Jailbroken Iphone 4 vs Rooted andorid

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would help to provide examples of what a rooted android can do, that a jailbroken iphone can't.

I can email an app (APK) to an Android phone and you can install it on the spot. You don't even have to be rooted for that. I don't even think you can email a song to someone and play it on an iphone.

You asked for an example and that's one. That's all I'm saying. I'm not arguing usefulness or practicality (although it is). I'm just stating an instance that you requested.

re read my question. i'm asking what a rooted android can do that a jailbroken iphone can't.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Obviously you have little experience w/ a jailbroken iphone. There is NOTHING identical about the 2 hacked phones.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

It would help to provide examples of what a rooted android can do, that a jailbroken iphone can't. If ROMS is your only argument, that's weak. ROMS increase performance and theme your phone. iOS doesn't need any performance increase and you can theme your iPhone just fine.

Didnt feel the need to repeat what has already been said but here's a two word answer for ya. "OPEN SOURCE"

probably the lamest argument that all android phans use ever. its funny because some of you people don't even know what open source actually means. android in its current incarnation is FAR from true open source, and like i said if by OPEN SOURCE!! you mean the ability to flash ROMs, that argument is extremely weak.

Android is open source only by name. It's not a free for all OS that let's you do whatever you want. Gimme a break.

Ryan m

Reaction score
A rooted android can be anything you want it to be. You see that people are booting android on I*hone but you don't see anyone like man I wish I could boot ios.... hmmm

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm pointing out things that you don't even have to root to be able to do that an iPhone can't. And the customizations iPhones you posted 80% of that can be done unrooted with a launcher app!

As far as something a rooted Android can do that an jailbroken iPhone can't? Backup an entire image of your phone and restore it from top to bottom.

I totally agree about the "open" argument. It's pretty much a fact that Android is open to manufacturers and carriers but most definitely NOT the end user.

Last edited:

Ryan m

Reaction score
It would help to provide examples of what a rooted android can do, that a jailbroken iphone can't. If ROMS is your only argument, that's weak. ROMS increase performance and theme your phone. iOS doesn't need any performance increase and you can theme your iPhone just fine.

Didnt feel the need to repeat what has already been said but here's a two word answer for ya. "OPEN SOURCE"

probably the lamest argument that all android phans use ever. its funny because some of you people don't even know what open source actually means. android in its current incarnation is FAR from true open source, and like i said if by OPEN SOURCE!! you mean the ability to flash ROMs, that argument is extremely weak.

Android is open source only by name. It's not a free for all OS that let's you do whatever you want. Gimme a break.
Actually it is open source as in Google releases its code for anyone who wants it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
and to the people who say "you're forced to have a itunes account no matter what"...aren't you forced to have a google account to use an android phone? (i mean i dont even think you can use the calendar function on the android phone if you don't sign in...someone correct me if i'm wrong)

and yes...you can argue that you can do whatever you want by not using Google...but does that really make sense? is that really practical? the number of people who strictly use downloaded apks as opposed to the Android Market can be probably be counted on your fingers. The number of people who don't ever sign into Google on their Android phone can probably be counted on one hand...your argument really doesn't hold water because your alluding to something that probably NEVER happens.
You're the one who said that we're forced to use Google. I''m just pointing out that that's incorrect. I never said it would be easy. Just like trying to eliminate using iTunes. The difference is, is that you can use Android without having anything to do with Google. You can't use an iPhone without EVER having to use iTunes. That's all I'm saying.

i see your point...i guess i just dont put too much weight into it. sure you're not "forced" to use google...but...you really are...if you don't have a google account you miss out on many important features that the android OS is built on including gmail, gtalk, the market and many other integrations...what you're saying is not practical...at all.

what you're arguing is like buying a ps3, and then playing only ps2 games on it, just because you can...makes no sense.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Actually it is open source as in Google releases its code for anyone who wants it.

again. you don't know what open source means. it would benefit you to read up on the many different types of open source licenses. Android is far from open. open source means anyone can contribute to the project. if you're suggesting that some dude named koush is working hand in hand with google and giving them suggestions on what to include in android, i'd have to laugh at you. google decides what goes into android, and google only. android is open source by name. you don't see "android nightlies" nor can you send your contributions to google to implement into the next OS version.

B

bigsapz

Regardless of your opinion on definition, that is a major difference in OS's. Both broken and stock.

B

bigsapz

Thank you. Hopefully that was easy enough for him to understand.

Edit: Guess not. Lol

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Congrats....you too have no idea what open source means.

B

bigsapz

Says a NOBODY on the internet.....lol

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

Do you?

The only thing that is restrictive is that the handset makers have put hardware controls in place to prevent people from installing altered source code. Android is open in the sense that it is accessable and editable. But only a few phones allow you to alter it and install it without having to circumvent some type of barrier.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Do you?

The only thing that is restrictive is that the handset makers have put hardware controls in place to prevent people from installing altered source code. Android is open in the sense that it is accessable and editable. But only a few phones allow you to install it.

it is absolutely not accessible and editable. Can you "access" and "edit" android code before google releases it? absolutely not. open source allows community contribution and development. you've gotta be kidding me if you're saying android is completely open.

open source requires three things: code availability (check, albeit after Google creates the software themselves with no help from the community), community development (um...no) and total freedom over device and software (again...no). People arguing "OPEN SOURCE 4 LIFE!!" sound foolish because they have no idea what they're talking about.

firefox is truly open source. you can see its development as it happens. the community can contribute to its development. linux is completely open source. android is FAR from open source.

it's funny how everyone is suddenly an expert on open source, when before android, you people were probably the same ones using itunes and ipods.

Last edited:
B

bigsapz

Says a NOBODY on the internet.....lol

ah there's the personal attacks...how predictable when you've run out of things to say...

U say I have no idea what im talking about then say I started with the personal attacks? Then in another post u argue about google not letting people edit unreleased code? You are a special kind of idiot. Lol. Are u wearing ur helmet? Just Stop talking. You are embarrassing yourself. We get ur an apple fanboi. Move on.

You think you kno what ur talking about when infact, you don't have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.