Jelly Bean and Battery Life

aarong03

Reaction score
Yes your English is very good! Mine appears to be signal related...it keeps trying to lock onto a signal. This is only happening in one location - where I work. I work in an old World War II building with no wifi and no 4G. I put the phone on 3G but apparently it still has difficulty during the day. My battery drain and wake locks stop as soon as I leave work. I also had only occasion where Gmail was syncing and would not stop. I have since stopped all auto-sync function. You could try that. If you have apps set to auto update try turning that off. Mine appears perfectly normal today - but I am at home rather than work. I will most likely see the battery drop Monday when I am back at work. Read thru this thread as Telescopist said...there are a lot of good tips in it! Today it has been off the charger since 6 am and I am at 89% left. I won't need to charge till tomorrow night.

You might want to try LTE on/off app. It allows you to keep it on 3G all the time. I've used it since ICS. Because my phone even though it was set to LTE/CDMA it was always looking for 4G. But with this app it doesn't. Works really well.

TriciaH

Reaction score
I do use that at work to lock 3G in. But apparently the phone is having problems with 3G too. Has only been over the last four or five days...otherwise strong 3G. You would have to see this piece of garbage building I work in. We are lucky to have electricity....

aarong03

Reaction score
I do use that at work to lock 3G in. But apparently the phone is having problems with 3G too. Has only been over the last four or five days...otherwise strong 3G. You would have to see this piece of garbage building I work in. We are lucky to have electricity....

Ok, I may have missed it, are you on JB or ICS(211/215)? You might want to try an FDR. I know you might not want to, but I'm doing one right on my maxx. Updated to JB last night and want a clean slate. Well I'm sure you'll get some feedback

TriciaH

Reaction score
I have been on JB since Christmas Eve. I got one of the erroneous updates that actually worked better than the final lol. I have not done a FDR and that will be the last last resort. As it appears to be location based...i.e. it is not doing it today and doesn't do it in the evenings, I don't see what an FDR is going to do. It won't change the garbage connections we get at work. I just did another cache clear. Otherwise I have zero issues with JB.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
For those of you that are having bad battery life, are you running an Exchange email client or corporate email? Up until recently I have been using just gmail but my new job requires that I have access to my work email at all times. So, I used the included corporate email client to set it up.

Since doing so, my battery life has dropped off quite a bit. I am usually at 80% after a full day of use but today I hit 80% after only 6 hours.

I'm wondering if the corporate email is the culprit in my case.

David

avenged61973

Reaction score
Hey guys check your battery stats and see if media is keeping your phone awake. I have a regular razr (not the max) and my battery life really suffered from this.ispent thursday and friday researching this and all day today doing fdrs and going through all of the old files on my phone. Even after fdrs there are still a lot of leftover files from apps such as thumbnails and cache that for some reason dont get cleared out after a fdr. (Well atleast on my phone).i went through every file on my phone and deleted everything i felt comfotable deleting, formatting my sd card, and using the one and only droid razr utility to flash jelly bean and wipe data. I did this just in case I deleted a file I shouldnt have and now I know I am completely stock again. I set my phone up until the battery got to 15%. Then shut off my phone and charged it to full. When it finished charging I booted up and media no longer appears on my battery stats it took over 2 hours to go from 100% to 90%. I think I finally got my razr back!!! previously it would drain in 15 or 20 minutes. You could watch it count down until 89 or 85%. Media would keep my phone awake for 5 or 6 hous some days.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Stigasteve

Reaction score
Hey guys check your battery stats and see if media is keeping your phone awake. I have a regular razr (not the max) and my battery life really suffered from this.ispent thursday and friday researching this and all day today doing fdrs and going through all of the old files on my phone. Even after fdrs there are still a lot of leftover files from apps such as thumbnails and cache that for some reason dont get cleared out after a fdr. (Well atleast on my phone).i went through every file on my phone and deleted everything i felt comfotable deleting, formatting my sd card, and using the one and only droid razr utility to flash jelly bean and wipe data. I did this just in case I deleted a file I shouldnt have and now I know I am completely stock again. I set my phone up until the battery got to 15%. Then shut off my phone and charged it to full. When it finished charging I booted up and media no longer appears on my battery stats it took over 2 hours to go from 100% to 90%. I think I finally got my razr back!!! previously it would drain in 15 or 20 minutes. You could watch it count down until 89 or 85%. Media would keep my phone awake for 5 or 6 hous some days.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

I have the same problem with media but force stopping it works, just have to do our everyone i reboot my phone

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

avenged61973

Reaction score
I know but I can't leave well enough alone I had to find a fix for it. It's your media server searching through your phone for pictures music etc.

