Really want to root, but I'm scared.

wil318466

Reaction score
I had a jailbroken iphone. There was nothing to worry about when jailbreaking an iphone because there is like a .0000000001 chance of something bad happening, but it seems like a lot more problems can happen from rooting the droid.

I want to root to be able to run at 800mhz and have all the 2.1 stuff. I don't have any insurance on my phone, so if I bricked it, that would be it.

Questions:

1. How likely would it be to brick it?

2. Is there an exact step by step guide on rooting?

3. Can I go back to stock if I need to?

4. Have there been any reports of overheating at 800mhz?

5. Is there an app that shows the temperature that the phone is running at (to make sure it doesn't get too hot)?

Thanks.

I was scared the first time I had sex. You get over being scared pretty quickly.

-Wil

I wasn't, because I didn't have to pay for it after I was done.

It didn't cost me that much. :)

Smartass.

-Wil

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
those are all very different issues, and not NEARLY as easy. search for each in the hacks section and you will find LOTS of answers.. but like i said, they are WAY more complicated

So what would be the point of rooting if I didn't get that stuff? Just trying to understand this.

"Rooting" your phone is gaining access to super-user privileges in the Android operating system. That is a necessary first step in the process of "getting that stuff" like the ability to overclock the hardware.

As others have stated, "rooting" is easy. The rest is HARD and RISKY! And unless you're prepared to invest far more effort into understanding what you're doing once you have the ability to do so, go skateboarding on the freeway. It's safer.

For those who (a) aren't inclined to learn what they need to know and (b) rely on their Droid as something other than an expensive toy, "rooting" your phone is simply adolescent.

wil318466

Reaction score
those are all very different issues, and not NEARLY as easy. search for each in the hacks section and you will find LOTS of answers.. but like i said, they are WAY more complicated

So what would be the point of rooting if I didn't get that stuff? Just trying to understand this.

"Rooting" your phone is gaining access to super-user privileges in the Android operating system. That is a necessary first step in the process of "getting that stuff" like the ability to overclock the hardware.

As others have stated, "rooting" is easy. The rest is HARD and RISKY! And unless you're prepared to invest far more effort into understanding what you're doing once you have the ability to do so, go skateboarding on the freeway. It's safer.

For those who (a) aren't inclined to learn what they need to know and (b) rely on their Droid as something other than an expensive toy, "rooting" your phone is simply adolescent.

I mean.. bro.. I understand you trying to be nice and warn people, and I'm having this discussion in MULTIPLE threads right now, so its kind of funny.. but

"The rest is HARD and RISKY! And unless you're prepared to invest far more effort into understanding what you're doing once you have the ability to do so, go skateboarding on the freeway. It's safer."

I mean, that statement is downright obscenely wrong. There is ONE step you absolutely need to take before making changes, and thats making a backup. Everything else after that is pretty much a little trial and error.

** Note : These posts are the reason why I make comments. Its just flat out false.

-Wil

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
personally, i don't think skateboarding on a freeway is a great idea.. good hills, fresh pavement.. sure.. but the freeway? negative.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
I was scared a month ago lol. Since then I've installed like 3 different roms.

Chatchie

Reaction score
wow that does look easy, now I didnt see an option for live wallpapers, is that something seperate you would have to add in the future?

destinydmm

Reaction score
@Chatchie: No the option for Live Wallpapers is in the reboot process, it asks you what you want to install or remove before it applies any changes.

destinydmm

Reaction score
It was so easy, I did it at work. And I work with K-5 grade kids!!!!

korp

Reaction score
I had a jailbroken iphone. There was nothing to worry about when jailbreaking an iphone because there is like a .0000000001 chance of something bad happening, but it seems like a lot more problems can happen from rooting the droid.

I want to root to be able to run at 800mhz and have all the 2.1 stuff. I don't have any insurance on my phone, so if I bricked it, that would be it.

Questions:

5. Is there an app that shows the temperature that the phone is running at (to make sure it doesn't get too hot)?

Thanks.
1-2. Its very unlikely .... if you follow the instructions and don't TRY to brick it. Android is similar to linux in that its for the active user ... not the iphone gimmie gimmie user.

3. Yes ... just as easy as rooting it.

4. People run as high as 1.25ghz ... 800mhz will do nothing .... also just turn on the failsafe and you will never have heat issues.

5. The kernel must allow it to show the actual temp not the battery temp (bugless beast and most roms will have this included) .... but "Temp Monitor" is the app ... it was either $0.99 or free I can't remember .... but overall the oc'ing process costs about $3.

dub8420

Reaction score

Questions:

Thanks.

I was scared the first time I had sex. You get over being scared pretty quickly.

-Wil

I wasn't, because I didn't have to pay for it after I was done.
you payed for it up front? sucker

dub8420

Reaction score
Ok. I just rooted so where do I OC and turn on failsafes and so forth? I'm running Droidmod 1.0

destinydmm

Reaction score
Ok. I just rooted so where do I OC and turn on failsafes and so forth? I'm running Droidmod 1.0

Download setcpu from market for OCing. Also I read that its better not to apply the failsafe as it doesn't work properly.