Are Screen Protectors Really Needed? (On Gorilla Glass)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I was at a cell phone store the other day and overheard two different sales reps trying hard to sell screen protectors to customers buying new phones. One couple looked scared to death as the rep described all kinds of doomsday scenarios that would scratch their shiny new screen. Really? Gorilla Glass 4 or 5 is some pretty hard stuff and unless you are carrying diamond tip drill bits in your pocket with your phone you are probably never going to scratch modern Gorilla Glass. Sure Gorilla Glass can crack & shatter fairly easy if you drop your phone, but does a screen protector keep glass from cracking? I doubt it. It might help keep pieces together if the screen shatters but I don't see how it will prevent the screen from cracking if dropped hard enough. When I bought new phones recently, the sales reps tried hard to make me buy screen protectors and they were persistent. I eventually convinced them that I was not going to buy any. All of this made me wonder, with modern Gorilla Glass are screen protectors really needed? If so, why? Do you use them, and if so, why?

I personally have not used a screen protector on any Gorilla Glass screen phone in many years, many different phone models, and have never seen one tiny little scratch.

I am not talking about Motorola's Shattershield screens, so please don't post about those. Those are not Gorilla Glass and those do require a screen protector since the outer layer (the lens) is very soft and will scratch very easily.

Share your thoughts.

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
there is a perception of protection with screen protectors but as far as being needed - nope. Gorilla Glass 4 is actually harder than temper glass.

My note 8 has gorilla glass 5. I don't use any screen protection. I gave it a serious thought when I first got my phone but...

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
My first smart phone was the HTC Incredible. It had GG. The rep talked me into a screen protector. I didn't know any better. Within a year I found this site and because of a discussion on here, I decided to take it off. All my phones (Incredible, Incredible 2, Rezound, Moto X, and Moto Z Droid) had GG. Never used one again, never needed one, and never scratched or broke a screen yet.
Edit: My wife just throws her phones in her purse and they've never been scratched either. No screen protector. They have all had GG too except for her Blackberry. That had a screen protector.

Last edited:
OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I didn't know there was an older thread like this. I searched but didn't see it, sometimes the search feature is not reliable (or doesn't work at all). I guess it doesn't hurt to have a newer discussion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I didn't know there was an older thread like this. I searched but didn't see it, sometimes the search feature is not reliable (or doesn't work at all). I guess it doesn't hurt to have a newer discussion.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

over the years I found search features in forums are very unreliable. as far as restarting threads where there had not been a response for years, I don't think so.

back to topic...
did not mention in my first post, the only real use screen protectors have these days is to hide scratches and hold cracks together. when I had a note 3, I put some dimes in the pocket where I kept the phone. this did a number on the screen, put a screen protector on and it hid the scratches and pits.

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I always use them bc I'm OCD.. I don't like the micro scratches that you get on the phone when not using one.. I have them on all my phones.. I'm sure the phones would make it fine but those small micro scratches I'm too OCD lol

LG G7

you are not alone about micro scratches but so far none on my note and had it since it was released.

JandN2639

Reaction score
We have an iPhone 7+ and a Samsung Galaxy S7. We have found screen protection very helpful: screens cost a lot to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I am here to tell you emphatically - Yes.

My Wife's brand new Galaxy 9+ simply riding in her purse - huge scratch about 1 hour before I got to her with her "surprise" screen protector.
Scratch is about an inch long. Nothing in her purse all that unusual for a Woman.

So, take it for what its worth. Wish I had been a little earlier....

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
We have an iPhone 7+ and a Samsung Galaxy S7. We have found screen protection very helpful: screens cost a lot to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What damage did the screen protectors avoid?

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am here to tell you emphatically - Yes.

My Wife's brand new Galaxy 9+ simply riding in her purse - huge scratch about 1 hour before I got to her with her "surprise" screen protector.
Scratch is about an inch long. Nothing in her purse all that unusual for a Woman.

So, take it for what its worth. Wish I had been a little earlier....

Sorry to hear that, that's horrible. I thought they used Gorilla Glass 4 or 5? That absolutely should not have scratched. I had a Note 2 for 4 years with no screen protector, traveled all over the world with it, and it looks as good as new.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, that's horrible. I thought they used Gorilla Glass 4 or 5? That absolutely should not have scratched. I had a Note 2 for 4 years with no screen protector, traveled all over the world with it, and it looks as good as new.
She actually handled it pretty well...I was surprised. Based on where the phone was riding and the nature of the scratch I am calling B.S. on the entire Gorilla Glass marketing ploy because that has to be what it is. I mean really, in her purse. Not like she is throwing her Coach purse around like a knapsack.
Most Women are pretty careful with their purses. Anywho, a screen protector would have taken that and cost me $12. Now she has a scratched $850 phone.
Now it has a screen protector on it....

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

nothing is totally scratch proof especially if the material is harder than the glass. galaxy s9 uses gorilla glass 5.