I can't help but laugh at those who try to pump the Bionic over the Bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

xan

Reaction score
no per HTC the thunderbolt is not hdmi out compatible. the usb port that is in the thundrbolt is not the same as the incredible and is not capable of hdmi per the folks at htc. the new devices that have this are using a new port called hml. which has a switch in it when a usb feed is plugged in that it does its usb thing if hdmi signal is detected than they change to hdmi out. pretty interesting of course none of our other devices support the full benfits yet as usual :)
It's pretty clear that the folks at HTC decided to sell the THunderbolt and include "crapware" in the phone to make it cheaper by cutting major corners. The missing RAM, mediocre micro-USB with no HDMI (despite the spec) and a miniscule powered battery. After the Thunderbolt I plan on not buying an HTC phone again. Sense has been good but now that the others have caught on, HTC will no longer rule and will have screwed up a good thing. These big corporation executives are all the same. Can't build a great mousetrap for fear of not squeezing out every penny they can get from consumers. No pride, no shame.

Often times in the past it has been VRZ that has had OEM's cripple their devices before VRZ will carry it.

dafischman

Reaction score
I agree that it isn't as big of a deal as some make it. I think some people see it as a matter of principle. It is a benefit for the thunderbolt but not as big of one as some would like to think.

Josh

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Ok, now for the sake of argument tell me this.....why is flashing a kernel SOOOO important to you?

I had a DX for 8 months and loved it. Had it rooted, ROM'ed and overclocked to 1.45ghz, the locked bootloader didnt prevent me from doing ANYTHING.

Now, I have the TB and have it rooted, ROM'ed and a custom kernel....it flies just like the DX did.

By looking at or using either phone you wouldnt/couldnt tell if the bootloader was locked or not.

Im playing devil's advocate.....YES I want it unlocked/open, but in all honesty I think people really blow the issue out of proportion.

Without custom kernels you can't flash true custom roms

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Again, instead of a textbook answer....tell me the difference (as if I dont know).

Tell me what you can do on the TB (or anything with an unlocked bootloader) that you WOULDNT be able to do with a DX for example.

PS- My point is, If you cant come up with a good reason, why is it an issue.

Change the kernel! The kernel defines the performance of the device. I don't really overclock but I do use an undervolted kernel. Less voltage=less heat=better battery life.
Since flashing a custom undervolted kernel I get AT LEAST twice the battery life! With Motorola's encrypted bootloaders you can't change the kernel. This is why the D1 development community is flocking to the Thunderbolt. You will of course see devs on the Bionic, but likely not as many because it's such s pain to develop with. Look at the x, 2, and global...not a lot of Rom choices.

I was going to wait for the bionic, but after seeing all the devs on the Thunderbolt, I decided I'd be happier with the huge community I grew to love with my D1 (may it rest in peace). If you would rather have a locked bootloader and don't mind waiting for Motorola to update your device, by all means get the Bionic. If you want a development community with lots of Rom and kernel choices, get the Thunderbolt.

Why people feel the need to argue in these threads is beyond me. Can't we just all be respectful of other people's views and discuss them without it turning into "my dad is better than your dad"!

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

MrKleen

Reaction score
I have to completely disagree with you there. You cant blindly put a blanket assumption down over someone's opinion.

There is a big difference between hardware specs and software specs. Android being "open" is software....and whether that is important to someone doesnt mean hardware is or is not.

Now, I want android to stay open, but I also want good devices, they are BOTH important to me and I wouldnt settle for just one or the other and be completely happy.

But its all personal opinion, to each his own.

In my opinion any phone that is unlocked with the ability to replace the kernel wins. Motorola has not had this since the original D1. Based on that the D1 beats the Bionic.

But I realize not everyone wants to flash real roms. But for those that do, Motorola told us to move on to something else. Which is exactly what I did...

Ok, now for the sake of argument tell me this.....why is flashing a kernel SOOOO important to you?

I had a DX for 8 months and loved it. Had it rooted, ROM'ed and overclocked to 1.45ghz, the locked bootloader didnt prevent me from doing ANYTHING.

Now, I have the TB and have it rooted, ROM'ed and a custom kernel....it flies just like the DX did.

By looking at or using either phone you wouldnt/couldnt tell if the bootloader was locked or not.

Im playing devil's advocate.....YES I want it unlocked/open, but in all honesty I think people really blow the issue out of proportion.

The kernel is the core of the operating system and it manages the systems resources. It's what makes the software work with the hardware (memory, processor...).

With the Droid X you can make some decent roms by modifying the software but the devs are limited in what they can do. When the dev has access to the kernel source they can make tweaks for their roms to help them run better and offer more features.

With the X all roms have to be made to run off the same kernel without any tweaks or modifications.

There will always be more developer attention and support for devices that have access to the kernel. Just look at the D1 and the developer community compared to the X. The same with the Incredible.... or other HTC devices.

In just a few short weeks since the Thunderbolt has been out there are already a bunch of roms available and there will be countless more. The roms for the X and 2 were very slow coming and are very few.

I am not a developer, but would love to hear the input from one of the popular rom makers. What would you prefer to work with? and Why?

illmatic636

Reaction score
will never be rooted

you mean like the Droid X and Droid 2 that were said to "never be rooted" but are now rooted and ROM'd?

exactly!!!

