Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
What are their data caps?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
When GB service becomes available in my area.. I'm on it...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I do not think we will be able to fully take advantage until we get to where we can ditch cable and stream the content we want. Slingtv and hulu is a start but right now still comes up short. We still are unable to get sec network, nfl networks, and some of the other programming. Until we get to a point where I can choose the channels I want without paying an arm and a leg and getting crappy service and support we still have a ways to go. So as of right now as nice as Google fiber is I would come up short only because I still need a cable package if I want my NFL football which means either going directv or paying 120-130 for Google cable.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I just got my cable + Internet bill reduced to around $125 for 15M.
I also agree that 1G is WAY more then I need, BUT for a few dollars less and if it has the channels I want, I'd do it.

Johnonaz
Power for the long haul with a battery saver feature that extends your device by up to 90 minutes.

Because 85% of Americans don't need high upload speeds.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I pay Time Warner $56 a month after tax for Internet, and I am rated at 50MB down and 5MB up. Though to compete with Google Fiber, TW is is supposed to be upping that to 200MB down and 10/15MB up for free.

Even still, out of sheer principle of being screwed over by Time Warner's terrible customer service, and inconsistent Internet speeds. I would gladly pay Google $70 a month to tell Time Warner to go kick rocks.

I hate to be that guy, but are you paying $56 a month for 50 megabytes down or megabits down? I am also with TWC, Internet only, and I pay $56 a month for 20 megabits (at it's peak) down. I'm curious as to what you did to get such a better deal!

Right now, there is no practical reason for GB internet. When 4K video become what 1080p is now, then yes you will need much more than 50Mbps to do streaming from multiple devices and use the web.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I cut the cord a few years ago, and I've been doing just fine ever since. Granted, I have spent a lot of time researching workarounds, but I have been very pleased with my setup. My daughter can stream her ripped movies to her tablet or Chromecast through Plex, I can watch live sports/news through the Kodi NBC Live addon or my Mohu Leaf; I can also keep up to date with the latest TV shows and movies through Netflix, KMediaTorrents, and Popcorn Time. My whole house is wired with Cat5e and all my switches and router are gigabit ready. Granted, I can't get every single sports game out there, but the Super Bowl is available on both my Mohu Leaf and on the NBC Live addon. While gigabit may not be fully utilized by all, I don't see that as reason enough not to bring more options to the masses. I would happily pay Google $70 a month for 1000 Mbps internet versus paying TWC $56 a month for 20 Mbps.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
People who say we don't need Gigabit Internet are missing the bigger picture. Content will continue to evolve, and the consumption of content is going to grow.

We need to be forward thinking with our infrastructure in order to accommodate and facilitate that evolution. If we continuously stay mired in the idea that, "aww... this is good enough," then we will never progress. It won't be just about watching 4K streaming movies either. Eventually, the Internet will need to support much more advanced concepts like fully-HD, real-time video teleconferencing and other forms of long-distance instant communication.

Finally, our PCs have become so fast that the Internet (at current average speeds across the country) has become the bottleneck. Do we really want to be the country that gets left behind by not advancing Internet infrastructure to its greatest achievement? That would be like saying, "I'll be fine with this old Pentium... I don't need anything newer or faster." There will always be advances in software that require more powerful hardware, and the same is true for the Internet.

And, let's be honest, if Google's Gigabit Internet came to your area and was cheaper than what you were paying for a 25-50Mbps connection, you would jump on it in a heart-beat. Assuming that you get good customer service from Google, then it would be foolish to pay more money for less performance.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I hate to be that guy, but are you paying $56 a month for 50 megabytes down or megabits down? I am also with TWC, Internet only, and I pay $56 a month for 20 megabits (at it's peak) down. I'm curious as to what you did to get such a better deal!

I call every year and negotiate a new deal whenever they try to jack up the price on me. And sorry, should have said 50Mb. megabits.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
People who say we don't need Gigabit Internet are missing the bigger picture. Content will continue to evolve, and the consumption of content is going to grow.

And I think you're not giving us enough credit. Most of us, the majority, I would guess, are pretty damn tech savvy. I'm not missing the bigger picture, and I don't think anyone else is here either.
Content will continue to evolve. Of course.
But it's going to be YEARS before I have a 4K or 8K or whatever the heck is next TV.
For my needs. Today. I without doubt do not need more then the 15M I have now.
Online PC gaming?? Plenty. Streaming Netflix and Amazon at the same time? Plenty.

Talk to me in 2 years. 4. Hell, Goog Fiber probably won't hit CLE for another 15 years anyway. Not because there's anything wrong with CLE, we're just not hip enough.

We are taking about today, right? :D

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@PereDroid, I didn't mean to imply anything negative. I know you guys are tech-savvy! :)

My point is simply... why wait? What point would there be for any company to wait on this tech. Now is the time to start that long roll-out process. Technology is going to start advancing at an even more accelerated pace. While a 15M connection may be "fine" right now, that doesn't mean it couldn't be better. The next few years are crucial to setup what we will see down the road.

Plus, if we don't hold the ISPs' feet to the fire, they will simply do their best to keep the status quo for as long as possible. We need to shake off any lethargy! ;)

dja1980

Reaction score
I hate to be that guy, but are you paying $56 a month for 50 megabytes down or megabits down?
I have made this mistake as well... it would make more sense for companies to advertise their speeds in MB/s, but I guess that doesn't look nearly as enticing since 50mbps = 6.25MB/s

Also, I'm sure many of you have seen the 2012 Google Fiber video... but this thread caused me to pull it up and give it another watch... VERY well done...

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
4k video is another useless standard. That garbage shouldn't even be allowed to take up bandwidth because nobodies eyes can tell the difference, anyway.

Beardface

Reaction score
As someone who pays $160 for cable and internet right now through the satanic butthole known as Time Warner Cable for speeds that truly do get spliced enough in this house to cause issues, yes, Google Fiber is worth it and then some, even if it means I jump to DirecTV for watching television.

I'd pay $70 a month alone just to rid myself of TWC. Period. The fact that I'll be getting internet speeds exponentially faster than what I have now for that price, meaning that I'll be able to work seamlessly from home while signed into to my company's remote systems while my wife streams HD Netflix downstairs while also doing her own work while also having the ability to keep multiple other devices (like tablets, phones, security systems, etc) still sync'd with the WiFi is icing on the cake. Do I absolutely need gigabit internet right now? No, but we're evolving so fast that its nearly inevitable that we will.

Thankfully, with today's announcement, it sounds like I'll have that chance.

Last edited:

Beardface

Reaction score
4k video is another useless standard. That garbage shouldn't even be allowed to take up bandwidth because nobodies eyes can tell the difference, anyway.
You most certainly can tell a difference, especially with bigger screens. Trust me, there's a noticeable difference in a 60" 1080p and a 60" 4k. Was watching a soccer game on a large screen 4k not too long ago, and you could plain as day read the names and numbers on the backs of the jerseys while the camera was at regular zoom. That's really not possible with the current systems.

Gremlin

Reaction score
YWas watching a soccer game on a large screen 4k not too long ago, and you could plain as day read the names and numbers on the backs of the jerseys while the camera was at regular zoom. That's really not possible with the current systems.

Where you watching the game at :)

Sorry Kodiak.. What do you mean by nobody? Everyone can see the difference between 4K resolution and 1080P.. Its crisp and clear. However if cable companies get hold of distribution of channels in 4K, than it is worthless because you know they are going to ruin it..