Is lte issues a tower thing, sim card thing, or software thing.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Lets find out. I figure if one person calls they will treat it as an isolated issue but if all those having issues call we can get a solution. With new technology there will be issues but with carriers charging a premium for their service customers have the right to expect a superior network. Verizon has been at the forefront of providing network coverage compared to their competition but we are in a new era and some of us are coming toward a cross road, especially with the economic situation, where we are analyzing every dollar we spend and asking is this product/service worth my dollar.
I personally believe vzw has the infrastructure in place to have the superior network. But many of us are running into a similar issue where I data just drop out of no where. When I had my rezound and thunderbolt it would just stick on 3g and would take awhile to get lte back (most of the time I would have to turn airplane mode on/off to get lte back). Ice cream sandwich handles the signals differently in that it separates the two, I believe this is why on ics the data just drop off instead of dropping to 3g (this is my theory). My theory in why data drops off is a result of the way vzw choose to authenticate on their network, meaning its designed to kick off the device automatically and reconnect so it can ensure the device on the network belongs on it. I can not prove that so that is why it is a theory. I do know it is happening to enough people that I want to look into it. And at 100+ a month for service and me planning on extending in September I want to know why my data drops off. So here is what I am going to do and I ask you guys who are having issues to join me.

1) Call verizon tech support and open a ticket. They are going to want to know exact locations of when and where this is happening.

2) Log every time it happens and note the time, location, and what you were doing. Make sure you give that info to vzw (I dont have time to call them every day but I will call them once a week with it).

3) (optional) note the tech you spoke to so when you call back with info about more drops you can let them know the times you called and who you spoke to.

Those who know me knows I am not going to just continue to complain about a problem over and over again. I believe in the "grab the bull by the horns" mentality in that if I do not like what is happening do something about it. Hopefully us uniting to bring to light a potential problem will result in change. So spread the word to any one else having the same issues.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'm onboard.... I'm sick of this.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I called them back in mid June, cause of how bad it got.

The folks I talked to were great, and took notes of all the stuff I told them. Like, I flat out refused to do a factory reset, cause I've already done a lot of them in the time I've owned my Bionic. We got to the point where I was going to get a replacement, and then ICS leaked. I went over, and the drops became more tolerable. So, I figured that I'd hold off on contacting them again, cause as longs as the leaks were working, Moto would update the baseband, and hopefully make it better.

Just for what it's worth this is what I had happened when I called them:

- Turned Data Roaming on
- New Sim Card
- Reset some network switches

Next step would have been replacement.

Also, look at verizon's LTE coverage map. Make sure the trouble areas are well covered. Cause, if you live in a fringe or close to fringe area they'll just tell you that's the reason, and to turn off LTE. Up play the troubles in well covered areas, and they'll take more notice.

They will also ask if anyone else you know in the area is having issues. Unfortunately, for me I'm only person I know who has a verizon LTE phone.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I live in Charlotte, NC, and I recently heard that Big Red is scrambling to upgrade their service here because of the upcoming Democratic National Convention, and they have been working overtime to upgrade towers, and signals, to handle the crush of traffic those towers will be handling. I'm wondering if that's the cause of my signal problems, this is a big city and one of the first cities to get LTE 4G, I should have a much better 4G signal here. :blink:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I am most definitely in on this. Although since I have a vendor line, would the tech support be different??? I can understand dropping data when it's going from 4G LTE into 3G, but even when I have it set to 3G only, I still get data drops. What really stinks is that every time I reboot my phone, I have to physcally change it to 3G only...for this reason alone, I dislike ICS.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Can we get a sticky on this one....foxkat!!!!!! Someone!!

I will look at sticking later. Doing some more research.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Lets find out. I figure if one person calls they will treat it as an isolated issue but if all those having issues call we can get a solution. With new technology there will be issues but with carriers charging a premium for their service customers have the right to expect a superior network. Verizon has been at the forefront of providing network coverage compared to their competition but we are in a new era and some of us are coming toward a cross road, especially with the economic situation, where we are analyzing every dollar we spend and asking is this product/service worth my dollar.
I personally believe vzw has the infrastructure in place to have the superior network. But many of us are running into a similar issue where I data just drop out of no where. When I had my rezound and thunderbolt it would just stick on 3g and would take awhile to get lte back (most of the time I would have to turn airplane mode on/off to get lte back). Ice cream sandwich handles the signals differently in that it separates the two, I believe this is why on ics the data just drop off instead of dropping to 3g (this is my theory). My theory in why data drops off is a result of the way vzw choose to authenticate on their network, meaning its designed to kick off the device automatically and reconnect so it can ensure the device on the network belongs on it. I can not prove that so that is why it is a theory. I do know it is happening to enough people that I want to look into it. And at 100+ a month for service and me planning on extending in September I want to know why my data drops off. So here is what I am going to do and I ask you guys who are having issues to join me.

1) Call verizon tech support and open a ticket. They are going to want to know exact locations of when and where this is happening.

2) Log every time it happens and note the time, location, and what you were doing. Make sure you give that info to vzw (I dont have time to call them every day but I will call them once a week with it).

3) (optional) note the tech you spoke to so when you call back with info about more drops you can let them know the times you called and who you spoke to.

Those who know me knows I am not going to just continue to complain about a problem over and over again. I believe in the "grab the bull by the horns" mentality in that if I do not like what is happening do something about it. Hopefully us uniting to bring to light a potential problem will result in change. So spread the word to any one else having the same issues.
I'm on board...will call Verizon today. Your point, and others, is well taken.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I personally dont know what the problem is I know the bionic is not on ics and they have drops. I just want a solution and I am not looking to sit around and keep giving my money and accept what could be a potential problem.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
PC you are having severe data drop problems? Meaning you are getting bumped off of the network constantly? I have great reception and have since I got my RAZR. Coverage has been excellent. Do I lose data at times? Yes absolutely, but it's only for a few seconds. I've not been without data for more than a minute with the exception of the outages we all experienced. I believe that the data drops are tower/coverage issues in most cases, but there is also some hardware issues, particularly in the Gnex, that will never overcome the problem no matter how good the coverage. JohnDroid is constantly battling the data drops....

What phone are you on now?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
PC you are having severe data drop problems? Meaning you are getting bumped off of the network constantly? I have great reception and have since I got my RAZR. Coverage has been excellent. Do I lose data at times? Yes absolutely, but it's only for a few seconds. I've not been without data for more than a minute with the exception of the outages we all experienced. I believe that the data drops are tower/coverage issues in most cases, but there is also some hardware issues, particularly in the Gnex, that will never overcome the problem no matter how good the coverage. JohnDroid is constantly battling the data drops....

+1 on my bionic with ICS leak i have 4g in places my gnex wont have decent 3g ..that is the reason the gnex never gets used . reception . i live in a weak 4 g area but my bionic hangs on to it . sure i loose data but not very often and for not very long.

Droidram56

Reaction score
I am calling VZW yet again tonight. I received a replacement Bionic 2 weeks ago and am still getting LTE data drops. Just not stable. I could keep the phone set on cdma all the time but I paid for an LTE phone so I expect to have LTE service.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am calling VZW yet again tonight. I received a replacement Bionic 2 weeks ago and am still getting LTE data drops. Just not stable. I could keep the phone set on cdma all the time but I paid for an LTE phone so I expect to have LTE service.

i agree if you are having data problems call VZW daily :)

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I hit you with a pm. But I think its a designed drop in the network by vzw. I dont think its because of the device or ics. Because Ics separates lte from 3g you dont get that cushion when the data drops, ie rezound on gb where I just drop to 3g. Again a theory but the fact different devices with different hardware and locations are having the same problem rules out the phone, location and software imo. This is a network issue. I may be wrong...but if I am right we can save people money who are going from phone to phone because they think their device is the issue.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
+1 on my bionic with ICS leak i have 4g in places my gnex wont have decent 3g ..that is the reason the gnex never gets used . reception . i live in a weak 4 g area but my bionic hangs on to it . sure i loose data but not very often and for not very long.

I do think Samsung has weaker radios compare to motorola. But if moto, samsung, and htc are all experiencing drops and they are using different hardware then what is left?