Really want to root, but I'm scared.

jrl9851

Reaction score
I had a jailbroken iphone. There was nothing to worry about when jailbreaking an iphone because there is like a .0000000001 chance of something bad happening, but it seems like a lot more problems can happen from rooting the droid.

I want to root to be able to run at 800mhz and have all the 2.1 stuff. I don't have any insurance on my phone, so if I bricked it, that would be it.

Questions:

1. How likely would it be to brick it?

2. Is there an exact step by step guide on rooting?

3. Can I go back to stock if I need to?

4. Have there been any reports of overheating at 800mhz?

5. Is there an app that shows the temperature that the phone is running at (to make sure it doesn't get too hot)?

Thanks.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
1. very unlikely if you follow directions EXACTLY

2. many, just search these forums or google. i know theres a site out there too. rootyourdroid.info?

3. always

4. been running 800Mhz for days now, everything is normal. havent heard of other people having problems, even at 950

5. im pretty sure, though i havent used anything like that

also keep in mind that even though there is a risk of bricking, its not permanent. you can always restore. just make sure you have the newest sholes recovery image. havent heard of anyone making a paper weight out of their droid yet

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
Oh I can restore if I brick it? If so, then i'll definitely do it. I just thought there was no way to get the phone working again if I brick it.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
How would I get the newest recovery thing?

Sorry for all the questions..once I get the hang of it I will know what I'm doing. I'm usually good at this "hacking" stuff but it just seems like there is a lot more when it comes to rooting.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're scarred then just don't do it. Only do it if you're confident after reading the directions on the how to that you can handle it. It's OK to be scarred a bit, I understand that but just be sure you understand the directions. Read them before starting and if you have questions about understanding something then don't do it.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i used this site for rooting. took all of five minutes. VERY easy to do.
Root Your Droid - The complete guide to rooting your Droid

HOWEVER, rooting is not the dangerous part.. its screwing around with all the different roms and stuff, that's how people mess up their droids. root if you want, that's fairly idiot-proof (now), just do all your homework before you do anything else

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Actually "bricking" isn't recoverable, hence the term "brick":

That said, as another poster stated, it's actually difficult to brick your phone.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
Thanks for the link...so after I root, how would I get 800mhz, milestone browser, and 2.1 stuff?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
those are all very different issues, and not NEARLY as easy. search for each in the hacks section and you will find LOTS of answers.. but like i said, they are WAY more complicated

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
those are all very different issues, and not NEARLY as easy. search for each in the hacks section and you will find LOTS of answers.. but like i said, they are WAY more complicated

So what would be the point of rooting if I didn't get that stuff? Just trying to understand this.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

That said, as another poster stated, it's actually difficult to brick your phone.

let me rephrase

semi-brick

though im yet to hear a single report of a full on brick of the droid, many semi-bricks though

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

let me rephrase

semi-brick

though im yet to hear a single report of a full on brick of the droid, many semi-bricks though

fine, we shall call it "paperweighting" your droid. ;)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Was worried about it my first time too. I used the following guide:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

I read it over and over and then followed the instructions to a "T". I did not push a button until I had double and triple checked everything. It went extremely well. After I had Shole installed, I then went here AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast [950MHz & Wifi] V0.7.2 (2/1/10) and followed the instructions for the "no data loss" installation of Bugless Beast. That put my phone at 800 mhz. I then followed the instructions on that same page for the Nandroid update to 1ghz with the evilboot1g file.

deputc26

Reaction score
Was worried about it my first time too. I used the following guide:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

I read it over and over and then followed the instructions to a "T". I did not push a button until I had double and triple checked everything. It went extremely well. After I had Shole installed, I then went here AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast [950MHz & Wifi] V0.7.2 (2/1/10) and followed the instructions for the "no data loss" installation of Bugless Beast. That put my phone at 800 mhz. I then followed the instructions on that same page for the Nandroid update to 1ghz with the evilboot1g file.

This is a good call if you are not sure, do that^^^

I'm stable at 800mhz, 950mhz and 1ghz, I crash if I run at 1.1ghz for more than 10 minutes though.