Jelly Bean and Battery Life

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by Telescopist, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Telescopist

Telescopist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I put the phone on a charger at around 2pm yesterday. Used it very little. It was 'inactive' from 10pm to 8pm. GSam says I'm down to 64%. Application Usage constitutes 50% whith the Kernel the biggest offender - 37.4%. I'm not happy at all. Here is what I am thinking about doing. Desperate times require desperate measures. I thinking about going into Settings>Privacy>and doing a Factory data reset. Then re-install only the applications that I need and see if I can improve battery life. First though, I’d like to know if whether battery life may be compromised by the fact that Google apps access to my location is switched ‘on’. Notes indicated that while switched on Google apps access locations even while not in use. Non –Google apps are turned off in Settings>Location access. Will turning these things off have an effect on battery consumption? What if anything is the downside? Will I no longer be able to use tools like Car Home Ultra and Google Maps/Navigation tools?

2. Adam74

Adam74 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S5
    I too have seen about a 20% drop in battery life since the JB update. Kernal rules the heap with over 60% most of the time. Maps 2nd. It seems to be settling down over the past day or so. FDR, clear Cache and battery monitor calibration hasn't affected it in the least. At least with the Maxx, I still get through the day fine.

3. lghtngblt02

lghtngblt02 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I am one of the few who have seen an increase in battery life... went from aroudn 14 hrs avg to nearly 20 hrs pn charge and I have changed nothing other than the update. I did clear the cache after the update though.

4. Telescopist

Telescopist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fed up, I just performed a factory reset. Currently loading only those apps I need. I'll probably follow Little Missy's tutorial on recapturing the tethering experience that was lost with the the JB 'upgrade' Too funny calling this an upgrade.

5. Adam74

Adam74 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S5
    I don't consider myself a heavy user. Pre JB, my average was 2 days 22 hrs according to GSam. Now, it is under 48 hours. So, it's not a huge issue for my needs.

6. Telescopist

Telescopist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, by my reckoning you just got wacked for @31% of your battery juice. It took forever before Verizon decided to 'release' this latest and greatest version to those of us who own Razr's. I'd like to know what we got for the upgrade besides a 31% decline in battery life. Google Now? What else that I didn't know I was missing? I just got done loading some of my apps after doing a factory reset. I'm charging again now. Will be interested in seeing my bright move made any difference in consumption of resources.

7. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Senior Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Odd I get much better battery life on JB. ICS was nearly a complete failure for me. Slow, I had lots of pauses and the dreaded redraw, where the home screen would be empty and then slowly add icons one at a time them finally my weather widget.

JB snappy fast on WiFi I can get two days on my phone, 4G at work is another story but I still can go all day. Every one at work has the same problem, iPhone users included. There are several dead zones on the building I work and the phone struggles to get signal.

This was yesterday at my GF's house.
    View attachment 61360

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

8. Adam74

Adam74 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S5
    Your reckoning is correct... I hope your factory reset does more for you than it did me. A bright spot is that as I recall, I had the same battery decline when I first went up to ICS. Over a few weeks, it improved significantly.

9. Telescopist

Telescopist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Adam, my response is in #19.

10. 1coopgt

1coopgt Active Member

Ratings:
    +92
    I had similar problems with my battery after upgrading to JB. I cleared the Cache partition and that seems to have cleared up the battery useage . It's a lot better than ICS now .

11. Telescopist

Telescopist Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Question: I nearly at 7 hours and 5 minutes. How did you attach a snap shot of your GSam? Thanks

12. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Screenshots are done by holding power button and volume up and down buttons down at the same time. Some phones are finicky. There are apps that can be used as well in the play store but when the power, volume up/down button works..it works well.

Search tags for this page
android jelly bean battery saver

best battery saver for android jelly bean

best battery saver for jelly bean
droid razr jelly bean battery
how to save battery on jelly bean
ice cream sandwich vs jelly bean battery life
ics vs jelly bean battery

ics vs jelly bean battery life

razr jelly bean battery
razr maxx battery life after jelly bean