Jailbroken Iphone 4 vs Rooted andorid

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioactive

Reaction score
Funny to expect any one say good about I-phone in a driodforums. I like both the phones. Iphone is easy to us and good for users who dont want to mess around the phone but expect to work all the time. this point grows stronger with Vz getting the phone. Its all individual preferences.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'll try to address all your points. Again, I'm not taking sides just posting my concerns.

I really don't plan on using itunes ever! I would look for a jailbreak app that would allow me drag and drop capability.

Don't have to worry about spotty service, I'll be staying on verizon.

I hear you can customize using winterboard.

LTE will be a long time coming where I live, I am not in a big city so I wouldn't really be "wasting" an upgrade discount.

Winterboard customization can't match an Android device... rooted or unrooted. Not even close! LauncherPro does more cosmeticly to your Droid than Winterboard does to an iPhone.

Just to get drag and drop capability you have to jailbreak, install cydia, download the app, and configure. All for something that you can do right out of the box without rooting on an Android device. And if you don't take the proper precautions (backups) you could lose all of your data that you've dragged and dropped. Remember... If your jailbroken iPhone decides to take a dump and you have to reload your OS you'll lose EVERYTHING because you aren't backed up through itunes and your memory is imbedded in your phone as opposed to a fairly isolated SD card.

No matter what, you're chained to iTunes sooner or later.

True, spotty service is an AT&T thing.

The city thing... well. Can't help ya there.

Do what you like, but the grass definitely isn't greener on the other side of the fence. I used the iPhone for 7 months and I've been using Android for over a year. After living with both I can say without a doubt that the iPhone isn't good enough to take me from Android. Been there done that and I'm sticking with what I've got. Literally, I'm a customer for Android to lose, and they haven't done anything to warrant my switching platforms.

Last edited:
OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I'll try to address all your points. Again, I'm not taking sides just posting my concerns.

I really don't plan on using itunes ever! I would look for a jailbreak app that would allow me drag and drop capability.

Don't have to worry about spotty service, I'll be staying on verizon.

I hear you can customize using winterboard.

LTE will be a long time coming where I live, I am not in a big city so I wouldn't really be "wasting" an upgrade discount.

Winterboard customization can't match an Android device... rooted or unrooted. Not even close! LauncherPro does more cosmeticly to your Droid than Winterboard does to an iPhone.

Just to get drag and drop capability you have to jailbreak, install cydia, download the app, and configure. All for something that you can do right out of the box without rooting on an Android device. And if you don't take the proper precautions (backups) you could lose all of your data that you've dragged and dropped. Remember... If your jailbroken iPhone decides to take a dump and you have to reload your OS you'll lose EVERYTHING because you aren't backed up through itunes and your memory is imbedded in your phone as opposed to a fairly isolated SD card.

No matter what, you're chained to iTunes sooner or later.

True, spotty service is an AT&T thing.

The city thing... well. Can't help ya there.

Do what you like, but the grass definitely isn't greener on the other side of the fence. I used the iPhone for 7 months and I've been using Android for over a year. After living with both I can say without a doubt that the iPhone isn't good enough to take me from Android. Been there done that and I'm sticking with what I've got. Literally, I'm a customer for Android to lose, and they haven't done anything to warrant my switching platforms.

Now this is good info. Thanks.

I was hoping there was something similar to ROM Manager that could backup images and allow restores without Itunes. Hmmm... I guess not..

Ok, so no reliable flash and no backups/restores outside of Itunes then huh....I guess I'll stay Android then.

Thanks!

Gritwater

Reaction score
Dude, a rooted android phone blows a jail broken iphone out of the water

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

wow, only took 1 post for the phanboi's to make an appearance.... I knew it would happen, but I figured the fiirst post would at least TRY to provide a real reason.

"droid is better because I own one" is not a good argument.

Either way, to answer the question, my brother is debating between the two as well. I can simply tell him, I have been able to wireless inet and cancel my home inet to save money, something he's interested in as well, but I am not sure if a jailbroken iPhone can do that or not. iPhone wasn't an option for me last year.... if it had been, IDK which one I would have ended up with. But I like my D2. My uncle loves his DX and a third uncle, who is probably best equipped to own a track phone, not a droid, still loves his D1. I recommended to my brother, a DX. I like the HDMI out, larger screen, etc

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
There was a non-iTunes backup app awhile ago when I had my iPhone but it never worked for me. I always lost my jailbroken apps after re-jailbreaking not to mention non-iTunes supported files. But the bottom line is that if you're going to deal with iPhone upgrades every three months then you have to deal with iTunes. The minute you upgrade your OS you'll lose everything before you can re-jailbreak and your restore app may or may not put everything back due to fundamental changes.

