Leaked Pics & Specs of the Motorola Droid 4 Surface

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

Hmm...*raises eyebrow in interest*
    You know I'm not a fan of the capacitive buttons anymore, and I was just starting to get used to the idea of not having physical keys anymore but depending on the visual quality, build quality, and features (not referring to bloatware) this may be a good third option to the RAZR and Nexus. Would certainly feel very familiar.
  2. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

dammit...now i want this one too...i might have to skip out on it though cuz im tired of not getting cool roms because of the locked bootloader
  3. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel Active Member

Yeah this definitely should have been the Droid 3. I think they should let me upgrade for free lol jk. I wonder if it will have 1gb of ram. I would like it even more if it didn't have capacitive buttons and launches with ICS. I don't think I'm going to be getting moto for a while.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
  4. Stories

Stories New Member

I would have bought this instead of my Bionic had I waited. Alas, I have my Bionic for the next 18 months.
  5. Vito.a

Vito.a Member

I thought the Droid 3 was a solid phone. Just couldn't live without 4G for the next 2 years. This Droid 4 looks great.
  6. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

Non-removable battery kills it for me. I have had a spare (sometimes extended) battery for every phone that I have owned and have switched them during the occasional heavy use day. I also tend to keep my phones for about 3 years and these batteries lose significant charge life after 2 years. Keeping my extra battery at half charge and in the fridge makes it last more than 3 years so that I still have 1 good battery by the end of my phone's life.

Edit: Although I haven't had to do a battery pull on my Droid for months, I have had to do that a few times. What do you do when the battery is non-removable?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  7. aggiechase37

aggiechase37 New Member

Why would they put the "@" symbol there? I like it where it is on the DROID3!!!
  8. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

It's where it is on a PC keyboard.
  9. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

I love my d3, but the keyboard has been acting up lately. Won't register the space bar. People were saying its software not hardware, but it didn't get any better with the update.

Maybe if I make a record of returning my d3 I'll get a d4 when I return my d3 for the 10th time, lol.

But I'm with the concerned crowd about battery pull...maybe there will be a reset?

10. loki993

loki993 New Member

I just think its looks kinda blocky. Not sleek at all. The screen looks like a huge hump on top of it.

The only thing is that the pics make it look like it has the rubber keyboard like the D1/D2, please dont go back to that. I like the D3 keyboard a whole lot better.
  11. Jonas

Jonas New Member

Personally, this has me greatly excited! I was looking into the Prime, or the Nexus, but I was just not liking the lack of a slide out keyboard. Being a teen hacker, I am CONSTANTLY texting on the go, and walking and texting can be made simple by a physical keyboard, so I don't have to look down. Also, I love the idea that even when hacking, and I happen to corrupt my soft keyboard, I still have a handy slideout keyboard in case, as I have ruined quite a few soft keyboard apps with my tinkering. Also, I have been with the droid model since it was released, and I am currently on D2G, sitting on it, since the D3 didn't look that much better. I'm hoping this Droid model wont be more hype than product like the D3 was.

To be honest guys, whether is has ICS, or Froyo, it really doesn't matter, because if you do just a wee bit of reading and asking around, you will find that putting a rom on your phone is quite simple, and you can do away with your hated blur, or you can get ICS like you want, or you can make this thing look like the OG. So that really shouldn't even enter your mind when buying this phone. Plus, I'm seeing ICS put on this phone. If not before it launches, very soon after. If they didn't it would be like selling a new ferrari with a 3 year old engine thats been sitting on the shelf.
  12. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

So you thought the d2 was a huge upgrade over d1, but didn't think d3 was much better than d2? Sounds backwards to me...

13. akhi216

akhi216 Member

4G LTE connectivity.

On Howard Forums they said that it does have a removable battery. I wonder who's right...

Agreed.

Of course they meant a phone with a slide-out keyboard, 4G LTE, and a dual-core processor.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  14. dtdlurch

dtdlurch New Member

As a D3 owner, this pisses me off.

Motorola has finally done it. I'm through with them. I cut them some slack on MotoBlur, Pentile, and even locked bootloaders....

I know its all apart of the "game". Release something cool, people go buy it, and then release something cooler later to keep money coming in. But, seeing this only 3 months after the DROID 3 came out, after having a three year trend of releasing the next iteration on a yearly basis, pisses me off. I've been a loyal Motorola DROID user and while the company has made some not so smart decisions in the past, this is the first time I feel like I've been taken advantage of.
  15. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

Well, if the bionic teaches us anything, the d4 could still be more than a year away.....

16. voodoodaddy

voodoodaddy New Member

Un-f'ing-believable. The ONE thing I wanted was a slider with 4g. Now Im stuck with Bionic for 2yrs unless I want to buy off contract for, presumably, $600 :mad:
  17. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

No reason to get upset. Technology comes in steps, not in leaps. Most D3 owners knew what they were getting into when they bought the phone. Besides, no one knows when this is coming out. If it's anything like the Bionic or Thunderbolt, we'll be seeing pics now but it won't be released until at least January or February of next year.
  18. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

I got the D3 because it was a vast improvement over the D1. This in no way upsets me, this is a prototype and might not be released for months. The D2 came out less than a year after the D1 so not concerned about a new phone coming out shortly after mine. This is a nice looking device, not sure if I like the non-removable battery though. This is a nice progression of the Droid line. If you look at it from a casual user standpoint this will be a good phone. We can't always look at things from a hackers standpoint. Bootloaders, bloat and Blur aren't of concern to most customers.

LLR0717
  19. dtdlurch

dtdlurch New Member

I agree. I know how the game works. I know companies sucker me into paying for a new phone every year (or less). But, I think the reason I'm upset with this is that it is such a blatant "Ha! Gotcha!". I know I'm a sucker, but this time, I feel like its getting rubbed in my face.

If I was a Bionic owner, I would be pissed about the RAZR....
  20. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

Yes. I like this.

D1 came out in October 2009
    D2 in August 2010
    D3 in July 2011

So this will probably come out in May or June of 2012. Perfect timing for me, I got my D1 in May of 2010.:biggrin: