is NFC doomed if you r a flashaholic?

OP
mtnbst

mtnbst

Reaction score
when are you guys getting the error (Ive yet to root my phone. jan 15's the day for that. 1 month) but I've got four batteries which I switch between and I can open google wallet... i haven't used it cause I dont have master card...

You don't need a Mastercard, you can charge it with any credit card. Google puts $10 on your (gift) card just for setting it up

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't need a Mastercard, you can charge it with any credit card. Google puts $10 on your (gift) card just for setting it up

Yeah, you just add funds to the gift card.

Isaiah

Reaction score
neither of which mean anything to me; 10 bucks isn't gonna pay for anything at a store around me that uses google wallet (gas stations/movies) and reloading is too much of a PIA. but my point was battery switching doesn't effect it

OP
mtnbst

mtnbst

Reaction score
neither of which mean anything to me; 10 bucks isn't gonna pay for anything at a store around me that uses google wallet (gas stations/movies) and reloading is too much of a PIA. but my point was battery switching doesn't effect it

get a drink or something at a sheetz or a seven eleven, its worth seeing the look on the cashiers face, and the people in line behind you.

suliman

Reaction score
The problem might have something to do fact that I installed gwallet on stock first before unlock and root. Then afterwards installed it again on a custom rom.

gszeman

Reaction score
Does the error occur at the time of the transaction, or when you open the GW app?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

suliman

Reaction score
Does the error occur at the time of the transaction, or when you open the GW app?

At the time of transaction

dagdoot

Reaction score
I am currently unlocked and rooted running the gummy nex 0.3.0 ROM with the extended battery. I have been using google wallet ever since i had a custom rom and ive only run the gummy nex rom so far and google wallet works fine so far. Had no problem with the battery being "linked" to the phone so i think thats unrelated. The other day the transaction wouldnt go through but on the phone it said it was sent. I had to restart my phone then it worked fine, i think it had to do with the fact that i did not have the "blue bars" only gray, when i restarted the phone they went blue and the transaction went through fine. maybe the bar colors were unrelated but just a thought. after reading this im going to be a lot more careful about flashing roms and using google wallet, thanks.

NyPlaya513

Reaction score
so basically this is my story of trial and error. I didnt use it before rooting my gnex since I honestly didnt think about it because it wasnt installed by default. Once I rooted it, I believe during my usual test-a-rom phase I go through to see where I am comfortable, I saw it came with gummys gapps. I kind of jumped for joy and set it up and started my prepaid card. I think brought it to cvs where at the self checkout it works like a charm. That night gummys b-day edition came out so I clean flashed it and went about my daily life.

Today I went to go pay at cvs and it didnt work.....no response what so ever on the phone.... Then I walked over to mcdonalds to test it and it responded and appeared to send the funds but the cashier pretty much looked at me like I was nuts since nothing was happening. I couldnt tell what the problem was so I just rebooted my phone. Upon rebooting it and looking at the wallet app it claimed "your card was removed from your phone by your bank. Contact Money Network for further instructions." Yea......I was shocked. So I then remove the card and try to re-apply it and get the new favorite error "Error addng card" no matter how many times I try again.

the best part is that after the 1st working effort, i added funds to the google prepaid card...

So I called up Money Network and I swear they are just terrible and useless.....so annoying.....I amnow awaiting a callback from one of their reps to try and do SOMETHING!!

To be clear, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I cleared data, and I even reset google wallet. I nandroided back to my state directly after rooting and installed it there only to have the same error.

The really odd thing is that if I titanium backup restore the data for the app, I can see the card and the balance as if its all fine, but when I tried to use it in that state....got the same thing happening as it did in mcdonalds. Once I reboot, it does the card has been removed.......ugh FML

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I am on my 4th ROM already and my NFC element is fine...but is it a matter of time before it becomes disabled? Makes me nervous to flash anything because I don't want NFC to become toast.
A big part of the attraction to the Nexus is all of the ROMS and mods that are, and will become available. Kinda stinks to be nervous about bricking that element on every flash.
:blink:

There is about as much chance as you frying your CPU . The secure element is not nuking the nfc chip. The secure element is a feature in the nfc radio. A non responding secure element does nit mean yournfc radio is ruined.

Tas

Reaction score
I have not rooted my Nexus and not planning to for a while. Is it possible to get Google wallet on my phone and use it? Market search doest come up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have not rooted my Nexus and not planning to for a while. Is it possible to get Google wallet on my phone and use it? Market search doest come up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

yes you can use it w/o being rooted. However, its not a supported app. Its a hacked version...so it will be at your own risk. Nobody knows that if/when an official GNEX version comes to our device that you will not get the secure element not responding message.

captdroid

Reaction score
yes you can use it w/o being rooted. However, its not a supported app. Its a hacked version...so it will be at your own risk. Nobody knows that if/when an official GNEX version comes to our device that you will not get the secure element not responding message.

Actually... and no disrespect... but I don't think the Google Wallet which can be installed on rooted or un-rooted Gnex is hacked at all... in fact an update recently posted by Google in the market was subsequently posted in the XDA thread for download and works fine.

[APP] Google Wallet (Flash: 1.1-R41v8, APK: 1.1-R47v1) [18/12/2011] - xda-developers

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] Google Wallet (Flash: 1.1-R41v8, APK: 1.1-R47v1) [18/12/2011]

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1365360&page=139

Take note that it is recommended at this point to do a 'reset' of Google Wallet before changing ROMS, etc. as described in the OP the XDA thread. I installed the latest update which was pulled from the market which updated the older version no problem. The latest version currently posted in the XDA thread OP is Google Wallet 1.1-R47v1 straight from the market which I am running and works fine. You can see the latest version of Google Wallet posted by Google in the market here: https://market.android.com/details?...nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLndhbGxldG5mY3JlbCJd

You just can't currently install Google Wallet on a Gnex from that market link at least normally thus the XDA thread OP having it available for download / install

Last edited:

NyPlaya513

Reaction score
Actually... and no disrespect... but I don't think the Google Wallet which can be installed on rooted or un-rooted Gnex is hacked at all... in fact an update recently posted by Google in the market was subsequently posted in the XDA thread for download and works fine.

[APP] Google Wallet (Flash: 1.1-R41v8, APK: 1.1-R47v1) [18/12/2011] - xda-developers

xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP] Google Wallet (Flash: 1.1-R41v8, APK: 1.1-R47v1) [18/12/2011]

[APP] Google Wallet (Flash: 1.1-R41v8, APK: 1.1-R47v1) [18/12/2011] - Page 139 - xda-developers

Take note that it is recommended at this point to do a 'reset' of Google Wallet before changing ROMS, etc. as described in the OP the XDA thread. I installed the latest update which was pulled from the market which updated the older version no problem. The latest version currently posted in the XDA thread OP is Google Wallet 1.1-R47v1 straight from the market which I am running and works fine. You can see the latest version of Google Wallet posted by Google in the market here: https://market.android.com/details?...nb29nbGUuYW5kcm9pZC5hcHBzLndhbGxldG5mY3JlbCJd

You just can't currently install Google Wallet on a Gnex from that market link at least normally thus the XDA thread OP having it available for download / install

see so this may have been where i got killed, i didnt reset my wallet before changing roms. the odd thing is even when returning to my gummynex it still was dead even if it showed the balance. very odd