Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Gorilla Glass 5 Screen May Be Susceptible to Screen Scratches.

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Jeffrey, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    Reviewers and YouTube examiners are discovering that the new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Gorilla Glass 5 screen is susceptible to screen scratches. However, the Gorilla Glass manufacturer Corning disagrees with the test results, and has fired back.

[​IMG]
    Early reviews of the Galaxy Note 7 screens made with the Gorilla Glass 5 were readily picking up scratches. Compounding the reviewers' claims, frequent product test video generator YouTube Channel JerryRigEverything found that a relatively very soft scratch-testing pick caused damage to the screen glass.

JerryRigEverything damaged the screen with a testing pick of Mohs hardness 3. A tempered glass screen protector tested was scratched with hardness 5 pick.

For comparison, the iPhone 5s screen with Gorilla Glass 4 was rated at a Mohs hardness of 6.8. The Mohs rating of the iPhone 6 with Apple's ion-hardened glass is not known, but does scratch more readily than the iPhone 5s does.

The tester claims that most smartphones, including the iPhone, are scratched at around hardness 6. A screen scratching at hardness 3 is only slightly more scratch resistant than plastic.

Corning responded to the video in an interview with Android Authority. The glass manufacturer takes issue with the testing method, erroneous conclusions based on the damage, as well as discusses the characteristics that make Gorilla Glass suitable for portable electronics.

You can read more by clicking on the link below. In the meantime, those of you who opted for the N7... Play it safe and get yourself a quality screen protector.

Source:

• Like Like x 3
  2. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,904
    Good info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. liftedplane

liftedplane Gold Member

Ratings:
    +900
    NO!!!! Y U POST this guy :(:(:(

I refuse to watch his trite insipid videos.....

But now I want to know what happened.... dangit

4. Efin

Efin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +3,652
    He just does to the phones in one sitting what we could do over time, not sure about the fire part, but I guess some might just drop the phone into the fire ring at the beach or camping...
    We need to see some good screen protector options that work that are fully covering yet don't pop with a tight cover...

5. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Reporter

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,511
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Efin

Efin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +3,652
    I read that article, my question to it is as they state the GG5 is harder than the 3, 4, 5 picks thus they leave a residue/metal film, yet the GG4 doesn't scratch until pick 6, yet no "metal film" is left on it...
    Definitely will be a question for a while.

7. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,904
    Of course Corning is going to respond and they responded in a manner that I expected. Basically saying the test was not "industry". Except when I use my phone I'm not using it "industry" either.

If that glass can scratch easy I'm glad someone put that out there so people know to buy a screen protector. I must admit that the past few phones I bought a glass screen protector to protect it from shattering if I dropped it. It has been awhile since we had to recommend people buy a screen protector so not to scratch their phone when they put it in the same pocket as their keys accidentally.

The fact other people have reported similar issues have me trusting the ytuber over Corning.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#7 pc747, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  8. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    Then there's the issue of the pics themselves becoming corrupted or contaminated with harder microscopic fragments making them act like a harder pic. Still I tend to believe this video, especially since you have to ask yourself what benefit would the guy reap from trashing a particular phone model, especially after he praises another from the same company?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +5,904
    Exactly. Now if the guy was like "Samsung can't do anything right Apple is the best", then maybe I'll give the benefit.

At the end of the day the ytuber made an excellent point about buying a glass screen protector. You get both shatterproof and scratch resistance.

If that is the only issue from my phone then I could live with that. I wish manufacturers would just own it (because you know they know this already), throw in either a glass screen protector or provide a discount for purchase of a screen protector vs being hostile to sweep it under the rug and have customers learn after it's too late.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +951
    Why would they give you a screen protector when they can get a monthly fee for insurance?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. sharkattack99

sharkattack99 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +151
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    well rats guess i will have to get a screen protector i don't really like them, but if the screen scratches that easily i should get one.

12. Efin

Efin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +3,652
    Question for you Jackie and others, Asurion or Square Trade?

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Search tags for this page

galaxy note 7 tempered glass screen protectors

gorilla glass 5

note 7 glass screen protector

note 7 need screen protector

samsung galaxy note 7

screen protector for note 7

video app for galaxy note 7