If you HAD to upgrade today, which direction would you go?

Card

Reaction score
Ok, here's the scenario. My D1 is finally giving up the ghost. The digitizer (I assume) has gone haywire. The screen is bouncing all over the place, randomly detecting touches on the screen, and the right 25% of the screen is entirely functionless (visually it looks fine, it just won't register any touch feedback). The problem is still mostly sporadic, and works fine apart from the right quarter or the screen not functioning about 15 minutes out of every hour.

Now, here's where my issue is. I can't deal with my phone doing this. My cell phone is my primary form of communication, and I need it to stay in touch with various folks. But I have another problem. My "New Every 2" with Verizon comes up on July 7th. I was planning to upgrade a couple days early in the hopes that one of their newest devices would be released before the tiered data plans start. (Let's not start another debate over who is and is not grandfathered in at this point, as it's moot to me as I need to get a new phone ASAP).

So here's a little bit more about my particular situation. I live in a metro area, and 4G coverage is actually quite good as long as I don't venture too far out of the city. A physical keyboard is a HUGE plus for me. It isn't really a deal-breaker, but it would surely be swell. The only other thing is that the battery needs to last at least 12 hours on a charge. During that 12 hours, it doesn't get used much at all. Seriously, maybe an hour of use out of that entire time.

If you were in need of a new phone on Verizon's network, and would be purchasing one tomorrow morning, what would it be? What's the best, most awesome, jaw-dropping, muscle-packing phone I can get? And if it isn't too much trouble, tell me why I should choose whichever phone you're picking.

As always, thanks DF!

OP
Card

Card

Reaction score
And in case it helps any, the phones I've looked the closest at so far are the Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, and Incredible 2. I see the commercials for the LG Revolution, but I know very little about it apart from it being an LTE device.

bigdad63

Reaction score
If you're not doing any gaming, I would probably get the Charge for the beautiful screen and 4g. The bloat and smoothness problems seem to be worked out and the battery life is supposed to be pretty good (especially if you're only using it an hour over half a day).

OP
Card

Card

Reaction score
I do a little bit of gaming, and completely forgot about the Sony Xperia Play. I guess the hardware seemed a bit underwhelming when it came out and it just dropped off my radar. But I suppose it would be worth throwing in the mix.

bigdad63

Reaction score
Casual things would be fine, but graphic heavy fast action things run better on a dual core. I noticed it immediately for the short time I had the X2.

OP
Card

Card

Reaction score
Good call. Yeah, the most graphically-intensive games I run are probably my emulators, and Angry Birds, Haha.

It's a shame there's no dual-core 4G device with a keyboard out right now!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think the charge will work best for you. 4g, longer battery life which should definitely make it 12 hours, will be able to play angry birds far better than your droid 1 and it has an excellent display. It also has swype keyboard which you will find you love more than the physical keyboard (I had the droid1 and thought I needed a physical keyboard but am now using swype and will never go back to physical keyboard). Thunderbolt had very dirty battery life. Incredible2 will also work will for you but no 4g.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Droid noob

Reaction score
Don't know much about the charge, but debated between the bolt and Dinc2. After playing around with the two I went with the Dinc2. Reasons:
I compared the speed of 3g 4g and the difference want much at all from a browsing standpoint.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the battery life on the bolt. Have heard ppl keep 4g off most the time to save battery.

Bolt has reboot issues reading these forums

Bolt has bigger development community if your into rooting

IMO, I love htc sense that both the bolt and Dinc2 have!

Also really didn't like the charge physical buttons. They appeared big and cheap.

Dinc2= no 4g

That's all I can think of. I am biased toward the Dinc2 because I own one lol and have had zero problems and great battery life out of the box

Sent 2 u via Incredible 2

Pmoser

Reaction score
Thunderbolt. If your into rooting the Dev community is amazing

Sent from my rooted Droid Increidble

dark juggalo

Reaction score
a rooted TB w/a gingerbread rom seems to be working well,I'm seeing improvements in the batt and no reboots..keep in mind that not all TBs were created equal and some seem to be working w/diff combos better than others.
I added a gingerbread keyboard to the TB and liked it so much I also use it on the droid 1 instead of the physical keyboard.

OP
Card

Card

Reaction score
Thanks for the good discussion points. I guess what I'm going to really need to do is just go to the Verizon store tomorrow and check them all out side by side.

I'm feeling so torn right now, as the Tbolt has had so many issues with their users, the Charge looks and feels like a plastic toy, and the X2 has the awful PenTile screen. I've got no hands-on experience with the Xperia Play or the Incredible 2, but neither are LTE-capable, which is a little bit of a downer. Haha, I think I just need to lower my expectations all around.

Pmoser

Reaction score
Get the bolt if you can root and flash roms it makes the phone near perfect

Droid noob

Reaction score
The Dinc2 is the bolt with slightly smaller screen and no 4g. I am the kinda person who has to have the latest and greatest, but I decided to wait for the4 g lte to become more stable and prominent. It helps, the only heavy use my phone gets is at home with WiFi anyway lol

Sent 2 u via Incredible 2

OP
Card

Card

Reaction score
Rooting the phone and flashing new ROMs is definitely fun, and apparently required to get rid of the gobs of bloatware being put on the newer Android models, but above that, I want a phone that works well out of the box. I didn't root my D1 for about 6 months, and didn't flash a new ROM for another 2 or 3 months after that. So, ease of modification is a neat bonus, but not a strict requirement.

Pmoser

Reaction score
Thenget an iPhone :) okay I joke