Gorilla glass my my

kyfa25

Reaction score
Ok had my first drop... ofcourse it landed butter side down and scratched the glass.. happier than a pink pony... luckly its not horrible ... but yeah.. gorilla glass is a sales gimmick ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
K

kyfa25

Reaction score
Good point. But cant i get a first time drop get out of jail free card? Haha.. oh well.. its nit horrible...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok had my first drop... ofcourse it landed butter side down and scratched the glass.. happier than a pink pony... luckly its not horrible ... but yeah.. gorilla glass is a sales gimmick ...

No, it's not a sales gimmick... Read on.

From Corning's website;

" WHAT MAKES GORILLA GLASS SO DAMAGE RESISTANT? The unique composition of Gorilla Glass allows for a deep layer of high compressive stress (created through an ion-exchange process). This compression acts as a sort of "armor",making the glass exceptionally tough and damage resistant.

CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE ION-EXCHANGE PROCESS? Ion exchange is a chemical strengthening process where large ions are "stuffed" into the glass surface, creating a state of compression. Gorilla Glass is specially designed to maximize this behavior.

The glass is placed in a hot bath of molten salt at a temperature of approximately 400°C. Smaller sodium ions leave the glass, and larger potassium ions from the salt bath replace them. These larger ions take up more room and are pressed together when the glass cools, producing a layer of compressive stress on the surface of the glass. Gorilla Glass's special composition enables the potassium ions to diffuse far into the surface, creating high compressive stress deep into the glass. This layer of compression creates a surface that is more resistant to damage from everyday use."

You may notice they mention the word "surface" several times in the FAQ. NOWHERE does it say it is shatter-proof [or scratch-proof]. It does make it more resistive to cracking from flex due to its more uniform compressive surfaces which leaves the surface with less places for cracks to start from, but again, if flexed beyond the limits of its design, it will break. Also as mentioned by others, temperatures - and especially temperature shock (sudden or rapid change from cold to hot or vice versa) can help to push the glass's engineered stress higher, effectively temporarily reducing its ability to resist impact and flex failures.

Anything that is harder is also generally more brittle, whereas flexibility comes with softer materials. Perhaps a good analogy would be Concrete and Steel. Concrete is very stiff and strong but also brittle and susceptible to cracking. Steel is flexible and resistant to cracking. The two when formed into one common structure as its done in Steel-reinforced Concrete, enhance each others' beneficial properties and reduce their undesirable ones.

OP
K

kyfa25

Reaction score
I like how i got rewerded by the moderator.. pink pony? Lol too funny. As for the gorilla glass "surface" its allot of manipulative fabrication techniques to appear as tho its more durable than just glass that doesnt scratch.. big deal ur keys dont scratch the screen ... my blackberry's screen didnt have gorilla glass and it never scratched.. i also dropped it more times than i can remember ... anywho. I digress... i still feel as tho its a marketing ploy to send a false sense of durability to the consumor .... thats just my take

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I like how i got rewerded by the moderator.. pink pony? Lol too funny.

Lol, I thought you actually wrote that yourself.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
At this moment there is no known glass like material that can't be scratched or shattered, unless some aliens are willing to share some of their knowledge this is the best we got. I don't know what you are expecting from a sheet of glass 0.02" thick, I think it's damn good, certainly a huge leap from the smartphones we had just 3 years ago

BB8310-Front.jpg

HU35211.JPG

ddfuji

Reaction score
I like how i got rewerded by the moderator.. pink pony? Lol too funny. As for the gorilla glass "surface" its allot of manipulative fabrication techniques to appear as tho its more durable than just glass that doesnt scratch.. big deal ur keys dont scratch the screen ... my blackberry's screen didnt have gorilla glass and it never scratched.. i also dropped it more times than i can remember ... anywho. I digress... i still feel as tho its a marketing ploy to send a false sense of durability to the consumor .... thats just my take

Or a lucky drop...

OP
K

kyfa25

Reaction score
Im not expecting much to be honest. But if you watch the commercials they really emphasise on the gorilla glass as its some sort of selling point. Its really nothing special is my point...

ddfuji

Reaction score
Im not expecting much to be honest. But if you watch the commercials they really emphasise on the gorilla glass as its some sort of selling point. Its really nothing special is my point...

It is a selling point though. Its better then regular glass don't you agree?

OP
K

kyfa25

Reaction score
Foxcat.. haha yeh the moderator sent me a pm for my use of a word. So they kindly reworded it for me ...

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant like all other glass.

It can handle high pressure meaning if you sit on it or press it against something it will hold. The larger the surface area that the pressure covers the better.

However high pressure does mean it can handle impacts. It can handle pressure applied slowly like most materials but pressure applied quickly(like a fall) will cause too much stress and cause breakage.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

OP
K

kyfa25

Reaction score
Ddfuji... im not sure yet if i agree that it's better... ive only had the device for less than a week. And i treat it like its made of egg shells.. il check back with you in a month or so when i start chucking it arround. At the moment, if its in my pocket, its in there alone

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
What I find funny is that Gorilla glass has been around for a while in a number of different phones. But all of a sudden they have to advertise it like its a new breakthrough for the razr. I think gorilla glass is great but I don't think its the thing that a going to save my phone when I drop it. (That's what the Otterbox is for!) ;)

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
so is it worth buying a protective case if I get the razr then?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk