Is Google Fiber worth it?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Jan 26, 2015.

1. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Unless you have a rather large theater room, most people's family/living rooms aren't near large enough to accommodate a tv that size. Chart says on a 110" tv you have to be closer than 14 feet to start to notice a difference. I wouldn't be that close with a 65" tv.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    No it's not. I trust the science over someone's perception, which may or may not be manipulated by the electronics store to sell you a more expensive tv.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    Because science has never been lopsided or influenced to present a specific data set. But I get your point, and for the most part I agree. Early adopters often get the shaft too. That is one main reason why I wait a few years before adopting the newest standard, with the exception of PC hardware.

Like anything else, it all comes down to money.

Back to the main point, for the price, I think Google Fiber is worth it. Luckily, I have AirFiber.

4. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,409
    To piggyback @dgstorm I like the idea of pushing innovation. For majority of Americans 3g data speeds were good enough but had we settled we would not be where are today. Plus you have to look at it another way. The only way you are going to deal with the Time Warners and the Comcasts of the world is if you have another option. I know I am tired of chatting and calling Comcast week after week about their internet service but they know I am not going anywhere. I for one am happy Google chose my city so that I can soon call up Comcast and tell them come get their stuff. Competition is the only way you are going to get better overall service as well as a better product. When Verizon went LTE it forced everyone else to do the same to keep from being left behind. Google offering 1 gig speeds for $70 will force the other companies offering a lot less to either cut their costs or raise their speeds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Google is doing what other companies aren't. Rolling out the best network they can instead of nickel and diming us for slow infrastructure upgrades. Who else does this? No one.

Just a few years ago gigabit networks were for hospitals and such. We have a gigabit network here just for that.

I don't need that kind of speed, but it is time that someone lights a fire underneath the conglomerates so that we can finally start winning this one sided scenario. It looks like Google is doing just that.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,685
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    I agree, but price is obviously a contributing factor on both sides. Google Fiber has been around for quite a few years now, yet they haven't really been setting the world on fire in terms of construction and getting it to the people. Verizon ran into the same issue with their FIOS network, which was eventually abandoned.
    The question is, it's it cost effective for a company to install this technology when the average consumer doesn't want (or can't afford) to spend that kind of money each month for the service. Therein lies the problem....

7. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Has it been a few years already? I couldn't even imagine the logistical nightmare of fibering a city like Atlanta.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    So there is a difference, you just have to have a big enough TV to see it. Which is exactly my point. Yes, at 60 inches there IS a noticeable improvement in the resolution of 4k over 1080. Dismiss it all you want, but it is real and it is there. I've seen it with my own 2 eyes. Its just a more precise picture, and that ends up with a better overall experience. With screens over 60 inches, the differences are going to eye opening. The bigger the screen, the higher the resolution you need to not degrade quality. 1080 doesn't work for everything, which is why 4k will be the next wave.

9. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,409
    I think they are doing a smart rollout. Yeah I would have liked them to roll out much faster than this, "set the world on fire" (as you put it). But building a network takes time and effort as well as getting through all the red tape. The goal of Google here is not to take over but change the way internet is done and they can do that with a slow roll out. Put enough Google fiber networks in a few cities to compete with the status quo and you will see At&t, Comcast, and other companies make a real push for gigabit internet and better pricing.
    Plus I am sure Google is going to places where the city is willing to give them tax breaks and deals with construction.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Why do you think it's "biased"? How are manufacturers benefiting from this science? Science KNOWS a lot about eye optics and science KNOWS what the eye can differentiate - "simple" geometry. And blind tests confirm that people can't tell the difference (until you "favor" the higher def with certain setting and tell people it's 4K or 1080p or whatever).

People can claim otherwise all they want. The science is unobjectionable.

11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    It's not about the size of the tv, it's about how close you are relative to the size of the tv when your eye can actually begin to see the extra pixels. And my point is no one sits close enough to notice the difference. And that's the precise meaning of "noticeable benefit".

Some people may actually sit close enough to see the difference between 1080p and 720p. But it won't be comfortable to be close enough to see a difference between 1080 and 4k - 7 feet on a 65" 4k tv (and if you are sitting that close, your eyesight clearly isn't good enough to see a difference at that range, either).

#47 kodiak799, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  12. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Just like how 1080 on a 30 inch screen only mattered if you were inches away, and didn't mean that the new format could really help out larger screens, right? Your logic is absolutely fatally flawed.

Search tags for this page
google fiber basic internet forum 2015
google fiber network box with my own router double nat
is google fiber worth

is google fiber worth it

is google fiber worth the money