'm sure D3 owners definitely saw this coming because the Bionic was around the corner when the D3 was released except the D3 didn't have LTE so D3 owners had to have known the next iteration of the Droid line would have LTE.

But on a separate note, I think I might trade in my Bionic (Costco's 90 day exchange policy) for the GN if they get the GN in before my 90 days is up. But that's because I would love to have a larger screen, ICS, and I love Samsung products as much as I love Motorola products. Again, it's just a preference thing.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
Im my situation I really need a physical keyboard. Ive already bought and returned the lapdock because it is very clumsy to use. Im waiting on a small bluetooth keyboard to be delivered and try that with my Bionic. I like the Bionic but having a keyboard is almost a necessity for me. Before I got the Bionic the VZW reps told me "there probably wont ever be a 4g slider...." :icon_ nono2:

darkmatter

Reaction score
for really extended typing on my phone, i use the moto keyboard intended for the xoom. works great on my d3. can have a bluetooth mouse connected at the same time. so my phone straight replaces my laptop for most things now. and most hotels are getting hdtvs with hdmi, so thats my monitor....

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I also tend to keep my phones for about 3 years and these batteries lose significant charge life after 2 years.
this is the main reason for sealed batteries, to get the phones out of circulation after 2 years so you don't have to support it.

akhi216

Reaction score
As it was mentioned a couple of times in this thread people who bought the D3 knew what they were getting into when they they purchased it. I was one of those people. I HAD to be on Verizon's network, I HAD to have a phone with a dual-core processor. I also HAD to have 4G...so I bought a Samsung 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot so that wouldn't be a problem; others may have just needed a keyboard.

The question still remains on why Verizon called for a 3G smartphone in a 4G era. Verizon is the one to blame. They only tap Motorola on the shoulder to make them a phone. Motorola can only make what Verizon asks, or else Verizon can just get someone else to make the phone, and Motorola has to pay it's staff so go figure. One could speculate that they (Verizon) wanted the D3 to be a thin slider, and the LTE radios, which made the phone thicker, didn't make the cut. This would only prove to be true if the Droid 4 is found to contain a next-generation (smaller) LTE chip whenever it's released, and that's assuming that it gets released before the end of this year (which I've read was speculated to be true). According to a couple of articles I've read, next-generation LTE chips were speculated to not be available until mid next year, thus the need for the non-removable battery would be a great solution to meet for the demand for a thin 4G LTE slider with a dual-core processor hence the greater than expected D3 sales, which were backordered all over for quite a while.

Personally, I could careless how thin a phone is as long as it has what I want on it. IMO it's ridiculous when it's required to shave features off a phone design just to get it to have a "razr-thin" profile. Buying a phone simply because it's thinner? Really???

As always my thoughts and ideas on these matters are purely subjective.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums