Jelly Bean and Battery Life

bocabean

Reaction score
My battery is suddenly improving in a very dramatic way since changing a number of items. Making greater use of WiFi at home, utilizing Smart Actions and phone settings to save as much battery life as possible. Just days ago, I was lucky to get to about 15 hours with 20% left. Now see the difference. I am rooted, using the stock launcher.

View attachment 61460

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
My battery is suddenly improving in a very dramatic way since changing a number of items. Making greater use of WiFi at home, utilizing Smart Actions and phone settings to save as much battery life as possible. Just days ago, I was lucky to get to about 15 hours with 20% left. Now see the difference. I am rooted, using the stock launcher.

View attachment 61460

It seems to me that radical changes 'shock' App Usage. I could not leave well enough alone. Yesterday, I rooted the phone so that I could once again tether to other devices. The root took 2 attempts but this wasn't a big deal. KaChow's Entitlement Hack worked flawlessly. However battery life took a dive. So, I went ahead and performed another factory reset. I had to reload all my programs. Also lost the Entitlement Hack and had to get that back. I've never had a back up procedure in place. I wondering if I should load something like Titanium Backup. Any suggestions?

aarong03

Reaction score
It seems to me that radical changes 'shock' App Usage. I could not leave well enough alone. Yesterday, I rooted the phone so that I could once again tether to other devices. The root took 2 attempts but this wasn't a big deal. KaChow's Entitlement Hack worked flawlessly. However battery life took a dive. So, I went ahead and performed another factory reset. I had to reload all my programs. Also lost the Entitlement Hack and had to get that back. I've never had a back up procedure in place. I wondering if I should load something like Titanium Backup. Any suggestions?

Yes titanium is great. And I also use SMS backup.

TriciaH

Reaction score
Well this morning there is no 3G at work at all. LTE On/Off either isn't working (would be odd) or this place has found a way to block it. I think I would go with that one. No 1X either. No WiFi either. I get a 4G signal but its poor and the battery has already dropped 5% in a half hour. Media and System Wake Lock have the phone awake 100% of the time. Did a force close on media but don't see where it did anything. This DRM may just meet its make sooner than its planned EOL. There is a wall that is begging to have a phone pitched at it! I never should have taken the final update to JB. The half-baked one in December was so much more stable and I had no problems at all.

moset

Reaction score
Here's my take on updates in general. Back in the days of OG Droid i was a crack flasher. I must have tried every new custom ROM that was released. The rule was to ALWAYS do an FDR, clear all cache BEFORE flashing the ROM.
Also let it settle in ( just let it sit idle) after the first boot.
I had an issue with my speaker so i finally decided to get a replacement phone. Of course this meant starting with a clean slate before updating to JB. I let it boot, stopped any app updates checked for updates, let JB update, then restored my apps. Internal storage was basically empty.
I think, as far as battery my old (16 months) Maxx, the battery had degraded from use. Battery life is much improved on the CLN replacement.
But the response of the new phone is much quicker. Everything works well and very snappy.
I'm convince that a clean install is responsible for that.
The replacement was free even though the factory warranty had expired because of having insurance. They said as long as i keep insurance the warrantee remains.
For what it's worth I think the clean update had a real impact.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
My final straw came over the weekend. While having battery issues since the update, I was completing yet another battery monitor calibration. I went to bed Friday with 58% of battery and awoke 7 hours later to a dead Maxx. After charging it up all day, I completed 2 back to back FDR's and a cache clean. I had forgotten some very wise comments on doing 2 FDRs. It seems to have made a difference. We shall see.

avenged61973

Reaction score
Here's my take on updates in general. Back in the days of OG Droid i was a crack flasher. I must have tried every new custom ROM that was released. The rule was to ALWAYS do an FDR, clear all cache BEFORE flashing the ROM.
Also let it settle in ( just let it sit idle) after the first boot.
I had an issue with my speaker so i finally decided to get a replacement phone. Of course this meant starting with a clean slate before updating to JB. I let it boot, stopped any app updates checked for updates, let JB update, then restored my apps. Internal storage was basically empty.
I think, as far as battery my old (16 months) Maxx, the battery had degraded from use. Battery life is much improved on the CLN replacement.
But the response of the new phone is much quicker. Everything works well and very snappy.
I'm convince that a clean install is responsible for that.
The replacement was free even though the factory warranty had expired because of having insurance. They said as long as i keep insurance the warrantee remains.
For what it's worth I think the clean update had a real impact.

I agree! I was having issues with media draining my battery. I did a fdr and went through and deleted old app files manually, formatted my sd card and reinstalled JB with RAZR utility and all my problems have gone away.

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Have we made any progress with the wakelock media for those of us who are not rooted? Ha!! After repeated FDR's, now wakelock is the culprit. Thanks to pouring over these threads, I KNEW I had seen comments regarding wakelock.

TriciaH

Reaction score
I am still having issues with wakelock. I have decided when at work with very poor signal to just disable background data. Otherwise the phone is constantly searching for a useable signal and its just not gonna happen. System wakelock is an expert at keeping the phone awake all the time. So the FDR did not fix the wakelock issue? I think there are a couple threads on the wakelock issue. And its always mediaserver. I have force stopped Media itself but really could not tell if it did anything. No option for that of course with a system file. Anyone remember the old RILD issue? I wonder if this mediaserver is similar to that issue.

avenged61973

Reaction score
This is what I have on my regular RAZR since I cleaned out old app files on my internal and external memory. No more media issues. I had to manually get rid of what fdrs don't.

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
For, me, the FDR's helped the kernal issue, but not the wakelock. I feel like there is a setting I am missing since the FDR. It is wild all the options being posed. Global is off, 3rd party launcher in use, tilt turned off in Chrome, so on and so on... I haven't thought about RILD in some time. Excellent memory! And excellent point. I wouldn't rule anything out. But it is weird how many are not only NOT having issues but in fact have improved battery.

avenged61973

Reaction score
Forgot to post screen shot. Oops!
emunubep.jpg