Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

aarong03

Reaction score
What the heck is wakelock?

ajary4ej.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is what I found,

1 down vote

A wake lock is essentially used to lock the device in an "awake" state, in which the CPU will be on, and the screen may or may not be on.

It is not possible to do these tasks without a wakelock if the phone is in sleep otherwise, as then the CPU is also in sleep mode. However, if the user is using the device for something else, and your app is in the background, you can do these tasks without a wakelock.

Keep in mind that almost everything you're doing is battery intensive (sensors, WiFi, wakelock) and you should not do it too often so that you don't degrade the user's battery life.

I found this helpful.

TriciaH

Reaction score
System wakelock with included processes mediaserver and *wakelock* have kept the phone awake 3 hours and 1 minute out of 3 hours and 42 minutes since rebooting after I disabled the tilt in Chrome. That is at 9.1% of battery use at the top of the list. Guess I am going to have to figure out what app is going stupid. Mediaserver does not tell me much - or I do not understand what it is telling me. Maps is not running. Google now is not set up. No streaming music. Not downloading anything or watching videos. At work most of that is pretty much out.

GotnFX

Reaction score
System wakelock with included processes mediaserver and *wakelock* have kept the phone awake 3 hours and 1 minute out of 3 hours and 42 minutes since rebooting after I disabled the tilt in Chrome. That is at 9.1% of battery use at the top of the list. Guess I am going to have to figure out what app is going stupid. Mediaserver does not tell me much - or I do not understand what it is telling me. Maps is not running. Google now is not set up. No streaming music. Not downloading anything or watching videos. At work most of that is pretty much out.

For media server, are you using motocast, dropbox or VZ back up assistant? Those could be looking to sync..or have something to download but can't cuz no space is available on one of those cloud services.

TriciaH

Reaction score
I don't use Motocast, dropbox or VZ backup assistant. I only sync to Google and that is manually started - not set to auto sync. No apps are set to auto-update either. I have Picasa set to update over WiFi only and I am on 3G here at the office. Strange huh. Most of the Verizon bloat apps are disabled. Not uninstalled, just disabled.

Oh I only do Facebook at home too - not on the phone. I am just no fun huh lol.

Last edited:

TriciaH

Reaction score
Well I just dug thru the All Apps section and it appears that Backup assistant Plus, backup assistant + contacts and backup assistant + media are not disabled anymore. I would have to force stop them to disable. Safe to do this? I don't use backup assistant.

GotnFX

Reaction score
Well I just dug thru the All Apps section and it appears that Backup assistant Plus, backup assistant + contacts and backup assistant + media are not disabled anymore. I would have to force stop them to disable. Safe to do this? I don't use backup assistant.

If you don't use them and if its there under the manage apps...go ahead and disable if it allows you to. I never set mine up so it doesn't even show up.

TriciaH

Reaction score
Ok cancel that idea! You can force stop them but disable is grayed out which is probably why they were not disable from the start. I disabled a bunch of garbage I will never use and have never used. Guess there was a reason this garbage was not disabled.

TriciaH

Reaction score
Well now I have another "thought". The whole time I was at work today, the phone never slept. I used the old original battery app that the phone comes with and it showed a solid blue line for keep awake the whole day. Then I got home. And the blue line stopped. Now it only appears when I have turned on the screen. Whereas there was only 30 minutes that the phone slept the whole time I was at work, now there is five hours of time that it slept. Can something like this be location based??

TriciaH

Reaction score
This is what I mean. WE have no 4G or wifi at work. The solid blue line is a good part of the day at work...notice how little the screen was on and the broken network signal. The solid green starts as I leave work, and coincidentally that is when the solid blue line stops. View attachment 61410

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
This is what I mean. WE have no 4G or wifi at work. The solid blue line is a good part of the day at work...notice how little the screen was on and the broken network signal. The solid green starts as I leave work, and coincidentally that is when the solid blue line stops. View attachment 61410

Can't help you with that. It appears to me that the screen is a big resource hog. It has now been over 24 hours since I took my first screen shot of GSam (#52) At 8pm last night I had consumed 22% of the battery. That was a 'decent' measurement since it was split in two parts: all night when the phone was not very active and all day when there was activity. It is now just 8:32am. GSam reports that the phone has consumed 33% of the battery. The screen is the biggest offender - 27%. Phone Radio 19.4%, App Usage 35%. The Kernal has 'calmed way down' at 18.5%. I'm gonna turn Bluetooth off when not in use. Just observed that it is gobbling up 12.5%. This is a surprise. I use to keep it on all the time when I had ICS. It seem to me that the ICS OS had a way of putting Bluetooth to sleep when it wasn't in use. This obviously isn't happening under JB. These 'upgrades' are killing me. :blink: I don't know what to conclude. Was the factory reset that I performed 2 days ago the game changer? Battery life has definitely improved. On par now with ICS. Maybe not quite as good but when I think back to the days when 3 hours of phone conversation and a couple of more hours of working on other tasks drained the battery...things are a vast improvement with the MAXX.

VelvetNoir24

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
as many I've the same battery problem after updating to Jelly Bean: the phone becomes very hot during the day, around 37° C degrees (before was around 25° C degrees), and it doesn't last more then 12 hours even if I don't use them (but with 3G always turned on, before it lasted more than 36 hours).

I'm from Italy, I buyed the telephone from a web-shop and they sent me a device for the French market (France retail).
I'm not on Verizon, I didn't do and don't want to root it if it's possible. Can you tell me anything to do to solve the problem?

Thank you very much and sorry for my English!

OP
Telescopist

Telescopist

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
as many I've the same battery problem after updating to Jelly Bean: the phone becomes very hot during the day, around 37° C degrees (before was around 25° C degrees), and it doesn't last more then 12 hours even if I don't use them (but with 3G always turned on, before it lasted more than 36 hours).

I'm from Italy, I buyed the telephone from a web-shop and they sent me a device for the French market (France retail).
I'm not on Verizon, I didn't do and don't want to root it if it's possible. Can you tell me anything to do to solve the problem?

Thank you very much and sorry for my English!

Your English is much better than at least half of the people who currently live in the US of A. :hail: If you have been following this thread there have been a number of tips. What I did was pretty radical. I performed a Factory Reset. I did it out of desperation. Once my phone came alive again after the reset, I simply re-installed my favorite applications. Then I charged the battery to full capacity. The phone has been off the charger now for approximately 39 hours. GSam says that I have 57% left. I am happy with that. I do not know for a fact that performing a factory reset did the trick. What I do know is that my battery life was terrible before I did a factory reset.

TriciaH

Reaction score
Yes your English is very good! Mine appears to be signal related...it keeps trying to lock onto a signal. This is only happening in one location - where I work. I work in an old World War II building with no wifi and no 4G. I put the phone on 3G but apparently it still has difficulty during the day. My battery drain and wake locks stop as soon as I leave work. I also had only occasion where Gmail was syncing and would not stop. I have since stopped all auto-sync function. You could try that. If you have apps set to auto update try turning that off. Mine appears perfectly normal today - but I am at home rather than work. I will most likely see the battery drop Monday when I am back at work. Read thru this thread as Telescopist said...there are a lot of good tips in it! Today it has been off the charger since 6 am and I am at 89% left. I won't need to charge till tomorrow night.