Why do people consistently say the word "never".
We are looking for Verizon's flagship phone, not HTC's. Some of us preffer Motorola over HTC in general.
What's funny how HTC fanboys love to defend their device, yet have no ammo to back it up. It's been established that the Thunderbolt is the Evo 4G branded by Verizon with a gray shell. Yippee! Granted Attrix has been out a couple of months, Evo has been out for much longer.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
Again, instead of a textbook answer....tell me the difference (as if I dont know).

Tell me what you can do on the TB (or anything with an unlocked bootloader) that you WOULDNT be able to do with a DX for example.

PS- My point is, If you cant come up with a good reason, why is it an issue.

The main thing an unlocked bootloader allows you to do is make more changes to the system. This means we don't have to wait for Motorola to leak a version of GB or any future OS version with the encrypted bootloader to get it on your phone. That is why the D1 has had GB roms for awhile and the DX and D2 had to wait until it was leaked by moto themselves. If moto chooses to stop supporting a device, you'll never end up with the newest OS with the locked bootloader.

Josh

Yeah I understand that and agree....BUT.....

At that point we should be mad at the company for not supporting a device that they released, not because the bootloader is locked and we cant support it ourselves ;)

In the end, it is, like I stated before, an issue and makes a negative impact for sure, but people really blow it out of proportion and there hasnt been any huge impact with any of the devices out YET to prove that issue.

The issue with the bootloader is that you cant have custom ROM's, you get glorified themes. Have you seen a REAL custom ROM on a DX, D2, DG2G? You don't see CM7, MIUI etc. If you are really into modding your phone, you want an unlocked bootloader, that is where the Dev's will go, because it gives them kernel level freedom.

Cannot wait until Slayher gets data up and running, we have yet to see what the thunderbolt is capable of.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
will never be rooted

you mean like the Droid X and Droid 2 that were said to "never be rooted" but are now rooted and ROM'd?

exactly!!!

We are looking for Verizon's flagship phone, not HTC's. Some of us preffer Motorola over HTC in general.
What's funny how HTC fanboys love to defend their device, yet have no ammo to back it up. It's been established that the Thunderbolt is the Evo 4G branded by Verizon with a gray shell. Yippee! Granted Attrix has been out a couple of months, Evo has been out for much longer.

I believe the OP mis-spoke. What he was probably referring to was that the bootloader would never be unlocked.

And actually if you did some research you would realize that the TB isn't just a relabled evo. It has newer architecture in its CPU, increased RAM and more storage. It beats the EVO hands down in benchmarks.

Don't be a hypocritical fanboy... read more, talk less.

Pumaro

Reaction score
will never be rooted

exactly!!!

There are quite a few differences between the EVO and the thunderbolt. Thunderbolt has more memory 768 vs 512. More onboard storage 8gb vs 1gb and of course LTE vs Wimax. Thunderbolt has a better kickstand better screen (more vibrant colors) and better performance...

sent via ThunderBolt

Last edited:

illmatic636

Reaction score

exactly!!!

I believe the OP mis-spoke. What he was probably referring to was that the bootloader would never be unlocked.

And actually if you did some research you would realize that the TB isn't just a relabled evo. It has newer architecture in its CPU, increased RAM and more storage. It beats the EVO hands down in benchmarks.

Just because you pour syrup on $hit, doesn't make it pancakes.

slinky

Reaction score
After the Thunderbolt I plan on not buying an HTC phone again

I'm the exact opposite. I bought the TB after they released the kernel source. Instead of locking owners out of their own devices, the thunderbolt is a true open source device and I will support the company from that decision alone. And I came from the D1 which was one of the greatest devices ever released

I hear you and don't disagree. But I have no time to screw around with ROMS, etc. which seems like fun but I have too much to do. Besides, none of that makes much of a difference if I have to keep charging my phone or have none at all. I've had enough nickel and diming on the simple stuff. Just build the basic things right, end of story.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
exactly!!!

Just because you pour syrup on $hit, doesn't make it pancakes.

So adding ram, storage and putting a newer, faster, more efficient processor is just "pouring syrup"?

But your beloved MOTO bionic gets an extra core and the same 512mb ram and it's golden? LMAO..ok

If you want to be a fanboy, be my guest, but i wouldn't be calling people people out if you choose to stay your path.

shneeko6

Reaction score
Everyone keeps posting about how the dual cores aren't going to be a big improvement because the software isn't utilizing the hardware yet.

Wrong

There's been a bunch of benchmarks comparing the dual cores that are available now to high end single core phones. Even with just Froyo, the dual cores still blow away the single core phones.
Seems to me that froyo is fine running two cores. Once the software is tweaked to completely utilize both cores, its going to be insane.

Google it if you don't believe me. And I'm not talking about the stupid quadrant benchmarks either.

OP just sounds butt hurt to me. He sounds like he regrets being stuck with the tbolt and made this thread to gather some other tbolt owners to bash on the bionic to make himself feel better.

That's cool and all, but jesus christ, they're only phones.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
will never be rooted

exactly!!!

You need to do some research before posting things like this, the Thunderbolt is nothing like the EVO internally. Additionally, established by who? Yourself? If you read you'll see otherwise. That's like saying the Bionic is just a rebranded atrix when we both know that inside there are many differences. It's personal preference, I prefer unlocked bootloader with complete control over MY device.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

illmatic636

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.