iPhone vs Droid operating fluidity?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by itwerk, Feb 27, 2010.

1. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if you like the iphone because its "smoother", then leave us and go get an iphone, no one will care if you're here or not. this isnt directed at anyone in particular, but if you're dumb and want a smartphone, the iphone is the ultimate idiots smartphone...and there seem to be a plethora of idiots who decided a droid was a good idea because they saw all the commercials, then blame the phone and android for not doing what they want because they're too simple to figure it out. it's embarassing..

2. jphudy

jphudy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know about you all, but my Droid runs butter-smooth. It's @ 1Ghz. Its kinda like a rocketship.

3. gotta have that funk

gotta have that funk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^agreed. my droid runs twice the processor speed, at twice the resolution, on a network more than twice as reliable as at&t...

give android 2-3 more years and see where it is then compared to where iphone is now in 2010...it'll be a hilarious comparison.

4. kevin1016

kevin1016 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed. The iPhone/iPod Touch is definitely smoother. I'm very satisfied with the Droid and I've got it overclocked but I'm not going to lie, it's just the truth. Even overclocked, the Droid has a slight lag at times. I'd be surprised to hear from a Droid owner that has never seen their phone lag during transitions.

5. SinCitySRT4

SinCitySRT4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no doubt theres some lag on the droid at times but its hard to compare it to the iphone when the iphone only runs one thing at a time and the droid is multitasking

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  6. kenkamm

kenkamm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The reason the iPhone works more smoothly than the Droid isn't because the iPhone doesn't multitask and it's not because it has lower resolution. It's because Apple chose to make the fluid interface a priority and they made sure the software was written that way. Apple is a stickler for little details like that. It uses OpenGL to render the graphical interface, and the droid does not.

I like the Droid, and I liked my iPhone too. Right now I'm using the Droid because it has more of the features I like today than the iPhone does. So all the people that come out of their holes to shout, "if u dont like ur droid go bak to ur iphone" just need to crawl back into their little holes, because you are just as much of a "fanboy" as the iPhone users are. I'm not a fanboy, I use what's good, and change it up once in a while to keep it interesting.

The resolution argument isn't valid because the hardware on these phones is MORE than capable of rendering fluid graphics at the resolution the Droid has - it's a matter of writing software to take advantage of it.

The multitasking argument isn't valid either, because anyone who has a jailbroken iPhone can tell you that you can install Backgrounder and run Pandora and whatever else you want in the background, and magically, it works great. The browser still flows smoothly as do all the window animation and transitions.

I'm running my Droid at 1 GHz with the lowest overhead I can manage, and I'm not going to fool myself into thinking the graphical interface is on par with the iPhone. That's not the Droid's strong suit. That doesn't make it a bad device by any means.

And to all those that say their Droid is as smooth as butter - good for you. You haven't used an iPhone long enough to see the difference. That's a gift. Keep it and enjoy the Droid more for it!

Now that I've said all that, I'll be sticking with Android until Apple can allow some basic things on their device without the need to jailbreak. :)

7. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe some of you hating so much on the iphone.... be truthful to yourself and call it like it is. If you think the droid is as smooth as the iphone then you haven't used both phones long enough.

There is no reason to be a loyalist, it serves no useful purpose.

8. SinCitySRT4

SinCitySRT4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just dont understand why they are always being compared when they are two completely different phones.

9. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's because everyone knows the iphone is the most popular phone in the market over the last 4 years. It's been the one on top and every phone manufacture knows it's the one to compare too. As for them being different? They really do go after the same market.

10. jimnutt

jimnutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, the iPhone/iPod touch resolution is closer to one third that of the Droid, not half (853 x 480 = 409440 pixels versus 320 x 480 = 153600 pixels or 2.66 times the number of pixels). Given that the processors are roughly the same speed it's not surprising the iPhone has more fluid scrolling. It's also the 3rd generation of the software and hardware, so it's had plenty of chances for optimization and tweaking.

11. darreno1

darreno1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You are correct in that Apple chose to make their UI smooth and use hardware (GPU) based rendering however the resolution will definitely have an impact on how much work the CPU/GPU has to do. Also people with jailbroken phones running multiple apps admit their phones do start to lag. It's not like iPhone OS is some magical piece of software that can manufacture memory on command. Android, built from the ground up to handle 3rd party app multitasking will do a much better job than any person running a hack (on an OS not designed for it) can do.

And BTW smooth transitions and animations between screens are not a good benchmark by which to judge an OS IMO. To me it's more of a gimmick than anything else as my Droid, running at the stock speed, is just as fast or faster than an iphone 3gs opening, closing, and switching between apps. And that's with running multiple widgets and 3rd party apps in the background.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  12. spillner

spillner Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I totally agree with you on this. People on here have to stop flaming other people when they complain about their phone. The iPhone has a smoother UI, get over it. The Droid is better we all know that, but their are some things that can be worked on. You shouldn't have to OC your phone to 1.1ghz to get the same UI performance as the iPhone. That being said, I absolutely love my phone and would never go back to an iPhone. The Droid is far superior to the iPhone in every way except for fluidity.

13. jsh1120

jsh1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    +1 and +1.

Apple made a series of design and engineering choices for the iPhone, all of them aimed toward the objective of providing a satisfying user experience in a consumer device for those who neither expect nor want to carry around a computer that makes phone calls. That objective triggered a series of features and limitations.

If, for example, you want to sell a device that does not require (or even allow) an occasional battery pull to straighten out a malfunctioning operating system, you'd better have close to a bulletproof o/s, limitations on multitasking, and ironclad control over the applications that can be added to the phone. And if you want to sell a device that consumers will perceive as having consistent and predictable performance, you'd better design a UI that reflects that consistency since "smoothness" is the most obvious clue an unsophisticated user has that the device is operating as he/she expects.

The android approach is fundamentally different. Not better. Not worse. Different. It opens potential that the iPhone cannot match. It also imposes burdens the iPhone doesn't have to deal with.

Over the last few days I've experienced several unexpected errors and twice had to pull my battery to straighten out the problems I was experiencing. My reaction was to uninstall the most recently installed apps and updates and monitor the Droid's performance. Had the same thing happened to my wife she would likely have stormed into a Verizon store and demanded that the phone be "fixed." And when the local VZW employees didn't have a clue, she would have returned the phone and made a beeline to the Apple store.

iPhones are brilliantly designed consumer devices. Android phones are works in progress. I enjoy tinkering with my phone just as I enjoy tinkering with my computer and my motorcycles. My wife (and most consumers) has other priorities and interests. My wife experiments with recipes. I follow a recipe slavishly and wouldn't think of substituting an ingredient. Different strokes.

14. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    as for the battery pulls... I have owned an iphone for 4 year and never once needed to pull a battery... lol so that battery pull limitation is just silly.

15. Mojo

Mojo Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The iPhone is not immune to having to hard reset it from time to time... it may not be in the form of a battery pull. But pressing and holding the home button and power button preforms this. Equal to a battery pull.

Search tags for this page

android fluidity

android vs ipod fluidity
fluidity game android
fluidity of iphone
html5 fluidity android
i phone jokes vs droid

iphone fluidity