Gorilla glass my my

SallyC

Reaction score
so is it worth buying a protective case if I get the razr then?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Depends on your use and risk comfort level. I think it's worth it. I prefer my Steinheil Ultra Fine screen protector to a bare screen. No glare and fingerprint resistant. But to each his own.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think I'll take a random $800 piece of technology today and drop it. Then complain on a forum for the item when it is no longer like brand new...............

Just sayin.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
What I think is funny is that before my Nexus, my gf and I were both rocking OG Droids. At one point in time I was walking out of my apartment with the phone on my shoulder talking, and it fell, and landed face-down on the concrete. I cringed picking it up. To my surprise, the screen was completely unscathed, but the metal around it had scruff marks. "Ha! Imagine that! The glass is fine and the metal got tore up!" I thought. Fast forward some months later, my gf is sitting out on the balcony with the phone in her lap; the phone slips off her leg, falling a few inches maybe? Big crack from top to bottom.

Gorilla glass isn't a gimmick - it's glass. Even bullet proof glass can be broken, which this certainly is not. It's meant to withstand scratches, not falls to the ground or being run over. If it does make it through situations like these, consider yourself lucky.

OP
K

kyfa25

Reaction score
I think I'll take a random $800 piece of technology today and drop it. Then complain on a forum for the item when it is no longer like brand new...............

Just sayin.

sure why not... have you seen the commercials? state of the art gorilla glass.. made to withstand a bullet... haha.. its all good dude.. im not really complainin.. I was ranting to fellow users.. I dont take it that seriously.. and besides.. im still not rocking any protective gear.. If I drop it and it breaks.. Il just call in an insurance claim and say it was lost or stolen and get another one.. I was just merely ranting.. I love my phone, and could care less if it had gorilla glass or not.. its glass at the end of the day..

OP
K

kyfa25

Reaction score
so is it worth buying a protective case if I get the razr then?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

some folks buy protective cases or lenses for their phones.. I personally wont.. I like the sleek slippery feel of a raw device.. and if i drop and break it.. i'll just get a replacement.. some folks have different preferences..

Kimo91

Reaction score
I have a screen protector on my phone to help avoid scratches and such gorilla glass or not. Just been this way no matter what phone I owned at the time

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto DROID Razr

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
With a family to provide for and even my pocket change spoken for... I protect my gear with otterboxes and screen protectors...
I'll admit, the Razr gear from Otterbox is the sleekest yet and even teeters on the sexy...side!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
sure why not... have you seen the commercials? state of the art gorilla glass.. made to withstand a bullet... haha.. its all good dude.. im not really complainin.. I was ranting to fellow users.. I dont take it that seriously.. and besides.. im still not rocking any protective gear.. If I drop it and it breaks.. Il just call in an insurance claim and say it was lost or stolen and get another one.. I was just merely ranting.. I love my phone, and could care less if it had gorilla glass or not.. its glass at the end of the day..

Cool. :) Just found it funny that you dropped it, and then were upset it was no longer perfect. I dropped mine (started a thread) and reported that my left top corner got a crease in it. Such is the way of things when you drop them.

However, I now have a silicon case and screen protector on it.

impostor71

Reaction score
I order a SGP screen protector for my Razr today. I used SGP screen protectors on my Droid X previously and really like their quality and clarity. Plus there's no adhesive involved.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
It is a selling point though. Its better then regular glass don't you agree?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Not really because it is actually weaker than normal glass if hit on certain angles. It is very easy to crack by dropping on a corner or putting to much pressure on it.

Gorilla glass has a bad habit of cracking in peoples' pockets.

Lukeb5301

Reaction score
Ha! Dropped my OG Droid hundreds on times without a crack or scratch... Dropped my RAZR on day #3(sitting on my lap when getting out of truck, and boom) Cracked corner of screen in 2 places...

Sucks, but thats what you get for being careless I guess... I'll deal with it until I break it more and make an insurance claim..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not really because it is actually weaker than normal glass if hit on certain angles. It is very easy to crack by dropping on a corner or putting to much pressure on it.

Gorilla glass has a bad habit of cracking in peoples' pockets.

What proof do you have that Gorilla Glass is "actually weaker than normal glass..."? What separates Gorilla Glass from "normal glass" as you put it, is primarily only microns deep on the glass surface. The rest of the glass from where the surface alterations stop to where they start again on the other side is "normal glass". Enhancing the strength of the surface by essentially filling in the microscopic imperfections on the surface actually makes the glass LESS succeptible to cracking since cracks are a result of stress in combination with existing imperfections on the glass surfaces.

What may contribute to the Gorilla Glass cracking on drops is that it's generally thinner than comparable cell phone front glass. This was a trade-off to obtain both a thinner profile and yet retain comparable and measurably enhanced strength and scratch resistance. ANY glass, when dropped on an edge can crack with a seemingly short fall, and yet may survive unscathed from a farther fall. It all depends on WHERE it's hit (i.e. is it near a surface imperfection), how much stress it's already under (i.e. is the bezel bent or deformed causing the glass to be slightly twisted or bent), whether there already microscopic cracks from earlier falls that are invisible to the naked eye, the temperature of the glass and whether it's just moved from a warm to cold state or vice versa, and a myriad of other potential catalysts.

To make a blanket statement that Gorilla Glass is weaker than normal glass is unfounded and entirely misleading, especially since you are basing your evaluation and conclusion on a very limited set of complaints read on this and other forums, coupled perhaps with your own experience. Do a true clinical evaluation of "normal glass" against Gorilla Glass and come back with your findings. I am sure that Corning has already done that and with the laws of truth in advertising are making claims of added strength and scratch resistance that they can back up with clinical proof.

See Corning at SID: Corning® Gorilla® Glass Bend Test - YouTube
and Corning at SID: Corning® Gorilla® Glass Scratch Test - YouTube
and Corning® Gorilla® Glass Ball Drop Test - YouTube
and Fun with Gorilla Glass - YouTube (really cool live demo) for more information.

As for the "bad habit of cracking in peoples' pockets", the overall thinness of the phone, coupled with the larger overall length and width make it MORE succeptible to flexing. The internal Stainless Steel frame, and the multi-layer laminate structure of the phone was designed to combat this overriding characteristic. However, again if glass, essentially ANY glass is bent beyond its breaking point, it will fail. By carrying these phones in pockets and being perhaps lulled by the advertisements into believing the glass is indestructible coupled with the physical design and dimensions of the phone and the exceptionally thin profile of the glass lends itself to being "in the wrong place at the wrong time" perhaps more often than other phones. Also the fact that other phones are generally less flexible due to their thicker profile and even in many case shorter stance, means they are less likely to flex beyond the point of the glass breaking - normal glass or not. Take the RAZR and put "normal glass" on its front and I assure you it will fail far sooner and with less stresses than we're already placing these phones under.

Last edited:

llll1lll1

Reaction score
Even aluminium oxynitride cracks and scratches...however it can stop a bullet. Who's going to be the first to shoot their phone?