Thinking of going to iOS for the smoothness, am I crazy?

jefbystereo

Reaction score
I have only used android (Original Droid- rooted and romd, Galaxy nexus- rooted and romd, nexus 7 2013- stock). I am considering an iphone for my next phone and here's why. Maybe someone can tell me if this seems like a good fit or not.

After my wife's Droid Global turned out to be such a piece of junk she got an iPhone 5s when her contract was up. While I don't love everything iOS has to offer, one thing I cant get over is how smooth the OS is. Even my nexus7 which feels snappy to me doesn't have the fluidity that the iphone has- its like the screen is attached to your finger when you scroll on it. On the nexus it always lags a step behind, and I can tell that the framerate suffers when scrolling rapidly.

This drop in framerate and lower touch sensitivity is something that I am really sensitive to and probably enough to make me switch. I was really really considering the MotoX, but am worried that it still wont be as fluid since the specs are similar to the nexus7 (although with fewer pixels to push). Are there any android phones out right now that have that iOS fluidity?

jmanches

Reaction score
I have the latest maxx and it is very smooth. Very rarely do I notice any lag at all. I would try the x if you like the android experience. If you are on Verizon, take a look at the maxx.... basically the same phone as the x with a bigger screen and insane battery

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Coworker just got an X. Wow. SMOOTH as freaking butter. Granted it's brand new. But I am really impressed how silky and smooth it is.

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Maxx here. Pretty smooth. Only notice lag when I go back home screen and the droid command center redraws. But I've had no freezing, stutters, or reboots. I've held the X and can say it felt real good on all facets.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
IPhone 5 vs droid global is comparing apples to horses.
I'd suggest mess with one in a store before making the decision but reboot the test model first.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I am going to say this... IOS phone owners are far more reluctant to tell you the "bad" things about their phones than are Android phone owners. The reason is probably deeply rooted in the cult-like mentality and how tightly controlled the while Apple thing is. Also, nobody really wants to be the "odd man out" in a world that's surrounded by iPhones and people who "love their iPhone". I know for a fact that iPhone users have problems with their phones too. It's not as "perfect, smooth, seamless, trouble-free" as they'd like you to believe.

The level of lack of customization in the IOS phones is one many will not be comfortable with. I've never even wanted to "play" with an iPhone. I pick them up, flip the screens a couple times and then put them down again. I do however have lots of fun playing with my Android phone. I think you will be disappointed with the iPhone, but hey, to each his or her own.

Edit; Regarding framerate, fluidity. Until Android manufacturers make their own Graphics Chips custom to order, we will likely not see that "attached to your finger" response that you mention. Still, we're talking about a fraction of a second of "lag" at the moment you move the finger. Once moving it stays relatively "attached to your finger". Also, framerate may be a bit slower in scrolls, but in the grand scheme of things what percentage of actual use constitutes that miniscule lag? It would be measured in thousandths of percentages of time you are actually using the phone... Split seconds over many hours.

If you're the type that gets fixated on one tiny thing and that becomes a focus of attention such that it distracts you from everything else (no insult intended...coming from another ADD person ! LOL!), then maybe the iPhone won't be a problem since that distraction won't be there and you'll overlook all the other things about it that I can't stand. On the other hand, if you can get past that minute distraction (with practice, it comes...), then I think you'll be genuinely impressed with the X, Ultra, MAXX...

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you what. I got new droid maxx and it was fast and smooth. Then I migrated all my music and pictures from my old nexus, about 5gb of songs and 3k pictures. Phone started to lag noticeably so I moved most of the pictures to pc but left the songs, now it's back to being snappy. This is in conjunction with about 6-7k text messages that I have saved on device.

