Gorilla Glass and screen protectors?

PorcPuffer

Reaction score
To those of you who have a device with gorilla glass, specifically the droid, Are screen protectors needed? I found that the Droid X will have gorilla glass,

Motorola DROID X review Boy Genius Report

and also watched a few videos on gorilla glass and they claim that it is highly scratch resistant, is that the case, and should i invest in a nice screen protector or will my screen be ok?

[video=vimeo;8602963]http://vimeo.com/8602963[/video] (gorilla glass demonstration)

carpenter_22

Reaction score
there is no need for protectors you would be wasting money and may not function as good as not having one.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Glass can scratch in the right conditions. No matter what. Some people swear you don't need screen protectors and that they ruin sensitivity, viewability (is that a word??) blah blah blah. Other people swear by them. I fall in the middle. I use but but not necessarily because I think I need one. I use one just in case I do. Your phone. Your screen. Your choice.

dodgersrgood

Reaction score
i'd say no. had my droid since day one. no screen protector, no case. got like one tiny scratch on the edge but the screen is perfectly fine. just dont abuse it and you'll be good

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
there is no need for protectors you would be wasting money and may not function as good as not having one.

I disagree. My first droid got scratched on the front glass from keys while in my pocket. My second had no scratches after I put a screen protector on it, and had it in my pocket with keys.

Im on my third, use a protector. My friend with a droid and no screen protector has a few scratches.

To answer your question OP..you can get them for a few dollars and they can guarantee your glass wont get scratched. Call verizon and ask if they will do the same without a protector. They do help.

jatx2wne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I agree that no protector is needed I had to return one droid which I had bought a screen protector for....before sending it back I tested out scratching it with random things around the house (not knives or anything like that) but keys and whatever else was near me and it did not scratch. Ive had my new one for about a month or so and would never go back to having a screen protector.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have been fortunate... no scratches on my Droid sans screen protector.

hendrix

Reaction score
I used a screen protector (sold by verizon) for about an hour and couldnt figure out why it was so hard to use. Took it off and i didn't have a bit of trouble and not a single scratch. With that said, I also keep my droid in a pocket by itself and am not a heavy abuser.

OP
P

PorcPuffer

Reaction score
ok, well i usually use the invisible shields you can get in the mall, Absolutley love them on my old devices but i will give it a shot without one, save the 40 bucks and just remember to keep my keys out of my pocket with the phone it it, not that they would both probably fit in one pocket lol

rolandct

Reaction score

I disagree. My first droid got scratched on the front glass from keys while in my pocket. My second had no scratches after I put a screen protector on it, and had it in my pocket with keys.

If the only requirement is I don't have my phone in the same pocket as keys (or similar obviously damaging objects) then I think I am good w/o one.

Especially hope it holds up with Swype, my friend's Inc has a bunch of tiny scratches from using Swype on his phone.

Droidfish

Reaction score
No screen protector here and I have some very small scratches that are only apparent when the screen is off. I used to use the zagg invisihield and I liked it, phone worked fine with it and I think it was actually easier to clean with the screen protector on. That said I'm still gonna rock mine without any protection because at the rate the scratches seem to appear I think I'll make it to my next phone without any problems.

Say what you want about the gorilla glass, it's very tough but it can scratch.

Edit: The reason I took my Zagg protector off was because one of these threads convinced me, lol

baniels

Reaction score
Droid screens CAN and WILL scratch under common circumstances. It has happened numerous times to members of this forum.

There are so many threads on this topic it is unbelievable! Just go read what has already been discussed. One member here reported his screen getting tiny scratches from the metallic gum wrapper in his pocket.

There may be some screen protectors that reduce the function of the touch screen, but there are certainly plenty that do not. Steinheil Crystal is a popular one.

Two grains of sand with your Droid in your pocket will not make you happy. Glass can scratch. Gorilla Glass can scratch. Anyone saying otherwise is misinformed.

The real question you need to answer is whether you will be bothered by a few tiny scratches. If not, then a screen protector may not be necessary. But if you want to sell your phone on ebay someday and say the screen is flawless, I recommend using a screen protector.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
There is only one screen protector anyone should ever consider, and everyone should get it. http://www.zagg.com. InvisibleSHIELD for the freakin' WIN. Watch the demonstration videos on there.