I love this gorilla glass

sublimewade

Reaction score
This screen is totally beautiful. It cleans up really easy. The resolution is a different story. But how strong do you all think the glass really is when it comes to dropping it on concrete. I know that it will break but I'm talking about scrapes and scratches. I have an otterbox. But I think I'm going to take it back it hidess the beauty of the phone
Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JKZ

Reaction score
I dropped my original droid at least 5 times on concrete. The corners of the phone got banged up but the screen looked brand new. I never had a screen protector on it. In my experience, gorilla glass has been awesome.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
S

sublimewade

Reaction score
But original droids had plastic screens right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JKZ

Reaction score
I guess I'm not sure. I always thought it was gorilla glass but I guess I could be wrong. Whatever it was made of, it impressed me.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

droidshot®

Reaction score
The original Droid had gorilla glass and so does that Droid X. I have the Razr and I can tell you that concrete won't scratch it but if dropped wrong it will shatter. You can also go on YouTube and just put in gorilla glass tests and see all kinds of demonstrations on how scratch proof it is. I took a key to mine in the Verizon store to show the guy why I didn't need a screen protector.

snosamie6

Reaction score
I scratched my OG, but that was because I was trying to... I wanted to see where it fell on Moh's hardness scale and I only did it in a corner. I had a hard time getting quartz (6) to scratch it but my tungsten carbide (8.5ish) scribe did it no problem, of course! It would be rare to encounter anything, especially keys in your pocket, that could do any damage.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I scratched my OG, but that was because I was trying to... I wanted to see where it fell on Moh's hardness scale and I only did it in a corner. I had a hard time getting quartz (6) to scratch it but my tungsten carbide (8.5ish) scribe did it no problem, of course! It would be rare to encounter anything, especially keys in your pocket, that could do any damage.

Just a warning to you and others...even dirt on your finger can scratch the screen. It only has to be something that is abrasive and hard enough to cut through the first layer of the Gorilla Glass. Since the extra hardness coating (doping) is relatively thin, once the coating has been breeched, the glass below will continue to scratch. I have scratched my Droid 2 screen in 3 places and all were due to having sediment from the ground (mainly dirt) on my finger when I used it. I even wiped my finger off before using the phone, but there was still enough in the fingerprint grooves of my finger to cause the scratching.

Also, a screen wipe with something that has any abrasive on it could cause scratching. Believe it or not, paper towels can contain highly abrasive particles and should NEVER be used to wipe any glass or highly polished metal surface. Even a microfiber screen wipe could cause damage if it contains any sediment that was collected from something else it has wiped off. To be 99% sure, keep only one washable eyeglass wiping cloth for the phone only, and wash it frequently. To be 100% sure, use disposable eyeglass wipes. Also, wipe once across the entire screen with a very light pressure (to remove any possible deposited abrasive particulates), then turn the cloth or wipe over and use the clean side to do the final cleaning with normal pressure.

Things such as keys and most other objects carried in a pocket are not hard enough (Moh's scale) to impart damage to the doped layer of the Gorilla Glass. This means, if you're careful what you actually rub against the glass on your finger, you'll probably do no harm to the glass in your pocket. The case is another matter. The metal exterior is subject to scratching (except for the Kevlar), so unless you don't mind your pristine frame around the phone being less than beautiful in a few weeks, I strongly suggest you avoid carrying the phone in the same pocket with any items such as keys.

Last edited:

snosamie6

Reaction score
Just a warning to you and others...even dirt on your finger can scratch the screen. It only has to be something that is abrasive and hard enough to cut through the first layer of the Gorilla Glass. Since the extra hardness coating (doping) is relatively thin, once the coating has been breeched, the glass below will continue to scratch. I have scratched my Droid 2 screen in 3 places and all were due to having sediment from the ground (mainly dirt) on my finger when I used it. I even wiped my finger off before using the phone, but there was still enough in the fingerprint grooves of my finger to cause the scratching.

Also, a screen wipe with something that has any abrasive on it could cause scratching. Believe it or not, paper towels can contain highly abrasive particles and should NEVER be used to wipe any glass or highly polished metal surface. Even a microfiber screen wipe could cause damage if it contains any sediment that was collected from something else it has wiped off. To be 99% sure, keep only one washable eyeglass wiping cloth for the phone only, and wash it frequently. To be 100% sure, use disposable eyeglass wipes. Also, wipe once across the entire screen with a very light pressure (to remove any possible deposited abrasive particulates), then turn the cloth or wipe over and use the clean side to do the final cleaning with normal pressure.

Things such as keys and most other objects carried in a pocket are not hard enough (Moh's scale) to impart damage to the doped layer of the Gorilla Glass. This means, if you're careful what you actually rub against the glass on your finger, you'll probably do no harm to the glass in your pocket. The case is another matter. The metal exterior is subject to scratching (except for the Kevlar), so unless you don't mind your pristine frame around the phone being less than beautiful in a few weeks, I strongly suggest you avoid carrying the phone in the same pocket with any items such as keys.

It all depends on where you live, how unlucky you are and what substances you might encounter from time to time. 2 years, traveling to a 1/4th of the country (as a geologist, often getting dirty and shoving rocks in my pockets) never allowed for any serious scratches that would be visible when using the screen. Just make sure you aren't playing with diamond paste before using your phone, or a few other expensive materials and everyone should be fine. It isn't easy to come across anything harder than 6.

zman2904

Reaction score
Gorilla Glass has been great on my OG droid and my Droid X, many a heart stopping drop, but never a scratch on the screen. I've had sides nicked up, but the screens have never shown any sign of damage....Unfortunatly, I can't say the same for the RAZR. It fell off my nightstand yesterday, small scratch on the top corner of frame, and a LARGE crack from about 6mm in on top, down to about the middle of the left side. Phone still works with no issues, touchscreen is fine, just a HUGE crack. Needless to say, i am not happy(and of course, because of how solid my past two have been, I choose not to get insurance because the RAZR is billed as their strongest phone yet!) luckily, i have another upgrade available on my family plan, but i am not sure i want another RAZR, if i do go that way, i will be getting a case for it!

If any Dev's out there are interested in getting a pretty good deal on a fully functional Droid Razr, PM me, i'd like to lower my replacement cost as much as I possibly can....