I'm sure your tired of seeing this....

alansupra94

Reaction score
In Handbrake just pick the iPhone profile, and you should be good to go.
(edit: at a lower resolution, but first create one working file and then start messing with the settings)

You can also rename the m4v file to mp4, which should also work.
m4v is just iTunes way of saying it's an Mp4 Video file :), (similar to it's way of using m4a for aac audio files.)

I just picked out a few threads, but if you do a search for Handbrake on these forums you will find more.

DVDcatalyst,

You are way to humble, your program is THE one to get..

DVD Catalyst 3 makes Converting Videos for the Droid so easy even a Caveman could do it.

All the rest of the programs are a waste of time IMHO.

I will let you know if I get it to work :rofl3:

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
Every time anyone has a problem with video, everyone here is really helpful. I've noticed though that DVD Catalyst is always the easiest solution. Alot of time would be saved if there was some kind of sticky at the outset of Audio/video threads that would just point people to the best programs to try first before posting a problem. So far DVD Catalyst has been the most problem free, with Handbrake at a close second. I'm not sure how they regulate stickys here but is this possible or even a good idea?

Vindii

Reaction score
ok so im making some progess, i did get video (if you want to call it that) and sound. however the video was very distorted and the sound was breaking up very badly. the setting im using are the ipod\iphone setting and then changing the resolution to i believe it was 720x400 (which was the dvd resolution) is there any other setting i should adjust. im very new to this, however i am catching on quickly (i think). and as always thanks for the help.

A few versions ago, Handbrake developers removed support for encrypted (as in bought/rented) DVDs, which is probably why the video is distorted and the audio is bad. Have a look on their website for some tips on how to get the commercial DVD's to work.

With Handbrake I do suggest to start with the default iPhone profile, without any changes, and at least try to get a working video on your Droid before making any changes. The files should work fine if you use this profile.

Secondly, before putting the video on your Droid, always try and play the file on your computer first. The files should play properly in Quicktime. If the file looks bad on the PC, it will not look any better on your Droid.

@dvdcat: thank you for your help, you are very helpful and if my pocketbook allowed i would buy your program. hopefully on my next check.

You are welcome. I do have a free version as well (different from the trial version), and while it does not have a Droid profile, or settings to adjust the screensize, it does have a profile for the iPhone that works on the Droid.

Can DVDcatalyst convert a 1080P blu-ray rip with .flac audio in a .MKV to a format that the droid can play? I tries handbrake and couldn't get the resulting file to play on my droid.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every time anyone has a problem with video, everyone here is really helpful. I've noticed though that DVD Catalyst is always the easiest solution. Alot of time would be saved if there was some kind of sticky at the outset of Audio/video threads that would just point people to the best programs to try first before posting a problem. So far DVD Catalyst has been the most problem free, with Handbrake at a close second. I'm not sure how they regulate stickys here but is this possible or even a good idea?

PM an admin if you want, but i'm not certain what our policy is about promoting a certain paid program over another. it likely won't be addressed in that way. then again, anyone that searches handbrake in this forum will, more often than not, run across the dvdcatalyst program and the rave reviews you guys are giving it.. so you are doing a good job of plugging it anyway. ;) and i agree, it rocks.

D

dvdcatalyst

Can DVDcatalyst convert a 1080P blu-ray rip with .flac audio in a .MKV to a format that the droid can play? I tries handbrake and couldn't get the resulting file to play on my droid.

No idea :)
MKV bluray rips are not a problem, but I never ran into one that has FLAC audio.
I did convert some sample files a while ago that did have flac audio, so I don't see a reason why it would not work. Just drag the file on the trial and give it a shot.

D

dvdcatalyst

PM an admin if you want, but i'm not certain what our policy is about promoting a certain paid program over another. it likely won't be addressed in that way. then again, anyone that searches handbrake in this forum will, more often than not, run across the dvdcatalyst program and the rave reviews you guys are giving it.. so you are doing a good job of plugging it anyway. ;) and i agree, it rocks.

Thank you :)

While a sticky would be cool, I have to agree with Sam. Promotion of a commercial program on a public forum is not something many people would agree with, including me.

However, what I would suggest is that someone would write up a video conversion guide for the Droid and explain the process using a few different programs (Handbrake, Total Video Converter, Super etc.), so people can make their own decision.

A Poll for what conversion utilities are used would also be an interesting idea.

whiddles

Reaction score
nothing puts info out better than poll results. my question is what video player are people using to play DVDs on the droid?

sal33n

Reaction score
Since the Droid and ipod use the same native mp4 format, Videora is great for converting dvds and its free and has a good guide with links to dvd decrypter. I have converter quite a few dvds that all play on my PSP, Pocketpc, Droid, Daughters MP3 player, home dvd players and of course my wife's ipod.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I downloaded handbrake and I'm currently converting the hangover unrated m4v torrent which is like 300 something megabytes long. it is encoding through the cmd windows screen(is it supposed to do it like this?? also I'm converting it to hq whatever which I heard takes longer than that other format and its taking like an hour and 45 minutes do download. IS THAT NORMAL?? is it faster if you convert it from an actual dvd rather that a file from the internet?

BiGJaYDROID

Reaction score
I once again would have to say DVD Cat is the way to go.. i have used it for all my movies to get to and from my droid, ps3, even my mother and laws lg env2. DVD Cat also runs on multiple cores so if your running a dual core or multi core machine it will run faster and def faster than from the internet well worth the $9.95...:rating10:

Shooshi

Reaction score
I downloaded handbrake and I'm currently converting the hangover unrated m4v torrent which is like 300 something megabytes long. it is encoding through the cmd windows screen(is it supposed to do it like this?? also I'm converting it to hq whatever which I heard takes longer than that other format and its taking like an hour and 45 minutes do download. IS THAT NORMAL?? is it faster if you convert it from an actual dvd rather that a file from the internet?

I converted the hangover unrated 720p (4.5gb file) into an mp4 (1500bitrate) which came about to be about 1.3gb. That took me about an hour and 50 minutes using dvdcatalyst.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hangover 300MB M4V might already play on the Droid out of the box. It sounds like its a low-quality iPod optimized file. Just rename the extention to .mp4

The conversion of a file like this should be considerably faster, but converting an already optimized file to a different format will not do any good to the quality.

jman09

Reaction score
Has anyone converted their iTunes Movies to play on the Droid? I searched google and didn't get much. I tried using Handbrake but it closes the program when it starts. But the DVDs I have previously ripped for my iPod Touch work on the Droid.

And I use a MacBook. I have a Windows partition on here running XP but not much space to convert many Movies. I think I only have 10GB left, its mainly for school programs.

D

dvdcatalyst

Has anyone converted their iTunes Movies to play on the Droid? I searched google and didn't get much. I tried using Handbrake but it closes the program when it starts. But the DVDs I have previously ripped for my iPod Touch work on the Droid.

And I use a MacBook. I have a Windows partition on here running XP but not much space to convert many Movies. I think I only have 10GB left, its mainly for school programs.

iTunes purchased content is protected, and can not be converted unless you use something like a screen-recording tool.

do a search on these forums for "Digital Copy" (with the quotes, and enable the show posts checkmark) which is basically the same.