i hate my razor

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
I own both the RAZR and iPhone 4S (with AT&T), so am I allowed to comment negatively without getting flamed :) I also own an iPad 2, which I'm typing this on. I've had multiple iPhones on both AT&T and Verizon. I've also owned multiple Android devices on Verizon. I'm familiar with force closes. iPhone will close apps on you too. It just doesn't show a dialogue box. But I've had fewer force closes on my RAZR than any other Android device. As for battery, all of my phones batteries suck because I'm constantly playing with them :) but I have multiple chargers and car chargers so I don't worry about battery life. I also have a Just Mobile Gum Plus for my portable charging needs. iPhone 4S does some things better than RAZR and RAZR does some things better than 4S. They are my 2 favorite phones. Can't go wrong with either.

jrpbulk

Reaction score
I just like gadgets I buy as many as I can and I am device agnostic (although I do like google more than others). The description you gave below can be applied equally to "extremist" of every kind.

I actually wanted the GN in fact I held off buying anything until a week or so before the GN release. I still had doubts about my RAZR purchase a few days ago. I don't anymore. I just like the quality of the build better. I also think in just a few short months my RAZR will have ICS (officially since I don't have the time to root too many other hobbies) and there will be many other more powerful devices from many different vendors sporting ICS in 2012. For example I am expecting the door bell to ring with the delivery of my new ASUS Prime super tablet.

Personally I think it is a bit silly for people to get all riled up over any of this, but luckily we all have that right and are allowed to exercise it (for now) without reservation. I joined this forum to learn and to share what I learn

QUOTE=brad92;1923801]One thing I find to be true with the Motorola guys is, you have a bad experience with Motorola and come on here and talk about it, you're automatically a troll. I think a ton of people drink the Motorola Kool-Aid and are hypocrites when they talk about Iphone users. Also, the Razr/Bionic guys are always the ones raiding the Nexus and Resound threads because they like to brag about their phone and feel good about themselves.

X[/QUOTE]

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
I was a little apprehensive about rooting but I wanted wireless tethering for my iPad as well as screenshot capabilities. It took about 3 minutes and everything was smooth.

jrpbulk

Reaction score
Icyhot,

I guess I am just nervous. But i can use my old droid incredible to play

I was a little apprehensive about rooting but I wanted wireless tethering for my iPad as well as screenshot capabilities. It took about 3 minutes and everything was smooth.

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
If you switch from a 4G device to a 3G device, it makes the SIM no longer usable if you decide to switch back to the 4G device, right?

Androidatic

Reaction score
Droid Razr.Does it REALLY live up to the Razr Name? It def. lives up 2 the Droid name. And that might not be a great thing.....

i've had Blackberrys, Iphone, Iphone 3, Iphone 4, Iphone 4S, Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr - I have to say the common theme throughout my experience with android based phones is that they all have bugs. I have yet to have one android based phone that wasn't replaced at least once.

You read posts and most people find: Battery issues, Programs shutting out of the blue. Not to mention a hit or miss reputation. The phones are some what more masculine in software than Apple but with Apple you have a lot less issues. The majority of Apple customers don't have to switch their phones out for a 2nd and 3rd Iphone. It just doesn't happen as frequently as it does with Android. The phones have a lot of areas to modify but what good is modifying a phone when you:

Can't use 4G because battery lasts for half the day.
Can't reply on navigation when driving because your service toggles between 4G, 3G, and NO G!
Can't write an email without your application shutting half way through the email.

Shouldn't we expect more from a $750 phone?

You shouldn't have to tweak the phone for it to have a battery that will last. You should have a phone that works and lasts. They are charging close to 6, 7, and 800 dollars for these phones. Shouldn't we expect more??

Needless to say I went back to the Iphone 4s. I was hoping Android could actually deliver with this phone. It is by far a great phone. But it's greatness only shows up when the phones feels like it.

Gotta say I disagree with you. I had an Eris and an Incredible and never exchanged either of them.

I haven't rooted any phone I've had/have and aren't experiencing any of the issues you're talking about.

Sure the iPhone is more stable. That's because it's so locked down. With the ability to customize the phone to your liking, conflicts will occur. That's the tradeoff.

You can stick with what Apple thinks you should like or make it like you want it and put up with some inconveniences.

That's what great about the best selling OS in the world, you can have it your way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

breedingh8

Reaction score
This thing is a pos or it just verizon that is a junk network. I dunno what the issue is but my d2g running hexen blew this thing out of the water. I cant keep a data connection to save my life it bounces from 3g (4 or 5 bars) to just 4 or 5 bars (no data) and heaven forbid if it goes to 4 g omg then the thing is slower than *explitive* molases in january. What a joke verizon and this friggin fishing weight the call a phone is. I wish they would unlock the friggin thing so that people that know what they are doing can actually make it work! But i am stuck who th this underperforming device until they do. I would so love to have a hopped up D2 right now.......verizon you're ultra lame...,rant off.

No issues with mine except when there was known 4g issues..

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I posted a clip on YouTube removing the back from the RAZR.

Its really not that hard. Only tools I used were my fingers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

I second that.

I did discover the proper way to remove the back cover without doing any damage. First, you either need a spudger or other semi-rigid plastic tool (like perhaps a plastic knife), or you can use your fingernail if it's stiff enough. For me, the fingernail worked fine.

Starting from the bottom right corner (when looking at the front of the phone), carefully but firmly work your "tool" into the thin opening between the back cover and the black rubberized rib that runs the entire circumference of the phone. If you are careful but committed, you will feel the bottom corner give way and "pop". Once you have that corner loose, you can then run your "tool" (i.e. fingernail), up along that side of the phone. The nubs that hold the cover onto the frame are on the back cover and fit into small indentations in the phone. By gently prying the back cover edge out and toward the back of the phone, you'll progress up the right side of the phone. Once you reach the top, stop. Then go back to the bottom and work across the bottom toward the opposite corner. Once you reach the bottom left corner, you'll work up the left side and dislodge the last bottom clip, before you hit the card slot door.

For me, the best way to get the left side open was to open the card door and work my fingernail under the back cover on the left side at the top of the card door. Once you get that side started again you'll continue up that side to the top. Now, before you try to take the back cover off, you need to know that the cover is affixed to the battery by double-sided tape on the battery.

(*EDIT*, there are also two small strips of double-sided tape along the bottom edge where the microphone is. These come free almost instantly but simply remember they are there so you don't get them covered in dust or dirt. They will stay affixed to the back cover, whereas the one on the battery will remain on the battery. Also VERY IMPORTANT!! The noise cancelling Mic is on the back where the cover is affixed. There is a very small somewhat oval or more teardrop shaped foam rubber stickie around the Mic, that creates a seal between the mother board and the back cover to seal the Mic to the outside and prevent any internal noise from making it to the Mic. BE VEEEEWY CAWEFUL as you run your fingernail or tool by that Mic hole on the bottom at the back. If your tool is inserted too far, you'll mash up the foam seal.)

You CAN get the cover free of the battery without destroying the double-sided tape, but you have to be patient and not push it. It takes about 10 minutes to get the cover free if you go slow enough and in order to keep the tape from ripping.

The trick to getting the tape free of the cover is to apply gentle prying pressure as you pry the cover loose, but don't try to peel it off. Instead, let the tape release itself gently. I found that steady and slow is the way to go. I just stuck my finger in there and let the cover work itself loose without applying any additional pressure. Once you finally free the tape from the battery, the top edge of the cover is the last part to free. That will come off easily by simply lifting the cover like a hinge, up toward the top of the phone, and the last row of clips at the top will release. Once off, be careful to protect the inside of the phone, and particularly the double-sided tape on the battery from dust and other debris.

After you release the cover, there is a Fluorescent Orange rubber cover over two Torx screws. Those screws keep the contacts for the battery firmly pressed onto the mating contacts on the motherboard. Simply lift the cover, remove the screws, and the connection simply lifts off with NO pressure. Then just grab the tab on the side of the battery and lift out. You're done. Now all you need to do is put the new battery in, hopefully it came with the double-sided tape. If not, get some from a craft or office supply store. Two standard width strips side by side should give you the proper coverage.

Last edited:
OP
K

kanyonkritter

Reaction score
I second that.

I did discover the proper way to remove the back cover without doing any damage. First, you either need a spudger or other semi-rigid plastic tool (like perhaps a plastic knife), or you can use your fingernail if it's stiff enough. For me, the fingernail worked fine.

