Jelly Bean and Battery Life

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
For, me, the FDR's helped the kernal issue, but not the wakelock. I feel like there is a setting I am missing since the FDR. It is wild all the options being posed. Global is off, 3rd party launcher in use, tilt turned off in Chrome, so on and so on... I haven't thought about RILD in some time. Excellent memory! And excellent point. I wouldn't rule anything out. But it is weird how many are not only NOT having issues but in fact have improved battery.

Yes. Please note that I was the first person who attempted this bold maneuver. My MAXX has been on now for @ 28 hours and GSam says that there is 64% left. I did another factory reset after rooting the phone because once again because the battery was in run away usage. The factory reset seems to straighten things out.

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
So noted Telescopist... Ha! I must say that it was your results that encouraged me to do 2 more FDRs just in case. You can see in my screenshot that wakelock is out of control overnight, then became sporadic. I made some changes this morning, but want to see if is just temporary before believing it may be addressed.

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
So noted Telescopist... Ha! I must say that it was your results that encouraged me to do 2 more FDRs just in case. You can see in my screenshot that wakelock is out of control overnight, then became sporadic. I made some changes this morning, but want to see if is just temporary before believing it may be addressed.

Waxing philosophical, we are really blessed that Verizon bestows upon up these 'upgrades'. It implies that some of us become mini programmers and mechanics of sorts. :D It took forever for ICS in OTA to come on Razrs as I recall. Then when it did, it was like....okay what was all the clamor about. I would have to say that JB amounts to about the same. I haven't indulged in the Google Now 'experience' yet so maybe the 'wait' was worth it. I am sure that it will represent some life changing experience: I just don't know it yet. But at the cost of my precious battery consumption? Don't care to find out. :happy3:

TriciaH

Reaction score
I had two apk files on the internal storage - I did delete those this morning. Except for a few ringtones I have everything on the external SD card. I noted today that Google Services is very active - including bookmark sync which would be okay if I actually wanted to sync bookmarks or used a browser that it could sync to. I do not have chrome on the PC at home so that is out. I use FF. And I don't use FF on the phone so that is out lol. I just keep digging deeper and deeper into the bowels of the phone to find the cause of the constant wake locks.

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I still think I may have the wakelock beat. Since I adjusted some settings in the app Pulse. I don't suppose those with wake lock issues have Pulse??? It couldn't be that easy... Telescopist.... You may very well be onto another great idea as well with the Google Now. I haven't seen much hit in my stats with it, but I am wondering how could that be???

helron

Reaction score
I did a complete reinstall of jelly bean from Matt Goff instructions. My battery life has increased tremendously. Yes.. I did have to wipe data but I suspect that wiping data help increase my battery life. If you suffer put battery after the official o.t.a I suggest you go to droidforums.net read...and reinstall jelly bean. U can root too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TriciaH

Reaction score
No I don't have the app Pulse. You are right - that would have been too easy. Rats. I do not have Google Now set up. There are enough people watching me and I don't need big brother anticipating my every move. I did notice today that Google Services has a load of wake locks - it is at the top of the list on GSam number of wake locks at 180. Are these stupid things taking turns? I did disable background data at work again and it has been unplugged since 5 AM (it is now 4:30 PM) and I am at 85%. I basically just use phone and texting at work. Somehow that is allowing the phone to sleep which it was not doing previously.

TriciaH

Reaction score
I just uninstalled Chrome updates and then was able to totally disable it. Wonder if there will be fallout from that. Is it considered a system app? Anyone disable it and if so, did you have problems afterwards?

aarong03

Reaction score
I just uninstalled Chrome updates and then was able to totally disable it. Wonder if there will be fallout from that. Is it considered a system app? Anyone disable it and if so, did you have problems afterwards?

I froze chrome with TB and have not seen or had any problems.

GotnFX

Reaction score

If I am not mistaken, this feature was introduced with ICS. My understanding is that you could possibly get an error if an OTA update is pushed. The simple fix would be to reinstall.

For the wake lock issues, do you have GPS on?

TriciaH

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, this feature was introduced with ICS. My understanding is that you could possibly get an error if an OTA update is pushed. The simple fix would be to reinstall.

For the wake lock issues, do you have GPS on?

All I would need to do is re-enable it. Its at the bottom of my app list. Along with a bunch of other disabled things that I never have used. No I don't have GPS on. I checked that right off to see if an app had turned that on. I have never dug so deep into a phone in my life till this wake lock garbage started!

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Oh no! Please get rid of that task manager...if it is auto killing apps that can be part of your battery woes. Android handles the s tasks great and in jelly bean it is better than ever. If you are automatically killing background tasks, the phone is continually restarting them..this is a never-ending loop of killing the battery. Try getting rid of the task manager for a while and see if that helps.
Done! Got rid of it.