is NFC doomed if you r a flashaholic?

mtnbst

Reaction score
I am on my 4th ROM already and my NFC element is fine...but is it a matter of time before it becomes disabled? Makes me nervous to flash anything because I don't want NFC to become toast.
A big part of the attraction to the Nexus is all of the ROMS and mods that are, and will become available. Kinda stinks to be nervous about bricking that element on every flash.
:blink:

Isaiah

Reaction score
I dont understand why this is a concern, why would there be an issue? hoping I didn't miss something big.

GoBears

Reaction score
Until all this gets sorted out, I'm sticking with Th3ory's stuff.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
From what i understand about it, the risk is for the Google Wallet element to get locked and not the chip itself allowing you to still use the NFC for bump and beaming purposes. I activated GW on several roms and had no issues what so ever, it is an area the requires a bit more attention thought..

OP
mtnbst

mtnbst

Reaction score
From what i understand about it, the risk is for the Google Wallet element to get locked and not the chip itself allowing you to still use the NFC for bump and beaming purposes. I activated GW on several roms and had no issues what so ever, it is an area the requires a bit more attention thought..

If it's software being disabled not the hardware ... Why doesn't restoring to stock, or to a different rom correct the problem?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

captdroid

Reaction score
If it's software being disabled not the hardware ... Why doesn't restoring to stock, or to a different rom correct the problem?

Because the secure element memory area is not part of main memory. The secure element is on the NFC chip.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I been holding off on gwallet cuz of the possible effects with the secure element.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I turn nfc off immediately when I flash a rom.

Also I am not flashing roms unless I have followed what others are getting first

OP
mtnbst

mtnbst

Reaction score
Because the secure element memory area is not part of main memory. The secure element is on the NFC chip.

Thank you for the explanation, sounds like this has potential for a solution.

OP
mtnbst

mtnbst

Reaction score
I turn nfc off immediately when I flash a rom.

Also I am not flashing roms unless I have followed what others are getting first

This is great information, I am going to add this as a mandatory step when flashing. Thank you

captdroid

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation, sounds like this has potential for a solution.

Sure I think the payment processor or whoever holds the encryption keys could fix it. Problem is that even Nexus S users who officially have the app who have encountered a locked element (from what I have read) are told they need a new device. Somewhere along the line someone is dropping the ball when it comes to having a procedure in place to reset this lock down it seems. IMO