Is Google Fiber worth it?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Jan 26, 2015.

1. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    Right now, there is no practical reason for GB internet. When 4K video become what 1080p is now, then yes you will need much more than 50Mbps to do streaming from multiple devices and use the web.

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,690
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    But who wants to be practical anyway?! Haha! And what's the potential that they'll push past GB speeds on their network around the time everyone else is bumping up to GB?

Overkill just ensures the best possible experience.

• Like Like x 2
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +775
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    I would happily pay $70 for 1gig up/down. I'm currently paying $60 for 65down/4up. Its the up speed that sucks. I'd kill for 10 up or something. I have no idea why ISPs are so stingy with the upload speed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    What are their data caps?

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,027
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    When GB service becomes available in my area.. I'm on it...

6. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,409
    I do not think we will be able to fully take advantage until we get to where we can ditch cable and stream the content we want. Slingtv and hulu is a start but right now still comes up short. We still are unable to get sec network, nfl networks, and some of the other programming. Until we get to a point where I can choose the channels I want without paying an arm and a leg and getting crappy service and support we still have a ways to go. So as of right now as nice as Google fiber is I would come up short only because I still need a cable package if I want my NFL football which means either going directv or paying 120-130 for Google cable.

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,027
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    Here is what Google has to say about Network Management.. Seems fair to me..

Network Management Google Fiber

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +4,268
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    I just got my cable + Internet bill reduced to around $125 for 15M.
    I also agree that 1G is WAY more then I need, BUT for a few dollars less and if it has the channels I want, I'd do it.

Because 85% of Americans don't need high upload speeds.

9. supermandroid

supermandroid Active Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto X 2nd Gen
    I hate to be that guy, but are you paying $56 a month for 50 megabytes down or megabits down? I am also with TWC, Internet only, and I pay $56 a month for 20 megabits (at it's peak) down. I'm curious as to what you did to get such a better deal!

I wholeheartedly disagree. I cut the cord a few years ago, and I've been doing just fine ever since. Granted, I have spent a lot of time researching workarounds, but I have been very pleased with my setup. My daughter can stream her ripped movies to her tablet or Chromecast through Plex, I can watch live sports/news through the Kodi NBC Live addon or my Mohu Leaf; I can also keep up to date with the latest TV shows and movies through Netflix, KMediaTorrents, and Popcorn Time. My whole house is wired with Cat5e and all my switches and router are gigabit ready. Granted, I can't get every single sports game out there, but the Super Bowl is available on both my Mohu Leaf and on the NBC Live addon. While gigabit may not be fully utilized by all, I don't see that as reason enough not to bring more options to the masses. I would happily pay Google $70 a month for 1000 Mbps internet versus paying TWC $56 a month for 20 Mbps.

10. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,242
    People who say we don't need Gigabit Internet are missing the bigger picture. Content will continue to evolve, and the consumption of content is going to grow.

We need to be forward thinking with our infrastructure in order to accommodate and facilitate that evolution. If we continuously stay mired in the idea that, "aww... this is good enough," then we will never progress. It won't be just about watching 4K streaming movies either. Eventually, the Internet will need to support much more advanced concepts like fully-HD, real-time video teleconferencing and other forms of long-distance instant communication.

Finally, our PCs have become so fast that the Internet (at current average speeds across the country) has become the bottleneck. Do we really want to be the country that gets left behind by not advancing Internet infrastructure to its greatest achievement? That would be like saying, "I'll be fine with this old Pentium... I don't need anything newer or faster." There will always be advances in software that require more powerful hardware, and the same is true for the Internet.

And, let's be honest, if Google's Gigabit Internet came to your area and was cheaper than what you were paying for a 25-50Mbps connection, you would jump on it in a heart-beat. Assuming that you get good customer service from Google, then it would be foolish to pay more money for less performance.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +674
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    I call every year and negotiate a new deal whenever they try to jack up the price on me. And sorry, should have said 50Mb. megabits.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +4,268
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    And I think you're not giving us enough credit. Most of us, the majority, I would guess, are pretty damn tech savvy. I'm not missing the bigger picture, and I don't think anyone else is here either.
    Content will continue to evolve. Of course.
    But it's going to be YEARS before I have a 4K or 8K or whatever the heck is next TV.
    For my needs. Today. I without doubt do not need more then the 15M I have now.
    Online PC gaming?? Plenty. Streaming Netflix and Amazon at the same time? Plenty.

Talk to me in 2 years. 4. Hell, Goog Fiber probably won't hit CLE for another 15 years anyway. Not because there's anything wrong with CLE, we're just not hip enough.

We are taking about today, right? :D

Search tags for this page
google fiber basic internet forum 2015
google fiber network box with my own router double nat
is google fiber worth

is google fiber worth it

is google fiber worth the money