I believe even iPhone will lag if you fill it up with media. But they are built differently. Android will run operations in background while trying to keep main display smooth. iOS will freeze all background operations to allocate all resources to fluidity of user experience. One of the reasons why android can multitask better then ios.

robdam1001

Reaction score
IOS phone owners are far more reluctant to tell you the "bad" things about their phones than are Android phone owners. The reason is probably deeply rooted in the cult-like mentality and how tightly controlled the while Apple thing is. Also, nobody really wants to be the "odd man out" in a world that's surrounded by iPhones and people who "love their iPhone". .
ROFL. Talk about a "cult like mentality"; Worst post ever ^^^^ Here's the bad with my iphone 5; screen size is way too small. iOS7 is a major fail. Happy-pappy?

RyanPm40

Reaction score
My Galaxy S4 is just as smooth as an iphone imo, and I've heard the Moto X and HTC One are as well. I have owned a Gnex and used a Nexus 7, and I agree there definitely is a bit of lag/choppiness to them

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Great answers all. (MotoXGirl very simply nailed it). Something I see all the time because I see so many iPhone users in my business is that when something crashes it isn't as obvious, (they don't know it crashed at all), as when something crashes in Android. I think Apple figures that what you don't know won't hurt you. I hear complaints from Apple users all the time but they just suck it up due to that logo.

Oh yea, cost and size be damned. :hail:

OP
J

jefbystereo

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I think motoxgirl was the only one to technically answer my question though :) .
I went and played with some phones at Verizon today and the motox is pretty darn smooth. Its easily the smoothest android experience I've seen and that was on the bloated store phone. It wasnt quite as fluid as the iPhone but it was close enough to give me something to think about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
ROFL. Talk about a "cult like mentality"; Worst post ever ^^^^ Here's the bad with my iphone 5; screen size is way too small. iOS7 is a major fail. Happy-pappy?

OK, I deserved (some of) that. I didn't word that post properly (I actually like leeshore's take on it), and I'm sorry. Thankfully, I have the courage to admit it.

There are plenty of reasons why the iPhone still sells better than any other phone (http://m.gsmarena.com/newscomm-7357.php). It's true the iPhone still does do most of what it does extremely well - one thing in particular is screen responsiveness.

That said, other phones and manufacturers are catching up in areas that iPhone has long dominated, among them screen quality, camera quality and most specifically fluidness. Motorola's X8 family of phones (to include Ultra, Mini, MAXX and X) are just one example, there are others...Samsung's Galaxy S4, LG G2. Sony Xperia Z, Nokia Lumina 1020, to name a few.

My original point to address the OP's question (before I fell off the track with comment of cult-like mentality - my bad), was that it's no longer that far off, and for most it's a non-issue. There are enough other very strong reasons to look away from the iPhone and towards the Android evolution of phones, otherwise Android wouldn't now hold the top position and by a ratio of over six to one.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

NOVICE

Reaction score
I tend to agree that the iPhone 5 series provides the most fluid, responsive handsets currently available.

I credit Apple's fanatical control over and integration of hardware and software for this experience. But at a cost: I can, for instance, share content from my Android phone with others using a plethora of apps. Apple don't allow that. Total integration lessens flexibility and choice.

But the difference between these Apple products and the top Android devices re buttery smoothness is so subtle as to approach meaninglessness, at least for me.

I'm hard-core Galaxy Note and I can't see ever surrendering my S pen and screen real estate for the iPhone experience.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree that the iPhone 5 series provides the most fluid, responsive handsets currently available.

But the difference between these Apple products and the top Android devices re buttery smoothness is so subtle as to approach meaninglessness, at least for me.

I'm hard-core Galaxy Note and I can't see ever surrendering my S pen and screen real estate for the iPhone experience.
I've got animations OFF and force gpu on my Note2 because I actually prefer the snappy to the animated fluidity. Is it buttery smooth? No. It's best described as a fire cracker snappy. BAM you're where you want to be,move to a multi window and BAM you're there. Pull down bar? BAM you're there. Scroll to other home screens is BAM you're there. Post a reply on this forum, BAM I'm where I want to be.

Agreed,s pen ftw

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)