is NFC doomed if you r a flashaholic?

captdroid

Reaction score
see so this may have been where i got killed, i didnt reset my wallet before changing roms. the odd thing is even when returning to my gummynex it still was dead even if it showed the balance. very odd

Sorry to hear that... yes from what I have read thus far so long as you do the reset should be ok assuming the custom ROM doesn't screw something up which of course it shouldn't.

NyPlaya513

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that... yes from what I have read thus far so long as you do the reset should be ok assuming the custom ROM doesn't screw something up which of course it shouldn't.
hey its no big deal, i ebayed another brand new one and ill be reselling mine. new one should be here within this week or early next week

NyPlaya513

Reaction score
yea...specially since i made a decent "deposit" to my prepaid google card.......cant let it go to waste. and as i made my case to both google wallet and money networks, after the first purchase.....i was hooked ;)

captdroid

Reaction score
hey captdroid, any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated

the guy seems to be in almost the same situation as me with some differences, but he seems to have done the proper precautions and then some

That is a different problem just being reported by you and another poster. IDK... did you are the other poster try doing a reset again and downloading the latest Google Wallet from the XDA thread OP and trying again? Sounds like the problem you are experiencing might need to be resolved by Money Network. This is certainly not the secured element problem which seems to be avoided from what I have read thus far by doing the Google Wallet reset. Another thing if I was installing a custom ROM I would uninstall any prepackaged Google Wallet and do a clean install again from the XDA OP thread download. The other poster mentioned something about doing a TB restore as well which you never want to do AFAIK. Good Luck. Report back how you make out.

NyPlaya513

Reaction score
That is a different problem just being reported by you and another poster. IDK... did you are the other poster try doing a reset again and downloading the latest Google Wallet from the XDA thread OP and trying again? Sounds like the problem you are experiencing might need to be resolved by Money Network. This is certainly not the secured element problem which seems to be avoided from what I have read thus far by doing the Google Wallet reset. Another thing if I was installing a custom ROM I would uninstall any prepackaged Google Wallet and do a clean install again from the XDA OP thread download. The other poster mentioned something about doing a TB restore as well which you never want to do AFAIK. Good Luck. Report back how you make out.

yea a clean install is what I usually do. even if the rom I flash has it pre-installed, I usually use appmonster to bypass verizons limitations and can actually get to the google wallet page and update the installation to the newest build. I have even uninstalled it and then performed a clean install and it still does the same thing. I have even gone down to stock 4.0.1 unrooted and locked to try and give it a shot there but to no avail.

captdroid

Reaction score
yea a clean install is what I usually do. even if the rom I flash has it pre-installed, I usually use appmonster to bypass verizons limitations and can actually get to the google wallet page and update the installation to the newest build. I have even uninstalled it and then performed a clean install and it still does the same thing. I have even gone down to stock 4.0.1 unrooted and locked to try and give it a shot there but to no avail.

Time to call Money Network perhaps and be sure to tell them you have a Nexus S :biggrin:

NyPlaya513

Reaction score
Time to call Money Network perhaps and be sure to tell them you have a Nexus S :biggrin:
yea its no big deal, ill have them perform a transfer between the devices. I just want to try and make sure to do all I can to not allow this to happen on my new device which got shipped today :)

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Actually... and no disrespect... but I don't think the Google Wallet which can be installed on rooted or un-rooted Gnex is hacked at all... in fact an update recently posted by Google in the market was subsequently posted in the XDA thread for download and works fine.

[APP] Google Wallet (Flash: 1.1-R41v8, APK: 1.1-R47v1) [18/12/2011] - xda-developers

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] Google Wallet (Flash: 1.1-R41v8, APK: 1.1-R47v1) [18/12/2011]

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1365360&page=139

Take note that it is recommended at this point to do a 'reset' of Google Wallet before changing ROMS, etc. as described in the OP the XDA thread. I installed the latest update which was pulled from the market which updated the older version no problem. The latest version currently posted in the XDA thread OP is Google Wallet 1.1-R47v1 straight from the market which I am running and works fine. You can see the latest version of Google Wallet posted by Google in the market here: https://market.android.com/details?...nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLndhbGxldG5mY3JlbCJd

You just can't currently install Google Wallet on a Gnex from that market link at least normally thus the XDA thread OP having it available for download / install

Its not in my market. Verizon's blocking I guess. I quit keeping up with it after my secure element error.

What do you mean by reset Google wallet? Clearing data?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its not in my market. Verizon's blocking I guess. I quit keeping up with it after my secure element error.

What do you mean by reset Google wallet? Clearing data?

Google Wallet will not show in the market app from your phone. It will however, show from any browser.

No, clearing data will do nothing to prevent the secure element error. Within Google Wallet, under settings, there's an option to reset Google Wallet. See below:

View attachment 46763

It's been determined that if you reset Wallet prior to switching roms, this will prevent users from receiving the secure element error. So far the results have been positive.

EDIT: For more background on this, go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1365360

More specifically, a direct quote from that thread:

Secure Element not responding!
If you have a Nandroid backup of a version of Wallet that worked, try restoring to that. Otherwise, you're screwed unless you get a new device. The Secure Element in your phone has now locked you out.

EDIT: research seems to show that Android is not actually enabling NFC-EE, which might be why it can't communicate with the SE. This needs further research.

To try to avoid this, before flashing a new ROM please, please, PLEASE: open Google Wallet. Open the Wallet Settings menu. Select "Reset Google Wallet" from within the app. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS SELECTING "CLEAR DATA" FROM WITHIN MANAGE APPS!
The Google Wallet reset system will disable it's background services, reset the secure element by deleting the Google Wallet applet (which is what you want!), clear the database, ping C2DM that it is now deprovisioning, clear the shared preferences, clear files and cache, and finally shut itself down. Clearing data from Manage Apps will only delete the database and shared preferences: it will not deprovision, disable background services, and most importantly will not remove the Wallet applet from the secure element.

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Curious if anyone (even 1 user) has gotten the secure element error even resetting wallet

NyPlaya513

Reaction score
ok so new phone is in, funny enough because i updated from the market it auto installed with my restored google account apps :biggrin: I unlocked, rooted, and flashed aokp milestone 3.....booted......added card!!.....called up money network and initiated the transfer of my old funds!!!.....then since I am paranoid now, I did the reset google wallet from within google wallet to then reboot into recovery and flash franko's 15.2 kernal.....started up wallet again and all is still good!!! :biggrin:

so far so good...in 24-72 hours :blink: my funds should be back to me+10 more dollars :)