Google's "Fiber for Communities" or "Gigabit"

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Are your communities EVEN getting involved in this I wonder?

Do many of you even know that Google is going to be building (FOR FREE) an ultra highspeed internet with speeds over 1 gigabit a second.. Fiber to the home!!!!

I am the lead activist in Oklahoma City and was curious about members here being involved in or filling out their petition form for your city..

Official Google Blog: Think big with a gig: Our experimental fiber network

AMAZING STUFF..

FB group I set up.. Bring Google's Gigabit Broadband to OKLAHOMA CITY! | Facebook

Curious to see how other droid forums users communities are doing?

JCo352

Reaction score
Are your communities EVEN getting involved in this I wonder?

Do many of you even know that Google is going to be building (FOR FREE) an ultra highspeed internet with speeds over 1 gigabit a second.. Fiber to the home!!!!

I am the lead activist in Oklahoma City and was curious about members here being involved in or filling out their petition form for your city..

Official Google Blog: Think big with a gig: Our experimental fiber network

AMAZING STUFF..

FB group I set up.. Bring Google's Gigabit Broadband to OKLAHOMA CITY! | Facebook

Curious to see how other droid forums users communities are doing?

I nominated my small town, but I doubt we'll get it. I'm about 270 mile from you over here in Tx.

OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
But what about your City?

Is the Mayor or City Council getting involved?

Or are they kinda clueless about what excatly this means?

I waited 3 weeks before doing something about my City not reacting to it..

It quite possibly is one of the most revolutionary things to ever happen to ANY city in America..

I don't think people understand HOW MANY technological companies will be ascending upon the city that Google chooses for it's Ultra high speed internet..

These thug monopoly's have to have the US Government (FCC) FORCE them into speeding up their greedy arsses by passing broadband legislation.. Even then it's ONLY going to be 100mbs.. While Google is going to be over 1500mbs... LAWL

texasPI

Reaction score
My home town, El Paso, TX, did apply to google to be a test market. Too bad I no longer live there!

Silver Member
Reaction score
I nominated my general area as well. The cable company pretty much has a monopoly on broadband here.

hailster

Reaction score
My city is trying to get Google to come here. I really hope we get it since we only have AT&T or Time Warner here.

jtcampbell

Reaction score
Yes, Greenville, SC got involved...this past weekend...as shown below.
2,000+ people gathered in our downtown Falls Park by the Reedy River to spell out "GOOGLE" with glo-sticks. This is Google's photographers' picture from the air!

OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Ya here's a video from the aerial they took of all the glow sticks.. Hard to make out some of the letters though..

[video=youtube;rNmuEhQW5JI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNmuEhQW5JI&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Google On Main in Greenville, SC - And Aerial Viewpoint.[/video]

And another of a Mayor taking a dip in frigid cold water!

[video=youtube;Tn1D9OVkruM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn1D9OVkruM&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Duluth Mayor Takes on Lake Superior for Google.mov[/video]

And another swimming with sharks..

[video=youtube;2ePQGy_nJZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ePQGy_nJZk&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Mayor of Sarasota swims with the Sharks for Google Fiber[/video]

Too bad, not even my local news channel ran their story on Google till ONE DAY before the deadline... (I guess that just goes to show you how corporations can suffocate something so great..)

My city (Oklahoma City) went 3 weeks before I had enough and went in front of City Council and talked about what a great opportunity we were letting go by.

I mean you seriously have to question any City that didn't jump on board this petition.. Over 1 gigabit in speed "Fiber to the Home!", Free installation (at a cost of like 4,000$ per household!), Most every major tech company would ascend upon your city to test out products and services related to this.. Seems Cox and AT&T have a tight strangle hold on our city!

Sad.. cause I'm sure there are other cities like mine being bought out from under it's citizens without their knowledge..

Guess that's what you call being in somebody's pocket...

GOOD LUCK to ALL OF YOU Whose city is up for nomination.. I might be moving there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHA

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ahh **** ME only like 5 of us from my town have attempted to get it. via google buzz LOL we have maybe 2 new buzzes a day....

Mayors taking dips in frigid water, hundreds of people with glow stick... my town FAILS

-=jason=-

Hiroller173

Reaction score
I live in one of the "5 Desperate Communities" - specifically, the one with the mayor that swam with the sharks...

For the life of me I can't see what swimming with sharks - or in ice cold water - has to do with gigabit fiber. How about throwing out some ideas of what the fiber would do in terms of generating societal or economic benefits? How about an actual business case that demonstrates how Google would benefit by giving the community high speed data communications?

Oh yeah, I forgot, these are politicians. What could I have been thinking? :mad:

OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
I used this 2007 CDC report to help interest members of my City Council on Google Fiber..

A lot of you might find it VERY interesting as well..

This is a summary of Cell Phone only households and where the greatest concentration of them are in America..

Currently 1 in 4 people living in Oklahoma or Utah have Cell Phone only households..

Arizona is like 4th.. Flagstaff and Tempe tried to bring Google there too!

Check it.. Pages 2 and 3 have some interesting data on them..

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr014.pdf

Then watch this video.. (I posted it on these forums quite some time ago..) Shows where we are headed as a society..

[video=youtube;6ILQrUrEWe8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ILQrUrEWe8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Did You Know 4.0[/video]