If "Rooting" is so good..

Crispy

Reaction score
If "Rooting" makes your phone so much "better", then why doesn't Verizon sell their phones "pre-rooted"? I mean, if it was so great, think how much more successful the Droid and Verizon would be with "pre-rooted" phones. I just don't get it.. What am I missing??

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
cuz rooting lets you do things like tethering for free and verizon wants to make money off things like that...cant blame them, i would to

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
and u can do a lot of harm to ur phone with administrative privileges.

deleting system files for example...

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
In addition to what the others have replied, VZW is notorious for locking down their phones.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
A rooted phone is much more vulnerable to attack, not that anyone will really attack Android phones because 99.5% of them aren't rooted and Linux is almost impossible to do anything to/with without root access.

dbu

Reaction score
So why root your phone????

Because you can do whatever you want with it. Change roms, kernel, theme, tether for free, underclock to save battery, overclock if you want performance, the list goes on and on...

Use the search function

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So why root your phone????

Because you can do whatever you want with it. Change roms, kernel, theme, tether for free, underclock to save battery, overclock if you want performance, the list goes on and on...

Use the search function

Because i can and i want to. Also to get things I’m not supposed to have. O and its MY PHONE not Verizons. :biggrin: Enough said.

jaben2

Reaction score
Because why not.
Or maybe why bother.
Or maybe just make your own decision, and even have the option to do it.
I just rooted the 2.2, and installed my first rom. Definitely a fun thing to do. It is fun to be able to mess around with something that you own.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I rooted my phone because I had to have WiFi tethering and Verizon never offered a WiFi tethering program for the Droid 1. That's why.

Now I'm running a 1.1GHz Ultra-Low Voltage kernel that actually gives me better battery life than the stock one did under 2.1 (which came on the phone back in May), a custom ROM that gives me so many options I don't use most of, more speed, and a power control widget that lets me turn on and off almost every single possible aspect of my phone without having to muck around in the settings. As soon as the ROM dev makes the latest changes final I'm going to theme it because I'm sick of looking at those little gray images that look like someone had too much time in a board meeting and a #2 pencil.

I can do anything I want with my phone -- including making phone calls -- whereas before I had to do clunky workarounds if one was even available.

OP
C

Crispy

Reaction score
Unless it's gonna make my phone faster (because IT IS SLOW.. Internet especially.. Wi-Fi, 3g, doesn't matter) then I guess I won't bother. Original Droid.