Are Screen Protectors Really Needed? (On Gorilla Glass)

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
They're simple/minimalistic but not fool-proof as the weekend showed. I've never had a problem but I'm usually alone in my Jeep. I tried one of the "clamp" type mounts a week or so ago. It was so big and complicated I felt like I needed to name it or something.
I now have a larger piece of metal on the outside of my case - not saying it isn't "slappable" but the magnet really grabs it now.
I wish there was a decent, small, secure "phone holder" .... I use the phone out in the open for Nav, music, etc otherwise I'd just leave it pocketed.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
FYI, you may not want to have magnetic interaction right next to the phone. Magnets tend to interfere with modern electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moto z phones have magnets built in to the phones that hold the mods on place.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I wish there was a decent, small, secure "phone holder" .... I use the phone out in the open for Nav, music, etc otherwise I'd just leave it pocketed.
I use a vent clip holder style one does the job and easy to slide on and off...

LG G7

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I haven't used a screen protector since my Note 4 because the protector was a pain - it had bubbles under it, and after a while started to peal. It was put on there by the store where I got the phone along with a case I hated. Didn't ever authorize it and discovered it was done without my knowledge and just added to the bill (a huge amount). I complained and was told they added them to all the phones because everyone wanted them! I don't like screen protectors as to me it seems to hurt the response to the screen and the natural colors. YMMV. I use a minimalist case because I don't like the glass back (too slippery for me). I find it funny that the phone makers brag about their phones looks yet a high proportion of their customers cover that up. Just make phones that don't need these things!

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
You could just put a transparent skin on the glass back if you want nakedness without all the slip (and fingerprints).

JandN2639

Reaction score
Zagg guarantees its products and provides detailed instructions for application. Any small bubbles can be pierced with a pin and deflated. Well worth the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I haven't used a screen protector since my Note 4 because the protector was a pain - it had bubbles under it, and after a while started to peal. It was put on there by the store where I got the phone along with a case I hated. Didn't ever authorize it and discovered it was done without my knowledge and just added to the bill (a huge amount). I complained and was told they added them to all the phones because everyone wanted them! I don't like screen protectors as to me it seems to hurt the response to the screen and the natural colors. YMMV. I use a minimalist case because I don't like the glass back (too slippery for me). I find it funny that the phone makers brag about their phones looks yet a high proportion of their customers cover that up. Just make phones that don't need these things!

adding a screen protector without permission??? I would have been mad too, especially if they charged for it. I would have contacted the bbb over that, even if they did take it off. I do agree about nice pretty phones getting covered up with cases. that is why I started using clear cases. Never did use cases when the back was plastic but with the glass, the phones are just too slippery.

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Still haven't added a screen protector to Z2 force only nics in the bezels

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
As to comment about magnets and phones, some phones have magnetic sensors that activate drive/auto modes that are designed for certain car mounts. Magnets won't hurt phones, but can have adverse effects on some models. Metal plates how ever will interfere with wireless charging.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Do magnets damage screen protectors?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo