Just Ordered Galaxy Nexus

brandct

Reaction score
Well I finally got tired of my iPhone and decided to come back to the Android OS. I bought a Galaxy Nexus today and it should be here Thursday. So what kind of results can I expect out of this thing. I know when I had my Droid 1 you could really help them out by rooting and romming them. So any advice would be wonderful.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd say run it stock for a few days, see if you like the phone. If you root and ROM right off the bat and an issue comes up you're gonna have to undo that so save yourself some time. Get familiar with ICS in its stock form and make sure your phone isn't a lemon. That's what I did, I ran it stock for about 3 or 4 days, no issues and decided to root and ROM it.

If you do want to ROM it right off the bat there's a good variety of good ROMs out there. Personally I ran Android Revolution HD (which doesn't seem to be supported by the dev anymore) and just flashed over to AOKP 2 days ago and love it. It's smooth, fast, gets great battery life due to the Android OS bug fix, and with my updated radios I get even stronger signal. It's literally like having a new phone to me and I'm getting 4g in places I never did before.

OP
B

brandct

Reaction score
Yeah that is what I was thinking. I have to work Thurs Fri Sat and Sunday so I figured I would take the time in my days off to root and rom.

droidkm

Reaction score
just fyi, there are a number of new, fairly sick phones coming out in the coming days and months that you might want to keep an eye on while you can still return. for example the galaxy sIII is most likely going to be fantastic.

GoBears

Reaction score
Is Big Red even getting the SIII? Anyway, I would definitely unlock the bootloader first thing because when you do it, it completely wipes the device. You can always root/rom later whenever you choose. Enjoy the awesome new phone!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sadly I don't think Verizon will get the SGIII, even if they do it will most likely be months after other carriers.

OP
B

brandct

Reaction score
just fyi, there are a number of new, fairly sick phones coming out in the coming days and months that you might want to keep an eye on while you can still return. for example the galaxy sIII is most likely going to be fantastic.

I will keep an eye out on that, but I mainly bought this phone for the ability to root and rom it like I could my old D1. I was changing stuff on it almost every other day just to try everything out. I like that feature about it and it being bloatware free really is something I like, but I will keep my options open.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the SIII comes to Verizon it's looking to be a simultaneous launch this year. At least in the states. So, I don't think it should be too far after the GSM version, if not right when it comes out. But this isn't all factual yet, just rumored.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Is Big Red even getting the SIII? Anyway, I would definitely unlock the bootloader first thing because when you do it, it completely wipes the device. You can always root/rom later whenever you choose. Enjoy the awesome new phone!

Yes unlocking the bootloader is not a bad idea if you plan on rooting, since as mentioned it does wipe everything.

As for the SIII, do the Exynos chips work with LTE yet? If not, then even if Verizon gets an SGS3, it potentially could be gimped by using a different processor.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cupfulloflol said:
Yes unlocking the bootloader is not a bad idea if you plan on rooting, since as mentioned it does wipe everything.

As for the SIII, do the Exynos chips work with LTE yet? If not, then even if Verizon gets an SGS3, it potentially could be gimped by using a different processor.

Yep, Exynos supports LTE now.

Klaista2k

Reaction score
I wanted to order the Nexus myself but just couldn't get over the reported horrible battery life.

Good luck with it hopefully you like it.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Battery life is fine: nexus battery 17.jpg

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, my battery life was horrible stock. I got 5-6hrs.

Rooted I get 14-19hrs plus. My most is over a day on Gummy a few weeks after I got the Nexus.. sadly, haven't been able to replicate. =/

scott craft

Reaction score
I've thought about getting a nexus off craigslist or ebay. I'm a bit concerned about the reception issues I've read some people have. Is this something that can be corrected by rooting and romming?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know what causes the signal issues that some people have so I couldn't tell you if romming/rooting would help, although the 4.0.5 update could fix it. I don't have the issue at all, so either it's location related or bad hardware. If you want one, get it, test it out, see if you have any issues and return it if your's has the issue.

It's worth a test drive, I enjoy it everyday like it's the first day I bought it.