TriciaH

Reaction score
Yep mine is media too. It keeps the phone awake. The other day out of 10 hours on battery time it was awake for 9.5 hours. Today...awake 35 minutes lol. There is nothing new on the phone....it doesn't have anything to search for for 10 hours lol. The fact that its keeping the phone awake will drain the battery too. If you use the original battery app that comes in the phone (settings, battery) and tap the gray bar at the top it will show you mobile network, wifi, awake and screen. At work my awake is solid blue while screen is little dashes here and there and mobile network is a broken up green line. Once I leave work, the green line goes solid and the solid blue awake matches the screen on dashes exactly. Check your and see if the awake bar is showing that the phone is awake a lot more than it should be.

Oh I do not use corporate email. So I can't help you with that issue...sorry!

avenged61973

Reaction score
Media has been a thorn in my side since the update on Xmas eve. After all of my work today I think my battery life will be better than Ics. I deleted a lot of useless files. I always thought doing a fdr got rid of all that but I guess I was wrong.

As much as I don't like apple and ios I wish android did updates like apple. Plug it in wipe the whole device and update.

Sometimes when media is running it finds a bad file and runs in a loop, that's why it runs longer some days. It could be a file that has been on your phone for a year that you don't even know about.

Last edited:

TriciaH

Reaction score
I think if I see it going nuts again I will try the force stop. Today it has not been a problem at all. They messed something up with the media thing I think.

VelvetNoir24

Reaction score
Your English is much better than at least half of the people who currently live in the US of A. :hail: If you have been following this thread there have been a number of tips. What I did was pretty radical. I performed a Factory Reset. I did it out of desperation. Once my phone came alive again after the reset, I simply re-installed my favorite applications. Then I charged the battery to full capacity. The phone has been off the charger now for approximately 39 hours. GSam says that I have 57% left. I am happy with that. I do not know for a fact that performing a factory reset did the trick. What I do know is that my battery life was terrible before I did a factory reset.

Yes your English is very good! Mine appears to be signal related...it keeps trying to lock onto a signal. This is only happening in one location - where I work. I work in an old World War II building with no wifi and no 4G. I put the phone on 3G but apparently it still has difficulty during the day. My battery drain and wake locks stop as soon as I leave work. I also had only occasion where Gmail was syncing and would not stop. I have since stopped all auto-sync function. You could try that. If you have apps set to auto update try turning that off. Mine appears perfectly normal today - but I am at home rather than work. I will most likely see the battery drop Monday when I am back at work. Read thru this thread as Telescopist said...there are a lot of good tips in it! Today it has been off the charger since 6 am and I am at 89% left. I won't need to charge till tomorrow night.

Thank you guys :)
I had in mind to do exactly what Telescopist did, I'm going to read all this topic and then try out this solution.
I just discovered that during the night, with airplane mode on, the phone used around 10% of battery doing absolutely nothing, I read it might be a problem with Media so I will keep an eye on it.
I'm sorry (for me) to tell we don't have 4G here in Italy and I didn't noticed any problem signal related before, so I'll check auto-updating apps, I already saw Facebook app is the principal cause of battery draining after JB.

Thank you again! :)

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
Thank you guys :)
I had in mind to do exactly what Telescopist did, I'm going to read all this topic and then try out this solution.
I just discovered that during the night, with airplane mode on, the phone used around 10% of battery doing absolutely nothing, I read it might be a problem with Media so I will keep an eye on it.
I'm sorry (for me) to tell we don't have 4G here in Italy and I didn't noticed any problem signal related before, so I'll check auto-updating apps, I already saw Facebook app is the principal cause of battery draining after JB.

Thank you again! :)

I'm rolling right along... Here is the latest screen shot. View attachment 61441
Although I swear that I have been unplugged from a charger for 57 hours. Unless I mistakenly plugged the phone in for a minute or two and that reset the GSam metrix....:blink: I think that the factory reset did the trick. Off topic...What if anything is anyone doing about tethering under JB. Root?

avenged61973

Reaction score
Yes.
1. Power off your phone.
2. Press the power key, volume up and down at the same time.
3. By pressing volume down choose recovery mode, and push volume up to select.
You will see the red moto logo then a DROID on his back. Give it a minute or two and a menu will come up.
4. Highlight clear cache by pressing volume up or down. Then press power to select.
5. When it's finished select reboot phone by pressing power.

_skibum

Reaction score
Mine is getting better by the day. I did 3 FDRs trying to fix a problem, and I think I was just prolonging things. I took a screen shot a few minutes ago. By coincidence, I also had one from 2 days ago for approximately the same length off time - 27hrs. The usage has changed, but things are much better. I think the phone does a whole lot of background work the first few days after the OS gets installed. Every time I reloaded, it started all over again.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I disabled Chrome's tilt scroll feature as referenced in a post somewhere on here sometime yesterday. Not sure if that is helping or not.

View attachment 61444

View attachment 61445

Last edited: