What's your battery life like with the new JB?

Bup

Reaction score
I side-loaded the new Jelly Bean OS and have noticed a significant reduction in battery life. I did two complete FDR's and even formatted the SD card. I also "calibrated" the battery as instructed from a previous thread. I am getting maybe 6-8 hours out of my battery before it's time to hook up the charger. Use is very light...... a few phone calls (no more than 15 minutes in length), an hours worth of Facebook and Twitter (combined), no needless apps downloaded or running, and maybe 30 minutes worth of playing some music. I know I'm forgetting a few items but it doesn't amount to much time or usage. What gives?

RAZR 98.72.16 XT912 on JB v4.1.2

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
GPS or Google Now constantly running?

Maybe the battery is just going bad?

OP
B

Bup

Reaction score
GPS or Google Now constantly running?

Maybe the battery is just going bad?

No GPS running at all. WiFi only running when I'm at home and connected to the router. Google Now doesn't even show up on my list of running apps. The phone is only 1 year old so I don't see the battery being the issue. The battery life was pretty good on ICS and had no complaints to speak of.

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
My phone was off the charger from 7 am yesterday to 1 am this morning, battery was at 50% (battery indicator does in 1% increments so it was accurate).

Prior to JB it would have been at 10-20%.

I'm also a heavy user, on my phone all day either with games, GPS, Google Now, etc.

We are the Droid!!
You will be assimilated!!
Resistance is futile!!

devdeuce

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20130312_113540.png

There is no spoon

Raydee35

Reaction score
Click on that Media and see if it is running all the time. That was a huge problem with my Razr running earlier ICS versions.

OleManDan

Reaction score
After uploading my battery life increased a little more than 10%.
I'm frugal with my data an only use it on demand, so... I don't have unlimited data, so I run WIFI at home, and at work, It is a battery drain, but not bad.
I have about 70% battery left after a days use and being on 18 hours.
Can't complain.

jp233

Reaction score
Use wifi over 4G/3G any time you can. Makes a HUGE difference on battery life. 4G sucks the life out of my battery.

Use smart actions for when your phone is inactive, i.e. not moving, screen off, not charging make it turn off data sync etc.

OP
B

Bup

Reaction score
After uploading my battery life increased a little more than 10%.
I'm frugal with my data an only use it on demand, so... I don't have unlimited data, so I run WIFI at home, and at work, It is a battery drain, but not bad.
I have about 70% battery left after a days use and being on 18 hours.
Can't complain.

I'm on WiFi when I'm at home. When at work, it uses 4G/3G for about 8 hours. I can be fully charged and the phone will be dead by the end of my work day. I realize 4G/3G uses battery but this is ridiculous. I've uninstalled ALL apps previously downloaded and ran on stock JB 4.1.2 for a couple of days and there wasn't much change. Obviously, heavier use yielded higher battery consumption but even with light to very light use I should be getting wayyyy more life out of this thing.

yzonker

Reaction score
I have been getting much poorer battery life also. Android OS shows up as using far more than previously. I may have it fixed though. I *think* turning off bluetooth keeps that from happening. Although I also turned off gps and location services at the same time. I need to test each one.

ServerTech

Reaction score
My Maxx has always been 100% stock.
On GB battery life was good. When on OTA ICS my battery life was horrible.
Then wiped cache, manually put the Christmas leak JB on, had to do a FDR which lost all my apps but battery life was much better.
Now on final OTA JB and battery life is better than it ever was. Loving my Maxx now. Was going to buy a G3 of G4 but no reason to get rid of the Maxx now.
Hope this helps somebody.

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
My battery has suffered since the update to JB. The offender seems to consistently be the Kernal, OS. I have seen this mentioned through several posts. I have cleared cache and completed a battery monitor calibration. I could be remembering wrong, but it seems like I had the same issue when I went to the ICS upgrade and it settled down after awhile.

newmanx4

Reaction score
It's a little work, but a factory reset is always a good idea after any update to straighten things out.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

yzonker

Reaction score
I did a factory reset along with clearing the cache. Not change at all.