Is Google Fiber worth it?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Jan 26, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,242
    @PereDroid, I didn't mean to imply anything negative. I know you guys are tech-savvy! :)

My point is simply... why wait? What point would there be for any company to wait on this tech. Now is the time to start that long roll-out process. Technology is going to start advancing at an even more accelerated pace. While a 15M connection may be "fine" right now, that doesn't mean it couldn't be better. The next few years are crucial to setup what we will see down the road.

Plus, if we don't hold the ISPs' feet to the fire, they will simply do their best to keep the status quo for as long as possible. We need to shake off any lethargy! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  2. dja1980

dja1980 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I have made this mistake as well... it would make more sense for companies to advertise their speeds in MB/s, but I guess that doesn't look nearly as enticing since 50mbps = 6.25MB/s

Also, I'm sure many of you have seen the 2012 Google Fiber video... but this thread caused me to pull it up and give it another watch... VERY well done...

#26 dja1980, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    4k video is another useless standard. That garbage shouldn't even be allowed to take up bandwidth because nobodies eyes can tell the difference, anyway.

4. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    As someone who pays $160 for cable and internet right now through the satanic butthole known as Time Warner Cable for speeds that truly do get spliced enough in this house to cause issues, yes, Google Fiber is worth it and then some, even if it means I jump to DirecTV for watching television.

I'd pay $70 a month alone just to rid myself of TWC. Period. The fact that I'll be getting internet speeds exponentially faster than what I have now for that price, meaning that I'll be able to work seamlessly from home while signed into to my company's remote systems while my wife streams HD Netflix downstairs while also doing her own work while also having the ability to keep multiple other devices (like tablets, phones, security systems, etc) still sync'd with the WiFi is icing on the cake. Do I absolutely need gigabit internet right now? No, but we're evolving so fast that its nearly inevitable that we will.

Thankfully, with today's announcement, it sounds like I'll have that chance.

#28 Beardface, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    You most certainly can tell a difference, especially with bigger screens. Trust me, there's a noticeable difference in a 60" 1080p and a 60" 4k. Was watching a soccer game on a large screen 4k not too long ago, and you could plain as day read the names and numbers on the backs of the jerseys while the camera was at regular zoom. That's really not possible with the current systems.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Where you watching the game at :)

Sorry Kodiak.. What do you mean by nobody? Everyone can see the difference between 4K resolution and 1080P.. Its crisp and clear. However if cable companies get hold of distribution of channels in 4K, than it is worthless because you know they are going to ruin it..

7. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Best Buy... haha, so I know they are trying to set it up to be ideal... but...

The amount of detail you can see on those displays are impressive. It really does have a noticeable difference, and while cable providers won't necessarily be sending a 4k signal anytime soon (hell, even Fox can't send a good 1080 signal for NFL games) the options for both gaming and streaming are endless, and I would almost expect them to jump all over that medium within the next few years and really show what it can do.

8. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +4,271
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    1080p is pretty damn crisp and clear, too. Especially on a big set. Buddy just got a 101 inch TV. THe most stunning picture I've ever seen on a TV. I have a hard time believing a 4K picture is going to just blow that away.

9. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,685
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    You'd be surprised.

10. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    Yes. This is true. I am not saying people don't need Gig internet ever. Fiber build-outs are becoming cheaper than copper. Older cable systems will need to be upgraded eventually, and fiber is set to replace them. AT&T (and other DSL providers) and Time Warner Cable (and other cable providers) need to jump on the fiber train. They won't get left behind, but keeping the copper networks in place will just give them more fuel to complain to the FCC that the cost to upgrade is outlandish as they willfully let their copper networks degrade.

This is concept is so extremely under-appreciated. I have customers using Windows 95/ME/XP still. I tell them that the reason their service is slow is because the computer wasn't ever meant to do the things we can do on the internet now. Just because you have a NIC in the back does not mean your computer's CPU/GPU can process the information being sent to it.

For the average person, 500Mbps would probably be too much. I would even venture to say that 250Mbps would be too much. The 15Mbps service you talk about now is good for you. With the same plan on a business account, twice as much money is spent, and you don't get much upload. It would kill me. I have to be able to upload and download large files (mainly backups) to and from the server at my house. Fiber with 1Gbps would not only let me do this, I can do it fast!!

To kind of piggyback off @dgstorm was saying, it's not that people here aren't Tech Savvy. All I really have to say is this: People, a lot of people, drool all over how awesome their phone is, and what kind of specs it has. That is how I feel about my internet.

Yes, you most certainly can tell the difference. Maybe not in any of the TVs on the market today, but anything larger than 50" you are going to see the difference. All 4K is is exactly 4x 1080p. Then you also have UHD (UltraHD).

Honestly, all Google Fiber is doing is making the the cable and DSL companies look bad. DSL will never get to the speeds DOCSIS 3.0 can, and it will go away eventually. The DOCSIS 3.1 standard I believe supports gig, but I just don't see the major companies in the US deploying it.[/QUOTE]

#34 grenefroggie, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Bull, that's imaginary. It's science - I doubt you are actually sitting close enough to the tv to notice a difference from 1080p to 4k...you have to be something like closer than 7 feet on a 60"+ screen before you can even START to discern a difference

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  12. supermandroid

supermandroid Active Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto X 2nd Gen
    I would love to see 4K on a 101 inch TV. It would probably be akin to looking out a Window! Trust me that 4K would blow 1080p out of the water especially at that size!

It's very true, but you don't have to take anyone's word for it. You're more than welcome to walk into any electronics store and see for yourself.

Search tags for this page
google fiber basic internet forum 2015
google fiber network box with my own router double nat
is google fiber worth

is google fiber worth it

is google fiber worth the money