iPhone vs Droid operating fluidity?

itwerk

Reaction score
it seems that the iPhone and touch have amazingly smooth scrolling and everything is much more fluid compared to my Droid. is this a software or hardware thing? :iphone:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My droid has very smooth scrolling and is very fluid. Are you using a home replacement? Lots of those slow everything down.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
it seems that the iPhone and touch have amazingly smooth scrolling and everything is much more fluid compared to my Droid. is this a software or hardware thing? :iphone:

I dropped AT&T last November due to their terrible coverage which meant I gave up my iPhone. I purchased my Droid Dec 26. At first, I was not sure that I would be happy. I think the main issue getting used to the iPhone UI was easier than the Droid's. Now, that I've used the Droid for a few months and rooted my phone, I think the Droid is definitely a better product.

Give it some time and I think you'll be pleased.

Mike

anuraj1

Reaction score
I haven't used my iPod Touch much since I got my Droid in November. I picked it up today, and in all honesty, the iPhone OS is definitely very smooth and polished and the effects when opening and closing things, sending emails, etc, are very fluid. It might be because the iPhone OS can only do one thing at a time, so it does one thing excellently. I love that I can multi-task and customize my Droid to exactly what I want and need. It is literally customized to my personality. And it does many things at the same thing very very well. So even though it was interesting to play with the old ipod today, I think I like doing many things at once very well rather than one specific thing excellently.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Its easy to be smooth when you are running at a garbage resolution.

anuraj1

Reaction score
Its easy to be smooth when you are running at a garbage resolution.

+1

You're totally right, the iphone has half the resolution that the Droid does. Didn't even think of that.

spillner

Reaction score
Mayebe not so much the UI for me but the iPhones Browser is way smoother, been that way since I got 2.0.1, hoping it gets fixed for 2.1

R1Lover

Reaction score
I own an iphone and have for three years... it's still on and I still use it from time to time... to be very honest the iphone is much smoother then the droid. With that said I still use my droid everyday and the iphone stays at home turned off.

Now to be honest the reason is the droid is my work phone and I don't want to carry two phones.... but in time I plan to shut the iphone off and keep using the droid. Now if I could get the iphone on Verizon then I would most likely go with the iphone to be honest.

It works better with exchange and verizon/motorola still haven't come up with a solution for the exchange issues.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
Low resolution and the inability to do more than one thing at once = very fluid transitions.

You know what else was smooth? MS-DOS.

Jokes aside, my Droid is always pretty smooth. :\ No big issues.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mayebe not so much the UI for me but the iPhones Browser is way smoother, been that way since I got 2.0.1, hoping it gets fixed for 2.1

The default browser sucks, that's a known issue and a common complaint. Try xScope, I think you'll be pleased. It's the fastest browser available so far (and that's not speculation, that confirmed benchmarks). The developer is VERY active here on the forums.

As for the OP's comment... come on, really?? The iPhone is 1) on it's 3rd generation, 2) as mentioned above as crap for resolution (easy to scroll smoothly when you only have to push out 1/2 the pixels and 3) a completely closed system (i.e. Apple only had to make and support their browser for 1 hardware profile (and OS version))...

NoKz

Reaction score
My phone scrolls smoothly without any hickups. Oh, and I can actually use my 3G. AT&T's 3G coverage is a joke.

DigiK

Reaction score
Take advantage of the hardware Motorola has blessed you with: root, overclock to 1-1.2 GHz, and achieve display performance parity with iPhone at twice the resolution (not to mention double the computing performance). ;)

natty_lite

Reaction score
Its by design. It uses animations to transition between actions that don't happen instantly. The experience is very controlled. For example, the scrolling on the browser isn't kinetic, ie: you can't scroll for long distances on and single flick in Mobile Safari like you can on the Android Browser.

As far as I can tell, the browser scrolling on the stock Android apps transition pretty damn good. 3rd party applications aren't always up to the same level of quality, unfortunately.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
my droid runs just fine to me. Then again the OP is the same person who started a thread to ask whats the best iphone theme for his droid. i dont see the point of these "the iphone does this better" threads. i think someone has the wrong phone.

Last edited:
OP
itwerk

itwerk

Reaction score
my droid runs just fine to me. Then again the OP is the same person who started a thread to ask whats the best iphone theme for his droid. i dont see the point of these "the iphone does this better" threads. i think someone has the wrong phone. I:heart::motdroidhoriz:. I:mad::iphone:

I do love the iPhone. But Id rather have Verizon over at&t any day. But I love the Droid too.
It's amazing.