Gorilla Glass 3 on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Faces Off Against Knives in Scratch Test

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Apr 22, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254

The new Samsung Galaxy S4 comes with a new feature that hasn't been covered heavily in the media. It includes the next generation of Gorilla Glass, version 3. Apparently, Gorilla Glass 2 simply made the original Gorilla Glass thinner and lighter rather than increasing its scratch resistance. The 3rd-gen version actually increases the strength of the glass as well, which can result in a 40% reduction of visibile scratches compared to the original Gorilla Glass.

An enterprising blogger decided to put this new glass technology resistance to the test, by pitting the new Gorilla Glass 3 equipped SGS4 up against pennies, keys, and knives! Check out the video above for the results.

Source: SamMobile

2. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +772
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    Why is he running it with his thumb??? Get a microfiber cloth or something and not your nasty greasy fingers.

3. jspradling7

jspradling7 Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    You're referring to a guy who's deliberately trying to scratch up a brand new S4. How much snap do you expect him to have? : )

4. warped1987

warped1987 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Was wondering why he kept taking it off the camera after each test. My mind started thinking well maybe he's scratched it and he's got a few extra brand new ones off camera and swapping them out, LOL. But I doubt that, I've seen what GG3 can do and he wouldn't have to do that. He must have been wiping them down off camera to show no scratches. But it did make it look a little suspicious.

5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +123
    He was just wiping it with his shirt, you can hear it if you turn the volume up.

At any rate, that doesn't impress me over the current version of GG on my Bionic, I have no scratches with the same tests at home, so where's the proof in the pudding? However if he showed that it could prevent scratches from the rubbing of beach sand or a razor blade, I'd be very impressed.

6. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    I second that, anything under a 8H hardness rating will not scratch any tempered glass.

Search tags for this page
does galaxy s3 have gorilla glass
does s3 have gorilla glass
does samsung galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does the galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

does the s3 have gorilla glass
does the samsung galaxy s3 have gorilla glass

galaxy s3 gorilla glass

gorilla glass 3 scratch test
gorilla glass galaxy s3
samsung galaxy s3 gorilla glass