Are Screen Protectors Really Needed? (On Gorilla Glass)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Personally, I've never been a fan of them.
I do keep my phone in my front left pocket, screen to my leg, with nothing else, but I also always have my phone on me. That means while doing yard work, working on the truck, crawling in attics & crawl spaces for work, etc.

Probably my biggest complaint with them is that I've yet to find one as clear as the naked screen. No matter what tricks I've employed when installing them, there always seems to be some tiny hair or an itty bitty bubble that drives me nuts.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JandN2639

Reaction score
What damage did the screen protectors avoid?

Sajo, a clumsy store employee once dropped our iPhone on a concrete floor. The screen protector cracked, but the phone was fine. That was enough for us! We use Zagg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sajo, a clumsy store employee once dropped our iPhone on a concrete floor. The screen protector cracked, but the phone was fine. That was enough for us! We use Zagg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always used them.... Glass screen protectors.
Simple physics. The kinetic energy of a drop has to go somewhere. I'd rather it be dissipated on a cheap glass protector as it shatters than on my screen.
As far as scratches are concerned, I agree with Sajo. Easier to scratch a tempered glass protector than GG

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I installed a SP on hers and mine as well. curved glass went on easily and perfectly. Don't know they're there.
I'm still going to avoid driving over them in my Jeep..... but minimalistic case and a glass sp. booYah

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Well we talked about it.. dropped my phone today on the escalator at the Mall... I will not be using the thin case I was trying not even lasted 12 hours... Lol
Capture+_2018-06-16-12-59-39.jpeg

LG G7

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hope the phone is OK bk

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
with the trend going to glass bodies and squeezable phones, wonder when they are going to come out with full body screen protection (not talking about cases)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
with the trend going to glass bodies and squeezable phones, wonder when they are going to come out with full body screen protection (not talking about cases)
Like a tempered glass dbrand or slick wraps skin?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This depends on your environment. If you work outside then the extra protection does help. I've seen it for myself. It is an extra layer of glass when paired with a case that will take the shock.

Now I would not buy one from a carrier or store because of the insane markup. That is where Amazon comes in. Glass screen protectors are now cheaper then when they were first introduced. You can easily get a pack of 2 and a couple of cases for under $30. Which is the cost that carriers want to charge for one screen protector.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ever since gorilla glass 3 I have not put a protector on any smartphone. But I also don't keep my phone in pocket with other items.
Case with edge protection that rises above screen is all that's needed these days in my opinion.
Also a lot of screens these days are so curved that protector will just make your phone look like 10 year old junk, I pass.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Agreed round edges make them tough.. why I spend extra on protectors like the White Dome they seem to have it figured out with fit and cases

LG G7