Decision time

serpentine5

Reaction score
It is time for me to upgrade my phone on the VZW. I have been looking at the Iphone, I even went out and bought an Ipod touch a few months ago to learn it, and see how easy it is to jailbreak and so on... I like it. Battery doesnt last when playing games and what not, but thats to be expected.
My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S and I like it too, but I do not like the idea of having to pay an additional monthly fee to allow tethering. With the Iphone, from what I can gather, once it is jailbroken, I can enable tethering and use it to supply wifi to my other devices and what not, but I cannot find any stream lined info in regard to the Droid platform about jailbreaking and tethering. Everything is phone model specific.
So I am asking here about the over all VZW Droid platform phone that can be jailbroken, not just rooted, that is not likely to become a brick if jailbreaking goes wrong (screw up and iphone you just reset it in itunes). That I can play games and that also works well with email.... that is actually my number one item that is making me look more at a Droid then at an Iphone. I have read so many reviews of people who moved from either BlackBerry or Droid to the Iphone and say the Iphone cannot deliver the email quality the way the BB or Droid did. I need instant email, not update every 15 minutes using additional batter and other resources to do so.
I would also like to access the dark side of the market... this may be frownd upon here but I am just being upfront and honest in what I am looking for... on the ipod touch, I have access to everything... I will try something out, and 98% of the apps are crap. I delete and uninstall right away after testing them... the 2% that are good apps, I do go back via the app store and purchase them... I like having the ability to test before buying - and I know most apps have a free counter part... the free counter part id usually filled with ads and has limited usage... so I liek to test the full app before deciding to buy it or not. Too many apps are listed high up on the list as recommended apps only because of good packaging, not because the app is good.
I think we have all experienced this with music.... hence the digital online music store success.
Anyway... I thank you for any help and direction you can provide me with. Thanks
Serp

C_Pate

Reaction score
I don't know anything about jail breaking and the "dark side", but I can report that the email quality on iphone is not up to par with BB and droid. Unless you're interested in waiting to see if the iphone 5 is any better, that might be a deal breaker.

OP
S

serpentine5

Reaction score
Yeah, I have considered waiting until September when the new iphone"s" will be released, but I need to upgrade now... or invest in this BB that is about to fall apart..

C_Pate

Reaction score
Yeah, I have considered waiting until September when the new iphone"s" will be released, but I need to upgrade now... or invest in this BB that is about to fall apart..

If BB is your thing, the Bold Touch could be coming out in August, and it looks nice. But if you want (or need) to upgrade now, a droid is the only way to go.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I am asking here about the over all VZW Droid platform phone that can be jailbroken, not just rooted, that is not likely to become a brick if jailbreaking goes wrong (screw up and iphone you just reset it in itunes).
Jailbreaking is only relevant to iOS. Rooting is really the closest equivalent in the Android world. Bricking is highly unlikely. People have really diluted the word. If you can recover (as in most cases where people claim they have "bricked" their Android), it's not bricked.

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S and I like it too, but I do not like the idea of having to pay an additional monthly fee to allow tethering.
That's something you need to take up with the carrier.

I have read so many reviews of people who moved from either BlackBerry or Droid to the Iphone and say the Iphone cannot deliver the email quality the way the BB or Droid did. I need instant email, not update every 15 minutes using additional batter and other resources to do so.
All 3 devices support push email. People who say that one or more can't support push don't know what they're talking about.

Your email account determines whether your email is push or not. Nothing can make your pull account into push. There's no BIS (which had intelligent polling that did not affect device battery life) equivalent in the Android world.

I would also like to access the dark side of the market... this may be frownd upon here but I am just being upfront and honest in what I am looking for...
Just make sure you can sideload. I'm not aware of any VZW Android devices that are restricted in this manner. Android doesn't have the walled garden that iOS does.

I don't know anything about jail breaking and the "dark side", but I can report that the email quality on iphone is not up to par with BB and droid.
How so? Specifics? "Quality" really doesn't tell us anything. Statements like this are just as pointless as the often parroted "BB is king of email" which is a broad generalization that really doesn't mean anything. I have better email support on my Droid than I did on my BB and I was a BES user which is as good as it gets on BB.

Last edited: