I'm sure your tired of seeing this....

sackings245

Reaction score
but like most the other people on here i am having issues getting video to my droid. i dont want to spend money removing drm's from digital copies i already bought. ive used handbrake which got me a dvd copy on my computer but the file is like 6gb and thats way too big. i have also tried SUPER with was fast however the file was still too big and when i tried withmy digital copy it just failed. i really want to put movies on my droid and have tried everything i found but ijust keep failing. does anyone else have any solutions? thank you very much in advance for any advice.

OP
sackings245

sackings245

Reaction score
ok so ive read all those threads and i found think i found out what my problem is but i havent seen it covered anywhere yet. my problem is that everytime i rip a dvd using handbrake it puts the file into .m4v format even though i have .mp4 selected. even after taking the ripped file and running it through a second time with different settings i run into the same issue. ive used different setting found on this site and others and just cant seem to get it. is there something im doing wrong? if not how do i convert the .m4v to .mp4 cause handbrake just isnt doing it. thanks

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I used DVD Catalyst.....zero problems. files are 600 to 900 mb.....

D

dvdcatalyst

ok so ive read all those threads and i found think i found out what my problem is but i havent seen it covered anywhere yet. my problem is that everytime i rip a dvd using handbrake it puts the file into .m4v format even though i have .mp4 selected. even after taking the ripped file and running it through a second time with different settings i run into the same issue. ive used different setting found on this site and others and just cant seem to get it. is there something im doing wrong? if not how do i convert the .m4v to .mp4 cause handbrake just isnt doing it. thanks

In Handbrake just pick the iPhone profile, and you should be good to go.
(edit: at a lower resolution, but first create one working file and then start messing with the settings)

You can also rename the m4v file to mp4, which should also work.
m4v is just iTunes way of saying it's an Mp4 Video file :), (similar to it's way of using m4a for aac audio files.)

I just picked out a few threads, but if you do a search for Handbrake on these forums you will find more.

alphabuild

Reaction score
just change the file extension to mp4 in the file destination path before you rip. thats it. select a reasonable bit rate and make sure iPod 5g support is checked.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
In Handbrake just pick the iPhone profile, and you should be good to go.
(edit: at a lower resolution, but first create one working file and then start messing with the settings)

You can also rename the m4v file to mp4, which should also work.
m4v is just iTunes way of saying it's an Mp4 Video file :), (similar to it's way of using m4a for aac audio files.)

I just picked out a few threads, but if you do a search for Handbrake on these forums you will find more.

DVDcatalyst,

You are way to humble, your program is THE one to get..

DVD Catalyst 3 makes Converting Videos for the Droid so easy even a Caveman could do it.

All the rest of the programs are a waste of time IMHO.

D

dvdcatalyst

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.

The thing is, I try to avoid promoting my own software. If I start posting up stuff such as links and all, I don't think people would appreciate it too much, and see me more as someone abusing the forums for advertising.

My main intention for being here is to answer questions people have about my software (thats how I got here in the first place) and if I see questions I can provide answers for, regardless if its something for a similar application, I try to help with those as well.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.

The thing is, I try to avoid promoting my own software. If I start posting up stuff such as links and all, I don't think people would appreciate it too much, and see me more as someone abusing the forums for advertising.

My main intention for being here is to answer questions people have about my software (thats how I got here in the first place) and if I see questions I can provide answers for, regardless if its something for a similar application, I try to help with those as well.

Trust me, I respect the way you handle yourself here, it is admirable!

You sir, are an honest respectful businessman!

Kudos!

OP
sackings245

sackings245

Reaction score
ok so im making some progess, i did get video (if you want to call it that) and sound. however the video was very distorted and the sound was breaking up very badly. the setting im using are the ipod\iphone setting and then changing the resolution to i believe it was 720x400 (which was the dvd resolution) is there any other setting i should adjust. im very new to this, however i am catching on quickly (i think). and as always thanks for the help.

@alphabuild: changing the extention did work to atleast get my garbage video and sound to play, thanks. hopefully next time it will actually look like my movie :)

@dvdcat: thank you for your help, you are very helpful and if my pocketbook allowed i would buy your program. hopefully on my next check.

D

dvdcatalyst

ok so im making some progess, i did get video (if you want to call it that) and sound. however the video was very distorted and the sound was breaking up very badly. the setting im using are the ipod\iphone setting and then changing the resolution to i believe it was 720x400 (which was the dvd resolution) is there any other setting i should adjust. im very new to this, however i am catching on quickly (i think). and as always thanks for the help.

A few versions ago, Handbrake developers removed support for encrypted (as in bought/rented) DVDs, which is probably why the video is distorted and the audio is bad. Have a look on their website for some tips on how to get the commercial DVD's to work.

With Handbrake I do suggest to start with the default iPhone profile, without any changes, and at least try to get a working video on your Droid before making any changes. The files should work fine if you use this profile.

Secondly, before putting the video on your Droid, always try and play the file on your computer first. The files should play properly in Quicktime. If the file looks bad on the PC, it will not look any better on your Droid.

@dvdcat: thank you for your help, you are very helpful and if my pocketbook allowed i would buy your program. hopefully on my next check.

You are welcome. I do have a free version as well (different from the trial version), and while it does not have a Droid profile, or settings to adjust the screensize, it does have a profile for the iPhone that works on the Droid.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
+1 on dvdcatalyst... best software by far for conversion. but handbrake is pretty good for opensource freeware :icon_eek:

FireDroid

Reaction score
Where do you download once converted? I see a file for videos, is that where you guys are dragging and dropping?

OP
sackings245

sackings245

Reaction score
WOO HOO!!!! dvdcat for the win. the free version did the job great. i have the eris so i think the reslolution is a little smaller than the moto droid so the iphone spec worked great. when i get money i will definetly buy the full program.

EDIT: so after i was done being super excited that i actually got movies on my phone i did notice the sound is slightly off. its not bad, its just ever so slightly off however i was using the free version of DVDcat so honestly its doesnt bother me a bit.

FireDroid

Reaction score
After messing with handbrake and a few others for a couple hours, I went to DVDcatalyst and downloaded that software. All I can say is that it is EASY and works well. Ripped my first DVD ever and from the time it was done I had it on the phone in 5 mins! Looks great and sounds good!! Super happy with it! Worth every cent!!!!!