Is Google Fiber worth it?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
google-fiber-1.jpg

This thread was inspired by @cr6. Some of us have grown tired of our service options as far as cable and internet. And in our frustrations we begin to wonder if the grass is greener on the other side. I am not here to convince you one way or another but to just present the facts and ask you to look at your current provider to determine if you would be getting a deal or paying more.

Lets start with the facts and to do so we are going to use the rates for Kansas City. Google Fiber as of now offers 3 options; Gigabit+TV, Gigabit Internet, and Basic Internet.

Gigabit +TV:

Gigabit Internet
  • $70 per month
  • 1000 Mbps (1 gig) up/down
  • 1 TB storage
  • Network Box
  • 1 year commitment with $300 construction fee waived

Basic Internet
  • $0 per month
  • +$300 construction fee one time or $25/mo for 12 months
  • 5 Mbps down 1 up
  • Network Box
  • No contract and free service for at least 7 years

So I challenge you to look at your current bill and ask are you saving or losing by switching. Keep in mind the speeds your current provider offers. For me Gigabit Internet with Hulu, Netflix, and SlingTV would come to $107 (give or take). My current bill with Xfinity 50 Mbps up/down and the sports package come to $99.

Last edited by a moderator:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
$80-$90/month with HBO and 50mbps...that internet speed is plenty fine, probably even for a family (unless like 3-4 are streaming Netflix separately).

So Google's Gigabit+TV is paying more money for internet speeds I don't need. Their basic internet is mostly useless for video content, and the standalone gigabit service isn't much of a value, if at all, once you add some subs for content like Hulu, HBO, etc..

RyanPm40

Reaction score
$80-$90/month with HBO and 50mbps...that internet speed is plenty fine, probably even for a family (unless like 3-4 are streaming Netflix separately).

So Google's Gigabit+TV is paying more money for internet speeds I don't need. Their basic internet is mostly useless for video content, and the standalone gigabit service isn't much of a value, if at all, once you add some subs for content like Hulu, HBO, etc..

How is 5mb down useless for video content? I feel like that's faster than what a lot of people in the US get. Plenty fast for netflix

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Gigabit Internet
  • $70 per month
  • 1000 Mbps (1 gig) up/down
  • 1 TB storage
  • Network Box
  • 1 year commitment with $300 construction fee waived
As far as I am concerned this is an awesome deal. Here in Thailand where internet rates are cheap, I pay $35 for 30Mbps on Fibre and they want $70. for 50Mbps.

If I am streaming a move and my wife is as well, I do [not often] get some buffering.
If I had an opportunity to get the Google deal, I would jump on it. It's an excellent value.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Fortunately I get free WiFi at my apartment complex. Most people have to go into the actual clubhouse/pool area to get a signal, but we live right next door and are able to get it anywhere in our apt. Then if it's too crowded, I simple tether off.my unlimited. No streaming problems at all. win win

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Netflix needs 10-12mbps to stream HD video
This is from the Netflix Help Site

Internet Connection Speed Recommendations
Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.

• 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
  • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
  • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
  • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
This is PER stream. If family members are streaming at the same time you will need more bandwidth.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Haven't had any buffering problems since I picked up the FireStick. Full HD with 5.1surround sound. -Its a beautiful thing.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is from the Netflix Help Site

Internet Connection Speed Recommendations
Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.

• 0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
  • 1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
  • 3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
  • 25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality
This is PER stream. If family members are streaming at the same time you will need more bandwidth.

That's consistent streaming speeds. Connections that advertise "up to 6mbps" typically won't cut it. And I believe their "SuperHD" (which is a superior, less compressed 1080p) is actually 7mbps recommended - you'll need something in the neighborhood of a 10-12mbps connection to stream that without issue.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I pay Time Warner $56 a month after tax for Internet, and I am rated at 50MB down and 5MB up. Though to compete with Google Fiber, TW is is supposed to be upping that to 200MB down and 10/15MB up for free.

Even still, out of sheer principle of being screwed over by Time Warner's terrible customer service, and inconsistent Internet speeds. I would gladly pay Google $70 a month to tell Time Warner to go kick rocks.

I saw the Google Fiber trucks while riding my bike yesterday after work in a neighborhood right near downtown, however, not sure how long it will take to hit my apartment out in Oak Hill.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I pay $188/mo for (Up to) 60mbps internet and the "Silver Package" channels, with HBO, Showtime, Cinemax.

We consistently get around 40mbps down and I love it. Does just fine, but if I could save that much each month and still get the channels for the little guy and at least the three premiums I listed above, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

thc1967

Reaction score
I would probably at least do the Gigabit Internet as a big FU to my local cable monopoly. I might even add the TV to it if the channel lineup was compelling. Sadly, it's not an option in my area.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Right now, there is no practical reason for GB internet. When 4K video become what 1080p is now, then yes you will need much more than 50Mbps to do streaming from multiple devices and use the web.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Right now, there is no practical reason for GB internet. When 4K video become what 1080p is now, then yes you will need much more than 50Mbps to do streaming from multiple devices and use the web.
But who wants to be practical anyway?! Haha! And what's the potential that they'll push past GB speeds on their network around the time everyone else is bumping up to GB?

Overkill just ensures the best possible experience.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I would happily pay $70 for 1gig up/down. I'm currently paying $60 for 65down/4up. Its the up speed that sucks. I'd kill for 10 up or something. I have no idea why ISPs are so stingy with the upload speed.