[Updated] Google Fiber is Un-Officially Rolling Out to Austin, Texas

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-fiber-logo.jpg

Update: The below document was sent out as a dummy press release in case Google made the Google Fiber in Austin, TX official announcement. The original source did not make this clear, so this news is technically not officially confirmed and we updated this story. We will keep you posted if an actual official launch is announced.

Over the weekend there was some speculation that Google would announced bringing their Google Fiber Broadband service to Austin, TX. The speculation may be right. The 1Gbps Internet service and Fiber-based TV will likely be making its way to the tech-mecca of Texas. Here's the un-official press statement from Gig.U:

Gig.U Congratulates the City of Austin, TX and Google for Gigabit Expansion

(WASHINGTON) Today, Google announced it will add Austin, Texas to the Google Fiber project, joining Kansas City, Kansas and Missouri as American communities that have the power to bring next generation networks home. Gig.U, a coalition of three-dozen research university communities working together to support educational and economic development by accelerating the deployment of next generation networks, issued the following statement by Executive Director Blair Levin:

Gig.U congratulates Google and the City of Austin for their initiative to bring a world-leading network to one of the world's great research university communities. This effort will pay enormous dividends for the country, as it will help develop the human capital America needs to lead a global economy that increasingly creates value with big data and big bandwidth. The Austin project, as well as the recent response to the North Carolina Next Generation Network project demonstrates that university communities are increasingly recognized as attractive partners for next generation network deployments because of the innovative spirit and demand profiles of their residents. We look forward to watching and learning from the exciting growth and innovation to come from the Google Fiber projects, and accelerating such efforts in Gig.U communities throughout the country.

The source of this info didn't share the most important detail regarding this, and that is "when" it will be coming, but at least folks in Austin know they may be next on the list. Stay tuned for more details.

Source: Gig.U | The University Community Next Generation Innovation Network

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Why couldn't they release it where they started here in the Bay Area dangit!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Thats my question too. I'm not located near them, but why there. I have a feeling its all about volume of customers. Perhaps its still in testing phases and they couldn't handle the bay area load.

Last edited:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is still in it's infancy stages, it will take quite some time before you see it in heavily congested areas. Reminds me of Verizon Fios, took them a few years before they got it rolling into heavily congested areas.

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
Ugh i wish they would bring it here to California but the main reason they dont is state laws and the needed infrastructure is not there. If its going to cost them a lot of money to put in the fiber lines and if it gets in the way of laws in place prohibiting google to add lines in certain ways they need to, they just avoid those states/cities at least for the time being. Usually places who already have fiber installations or underground built cables and so forth would be the ones in line to get it sooner than the ones which dont. Least thats what ive been told.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Ugh i wish they would bring it here to California but the main reason they dont is state laws and the needed infrastructure is not there. If its going to cost them a lot of money to put in the fiber lines and if it gets in the way of laws in place prohibiting google to add lines in certain ways they need to, they just avoid those states/cities at least for the time being. Usually places who already have fiber installations or underground built cables and so forth would be the ones in line to get it sooner than the ones which dont. Least thats what ive been told.

yup, local and state politics are what hindered Verizon in many states. I can only assume that's the case with Google Fiber.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

I know right? I live like 15 minutes away from Google HQ :nerd:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Goodbye Time Warner is all I can say.

Jeyman

Reaction score
I am happy to see it rolling out, however I know it wont hit my area of New York anytime soon.

I think the idea of this was to give high speed to areas that do not already have it, no? so ya we have a long time to wait.