Starting from the bottom right corner (when looking at the front of the phone), carefully but firmly work your "tool" into the thin opening between the back cover and the black rubberized rib that runs the entire circumference of the phone. If you are careful but committed, you will feel the bottom corner give way and "pop". Once you have that corner loose, you can then run your "tool" (i.e. fingernail), up along that side of the phone. The nubs that hold the cover onto the frame are on the back cover and fit into small indentations in the phone. By gently prying the back cover edge out and toward the back of the phone, you'll progress up the right side of the phone. Once you reach the top, stop. Then go back to the bottom and work across the bottom toward the opposite corner. Once you reach the bottom left corner, you'll work up the left side and dislodge the last bottom clip, before you hit the card slot door.

For me, the best way to get the left side open was to open the card door and work my fingernail under the back cover on the left side at the top of the card door. Once you get that side started again you'll continue up that side to the top. Now, before you try to take the back cover off, you need to know that the cover is affixed to the battery by double-sided tape on the battery.

(*EDIT*, there are also two small strips of double-sided tape along the bottom edge where the microphone is. These come free almost instantly but simply remember they are there so you don't get them covered in dust or dirt. They will stay affixed to the back cover, whereas the one on the battery will remain on the battery. Also VERY IMPORTANT!! The noise cancelling Mic is on the back where the cover is affixed. There is a very small somewhat oval or more teardrop shaped foam rubber stickie around the Mic, that creates a seal between the mother board and the back cover to seal the Mic to the outside and prevent any internal noise from making it to the Mic. BE VEEEEWY CAWEFUL as you run your fingernail or tool by that Mic hole on the bottom at the back. If your tool is inserted too far, you'll mash up the foam seal.)

You CAN get the cover free of the battery without destroying the double-sided tape, but you have to be patient and not push it. It takes about 10 minutes to get the cover free if you go slow enough and in order to keep the tape from ripping.

The trick to getting the tape free of the cover is to apply gentle prying pressure as you pry the cover loose, but don't try to peel it off. Instead, let the tape release itself gently. I found that steady and slow is the way to go. I just stuck my finger in there and let the cover work itself loose without applying any additional pressure. Once you finally free the tape from the battery, the top edge of the cover is the last part to free. That will come off easily by simply lifting the cover like a hinge, up toward the top of the phone, and the last row of clips at the top will release. Once off, be careful to protect the inside of the phone, and particularly the double-sided tape on the battery from dust and other debris.

After you release the cover, there is a Fluorescent Orange cover over two Torx screws. Those screws keep the contacts for the battery firmly pressed onto the mating contacts on the motherboard. Remove the screws, and the connection simply lifts off with NO pressure. Then just grab the tab on the side of the battery and lift out. You're done. Now all you need to do is put the new battery in, hopefully it came with the double-sided tape. If not, get some from a craft or office supply store. Two standard width strips side by side should give you the proper coverage.
very informative.......real good info to have out there. I would hate to see this threadbget closed now for sure lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Kool-Aid.

Right...:unsure: Thanks for the clarification...see, not only don't I DRINK the Kool-Aid :blink:, I don't even KNOW the Kool-Aid :eek:hmy:, but I believe it's Apple flavored :D!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

I did view his video and it looks like the cover came free from the tape on his battery a lot easier than mine (perhaps because he's had it open more than once?) I was fearing either cracking the plastic frame that surrounds the Kevlar, or ripping the tape making replacing of the cover difficult or causing the Kevlar to have ripples or ridges if the tape were to overlap.

I say, stead and slow is the way to go! :happy3:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea by the time that clip was posted it was removed a few times already. I mentioned thinking the glue would get less sticky the more times you remove it. The first time might always be the most nerve racking.

senker

Reaction score
This thing is a pos or it just verizon that is a junk network. I dunno what the issue is but my d2g running hexen blew this thing out of the water. I cant keep a data connection to save my life it bounces from 3g (4 or 5 bars) to just 4 or 5 bars (no data) and heaven forbid if it goes to 4 g omg then the thing is slower than *explitive* molases in january. What a joke verizon and this friggin fishing weight the call a phone is. I wish they would unlock the friggin thing so that people that know what they are doing can actually make it work! But i am stuck who th this underperforming device until they do. I would so love to have a hopped up D2 right now.......verizon you're ultra lame...,rant off.

I was thinking the same thing until I did a factory reset. Insanely fast again.