Tell Me Why to Switch From Palm Pre to Droid

General_Lee86

Reaction score
You should switch to Droid for one reason and one reason only and that is because I said so!:icon_ devil::icon_ banana:

natty_lite

Reaction score
Keep your Pre. Its so intuitive and small. At least that's what I read on precentral when they're trying to come up with reasons why anyone will choose that phone over others.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
In order to have Engadget's "gadget of the year", "mobile phone of the year" and "navigation device of the year."
Plus it's a wicked awesome display.

x25064

Reaction score
It is my understanding that palmOS is not going to be upgraded or modified, meaning what you have is what you have.

That alone is reason enough to switch to the ever growing android community.

OP
sweaner

sweaner

Reaction score
It is my understanding that palmOS is not going to be upgraded or modified, meaning what you have is what you have.

That is not true, as it has been updated. In fact, an update is coming soon.

I asked this same question on a Pre board, and was blasted. They said you guys would be worse, but you have offered valuable advice.

Tell Me Why I should Keep My Pre - PreCentral Forums

crspang

Reaction score
I don't mean to bemoan anyone's sexuality but the pre looks sissyish to me, however I do understand the need for functionality. It took me a while to get used to the way android is set up but once I did everything works smooth.

caboyzcoti

Reaction score
sorry to go off topic but i noticed some nice multitouch gestures when using the pre plus in verizon the other day, does anyone know of any apps that use more then just pinch to zoom on droid? or the gestures on some of the apps that already have it that i may not be aware of like the MT browser, media gallery, maps? oh and the need for speed game on the pre plus was stunning any chance of that coming to droid? ima go look in the store now

natty_lite

Reaction score
I am new to the smart phone arena, having just started with a Pre Plus. I picked the Palm as I still use a Palm PDA and was hoping to get everything on one unit. After 2 weeks, while I like the Pre, I am thinking of making a switch. Why? The biggest reason is the notification options. I use the phone as a pager keep it on vibration. The Pre has a very weak vibe motor, and is really not at all configurable.

How is the Droid in this regard? I did download Smart Vibrator onto the Verizon demo phone at the store, and it seems it may help. Will the Droid send a reminder every 2 minutes when a new message is received? I needed a patch for the Pre for this function. Thanks!

Scott
Wow, those dudes are pretty rabid. I guess every community has their fair share of "those" type of dudes.

To give you a better answer to your question, the Android API allows access to the vibrator and LEDs. For example, many 3rd party messaging apps allow you to customize how long or short, or often the vibrator pattern is, and even allows you to customize the color.

The Droid is just a more useful device at this point, IMO. Unless there is a specific need from the Pre that the Android OS either doesn't have-or has, but doesn't do well, I have a hard time finding any tangible reason to choose that device over the Droid, or the upcoming N1.

asmallchild

Reaction score

benhar

Reaction score
My wife and I got Pre's a few weeks ago. I ended up exchanging mine for a Droid, for some of the same reasons you mentioned, and I haven't looked back! The Pre was a good phone and webOS is slick, but the hardware wasn't enough for me. It was laggy, and I was about guaranteed to miss a call or message when it was on vibrate. Plus the danged thing was so small it kept wanting to escape my hand.

To answer your question, the Droid's vibrate is MUCH better. I found myself making too many excuses, work-arounds, and compromises with the Pre. I'm much happier with the Droid, it's a great all-round phone.

OP
sweaner

sweaner

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advice. Funny, the members at the Pre forum said you guys would kill me, but clearly vice versa. Maybe they are insulted that I would think about leaving the Pre. Gosh, it is just a phone!