I suggest you go Google the Cydia/BigBoss/DevTeam/etc. stores and see what's available now. My experience was over a year ago. But I doubt it's much different now. Just to do what a Droid does out of the box you'd have to do some hoop-jumping.

Psj77

Reaction score
I've had an iphone, and my current d2g. I love customizing my phone and the iphone just wasn't enough for me. Rooted droids are awesome! But certain aspects of droids are so sweet, like the pull down bar and stuff.

Yeah, but I hear that Iphone's can be customized once jailbroken...
mine was jailbroken, not that much to customize

beavis29290

Reaction score
I had every iphone to date from the 2g to the iphone 4 and just recently switched from att and went to verizon and droid x. On this forum most responses are going to be biased and from what I can tell most people comment with out ever having one. With that said they are both very good phones and as far as customization there really isn't an advatage either or. Both phones are smooth and easy to use. One thing I liked with the iphone was how easy it worked with itunes which I think is an android phone. On the other hand there are a lot more options with an android as far as your settings. When it comes to camera and video options the iphone 4 wins hands down. I know the dx lists a 8mp camera but the iphone camera shots kicks ass.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Funny to expect any one say good about I-phone in a driodforums. I like both the phones. Iphone is easy to us and good for users who dont want to mess around the phone but expect to work all the time. this point grows stronger with Vz getting the phone. Its all individual preferences.

For me, the iPhone offers a superior catalog of apps and a more polished UI; while Android offers a more versatile OS overall. To be honest, i'm pretty heavily invested in iOS apps (iPod Touch 4G) so when this thing hits the market, i'm going to have a really tough decision to make. I may grab the iPhone 4 (not interested in the LTE model as of yet, I don't feel like paying more for my data plan) and hold onto my OG Droid. They SHOULD use the same data plan, so I should be able to do an online device swap between them as the mood suits me.

I LIKE to customize the crap out of my Droid, but only because I CAN. If I had an iPhone and couldn't customize it as much; I can honestly say it wouldn't make THAT much of a difference in my day to day device use. Wouldn't be the first time I used a phone that couldn't be customized.

tktouch12

Reaction score
i'm thinking the iphone 4 on verizon is pretty tempting to me once its jailbroken. i used to be a pretty big android fan, but lately i've been starting to think ios is nicer. it has way nicer apps and a much more polished ui. with jailbreaking you can do almost anything
AND (this is important) it may not have quite as impressive specs as android phones, but it doesnt necessarily need them, because ios is designed to work so perfectly with the specs it has (unlike android which isnt optimized to work on the crazy specs its starting to be given)

i think i'll switch once its jailbroken. definitely better to me even though i used to be hardcore android. i'm pretty sure a lot of people who used to be die hard android fans will switch now that we can (imo we were in denial)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
A rooted Android device gives you as much control over the unit as you do over a PC, and the Linux distro powering our phones is VERY flexible; an iPhone's OS is very limited (which is one of its strengths, but also a major weakness if you're a hacker), so what you can do, even with it jailbroken, is also very limited.

tktouch12

Reaction score
the thing is, android needs to be open because the stock apps stink (no offense)
with a music app like ios has, you don't need an open operating system. android needs it because some one needs to make a better keyboard, messaging app, lockscreen, music app, contact app, calendar app, gallery app, browser, etc
on ios all of them are pretty much perfect. maybe thats my opinion but its a pretty big reason that the only customization need on iphone is theming and springboard hacks (which exist)

OP
T

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I asked this before but never got a confirmed answer.

Is ther no utility for a JAILBROKEN Iphone similiar to Rom Manager that allows a user to make backup images of their phone and restore them later?

Also, Alot of people are talking about the constant itunes updates that break root and force you to jailbreak again, but if you're jailbroken, why would you update itunes anyway?

If I ever go to an iphone my goal would be to never use Itunes except maybe for the very first setup on the device. Is this not possible with the jailbreak tools that are out there?

beavis29290

Reaction score
Itunes does that. It backs up everything on your phone. The reason u would update is the same with both phones new features and bug fixes.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Jordan8

Reaction score
I'm considering this too. But I can't get a new phone till 2012, so ill just see how ios & android compares then. iPhone 6 maybe? Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Status
Not open for further replies.