If "Rooting" is so good..

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Stock Original Droid 2.2 runs at 800Mhz - A Rooted Original Droid can be safely Overclocked to 1.25Ghz - This is much faster :happy:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
link 4 in my sig will help u learn more about overclocking

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Biggest reason is if Verizon had to deal with supporting people running every ROM out there, it would be a nightmare. By enforcing one software version, it makes life much easier in the call center. Plus, it doesn't pay to ship a device with a huge security hole in it. If devices were shipped pre-rooted, it would only be a matter of time before hackers started exploiting it.

harrellj

Reaction score
Biggest reason is if Verizon had to deal with supporting people running every ROM out there, it would be a nightmare. By enforcing one software version, it makes life much easier in the call center. Plus, it doesn't pay to ship a device with a huge security hole in it. If devices were shipped pre-rooted, it would only be a matter of time before hackers started exploiting it.

To go along with that, to give an idea of the number of ROMs available for our phones Tweetdeck released a graphic showing all the OS versions that ran their beta software: Tweetdeck Releases User Statistics, DROID 2 Global and Olympus Make Appearances - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog The list isn't exactly what anybody would call small.

Also, why root? Because I can. Because I'm a geek confident in my own ability to follow someone's directions to achieve the same result. Because I researched enough to know that if I screwed up, as long as my phone has power and can connect to my computer, I can throw the stock .sbf file onto it and start all over again.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
If "Rooting" makes your phone so much "better", then why doesn't Verizon sell their phones "pre-rooted"? I mean, if it was so great, think how much more successful the Droid and Verizon would be with "pre-rooted" phones. I just don't get it.. What am I missing??
You're operating under several flawed assumptions. Verizon isn't in the business of looking out for the best interests of it customers. Like any corporation, it's there to make money and to answer to its shareholders. The majority of consumers will never understand or benefit from rooting. Power users and enthusiasts -- the types that frequent these forums -- will. If the masses can't see the benefit to rooting then it's not going to be a sales point for Verizon (or any carrier or OEM).

Root isn't inherently "better". Rooting is better if you stand to benefit from it. It does make many things possible but simply rooting your device isn't going to make it spout rainbows and unicorns. Definitely read the stickies and other guides out there on rooting as it sounds like you're really not familiar with it at all.

Last edited:

elcompaLalo

Reaction score
^
A good explanation for any newb (like me), although I saw the benfits rather quickly. For me, rooting is the highest level of customizing you can achieve.

Sent from Droid2

jrl9851

Reaction score
I'm glad they don't come "pre-rooted" because I LOVE rooting my phone and messing with it in every way possible. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.