Are Screen Protectors Really Needed? (On Gorilla Glass)

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I've had a SP save me. Was on my Note 4. Went golfing and while loading up my clubs, not thinking, I set the phone on the bumper. As I was stepping away, I shut the trunk and wondered why it didn't close. Saw my phone took the blow. I picked it up and saw the crack. MOFO, was my response.....but it was only the screen protector that was cracked!

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Stay away from OTEO. Mediocre at best and CS non-existent. Bought one for my Wifes S9+ and everything gets in under it. They started like they were going to stand by their guarantee and then...... crickets.
Like $13 not the end of the world but....

JandN2639

Reaction score
Stay away from OTEO. Mediocre at best and CS non-existent. Bought one for my Wifes S9+ and everything gets in under it. They started like they were going to stand by their guarantee and then...... crickets.

Sorry that happened to you CaptainSS. We’ve had a great experience with ZAGG for iPhones, LGs, and Samsungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

crickets????

JandN2639

Reaction score
MeJustSayin, it's a common expression in the USA. Just curious, which country are you in? My family is from Austria, but I was born in Chicago.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
the only cricket definitions I know of before today was a game, a lighter, and those bugs. oops, lets not forget a phone company.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Update: Anecdotally my weekend with my phone. Came to the conclusion that while "I" may not be a phone dropper that doesn't mean others aren't or more accurately - phone "slappers".
So, nice fun active weekend, lots of adventures and friends/family in my Jeep. I use a Scosche magnetic maount for my pixel2xl....tried putting the metal plate inside the case (not as strong) but it worked when I was alone in my Jeep - with company not so much.
I either have people in my life that drink too much, are far sighted or they simply talk with their hands.... whatever but my phone got "slapped" OFF its perch and into various hard objects THREE (#) times this weekend. 1st hit to a "nick" out of it, 2nd slap cracked it., 3rd one shattered...... Ordered replacement stuff and took a look this morning.
ALL the damage was to the Amfilm tempered glass SP and the case absorbed the hits with a very small nick (not enough to replace.
So, guess what I am happy about and will continue to apply?

My Wife still thinks she totally smashed my phone (very apologetic) I may update her after the Holiday :p

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
or was it really road rage :p though people swear by those type of mounts, I just don't trust them

They're simple/minimalistic but not fool-proof as the weekend showed. I've never had a problem but I'm usually alone in my Jeep. I tried one of the "clamp" type mounts a week or so ago. It was so big and complicated I felt like I needed to name it or something.
I now have a larger piece of metal on the outside of my case - not saying it isn't "slappable" but the magnet really grabs it now.

JandN2639

Reaction score
FYI, you may not want to have magnetic interaction right next to the phone. Magnets tend to interfere with modern electronics.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I researched as far as the internet (frustration) allowed .... I fell back on blind faith that a company (companies) wouldn't design and sell items with magnets IF they were going to interfere with our phones. That was hard for me to just admit, the blind faith part BUT the hard info sources were non-existent in the confines of my searches.
So far it hasn't caused my phone to turn on me and commit homicide or try to Nav me off a cliff or anything.
The clamping holders are just Too BIG.