hulu & netflix

dolfanpete

Reaction score
I am no able to view videos on those sites after 10.1 are we not gonna be able to do so with the moto Droid? I can stream from YouTube. What's going on?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Hulu does not have licenses for mobile streaming. Netflix uses Silverlight, not flash

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Hulu does not have licenses for mobile streaming. Netflix uses Silverlight, not flash

I knew why netflix didn't work, but that's the first explanation I've heard for hulu not working. I wonder if it's possible to create an app that fools a site into seeing a Droid as a laptop instead of a mobile...

techRob

Reaction score

I knew why netflix didn't work, but that's the first explanation I've heard for hulu not working. I wonder if it's possible to create an app that fools a site into seeing a Droid as a laptop instead of a mobile...
There's been some discussion about Hulu on here a few times - in respect to utilizing flash, and fooling the site to think it's a desktop browser, not mobile. I tried simply watching a flash video via the flash mobile website and wasn't all that impressed. I tried watching something via Bitbop - wasn't all that impressed. I prolly would use Hulu...but who knows....web video streams on the droid just don't seem to cut it IMO - which uberly saddens me (i was looking forward to that feature more than anything)..i mean, being stuck at a family get together, bored, having the ability to watch hulu on my phone - talk about a life saver. :(

Anyway, here's a couple links that might help a bit with your question:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/70421-can-rooted-phones-watch-hulu.html

and this one (which has the "work around" mentioned)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/lithiummod/68409-flash-hulu-not-working.html

...I haven't tried...I was waiting for the official 10.1 mobile version of flash to come out (as opposed to beta 3). Hoping that the compression might work better so there isn't much lag at all - i'm an audio/videophile, so I tend to notice some of these things easier (and they bug me to a higher degree) than a lot of people [that I know].

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The final version of Flash is supposed to be much better. We shall see.

As for hulu, the linked discussion mentions installing a modified APK. I don't do that sort of thing as some evil dev could steal your info if they wanted. Do you like installing random software off the web?

I would try Dolphin HD from the market and set the user agent to Desktop. I use Dolphin HD as the default browser and really like it. It has tabs too.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

There's been some discussion about Hulu on here a few times - in respect to utilizing flash, and fooling the site to think it's a desktop browser, not mobile. I tried simply watching a flash video via the flash mobile website and wasn't all that impressed. I tried watching something via Bitbop - wasn't all that impressed. I prolly would use Hulu...but who knows....web video streams on the droid just don't seem to cut it IMO - which uberly saddens me (i was looking forward to that feature more than anything)..i mean, being stuck at a family get together, bored, having the ability to watch hulu on my phone - talk about a life saver. :(

Anyway, here's a couple links that might help a bit with your question:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/70421-can-rooted-phones-watch-hulu.html

and this one (which has the "work around" mentioned)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/lithiummod/68409-flash-hulu-not-working.html

...I haven't tried...I was waiting for the official 10.1 mobile version of flash to come out (as opposed to beta 3). Hoping that the compression might work better so there isn't much lag at all - i'm an audio/videophile, so I tend to notice some of these things easier (and they bug me to a higher degree) than a lot of people [that I know].

Thanks. From the sounds of it, there's already an app for it, but it may need to be smoothed out and perfected to reach an actual gold release. I bet we'll have it eventually.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

As for hulu, the linked discussion mentions installing a modified APK. I don't do that sort of thing as some evil dev could steal your info if they wanted. Do you like installing random software off the web?

I would try Dolphin HD from the market and set the user agent to Desktop. I use Dolphin HD as the default browser and really like it. It has tabs too.

No, I'm not about to grab that modified apk - I'm not THAT desperate for hulu. I already have Dolphin HD, though I'm not very fond of it. Setting the stock browser user agent to desktop (vie about:debug) doesn't work, so I don't have much hope for Dolphin working either.

techRob

Reaction score

I've been a little out of the loop on this...any word when this is supposed to be released?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not about to grab that modified apk - I'm not THAT desperate for hulu. I already have Dolphin HD, though I'm not very fond of it. Setting the stock browser user agent to desktop (vie about:debug) doesn't work, so I don't have much hope for Dolphin working either.

A user in the linked thread reported that Dolphin HD works. If it sets the user agent to something that doesn't give away that it is on Android, it may work. The stock browser's desktop user agent probably says something like "I am Firefox (no, I'm Android)" while the Dolphin HD UA may just say "I am Firefox". Just speculating, but worth a shot.

I like Dolphin HD. Tabs, persistent user agent. It is a little quirky, but you get used to it.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

A user in the linked thread reported that Dolphin HD works. If it sets the user agent to something that doesn't give away that it is on Android, it may work. The stock browser's desktop user agent probably says something like "I am Firefox (no, I'm Android)" while the Dolphin HD UA may just say "I am Firefox". Just speculating, but worth a shot.

I like Dolphin HD. Tabs, persistent user agent. It is a little quirky, but you get used to it.

I just tried hulu with Dolphin HD, user agent set to desktop - and I made sure to set it before going to hulu. It didn't work.

Maybe there's something else to it - a setting in Dolphin's menu structure to enable Flash, maybe? I looked, but couldn't find any such thing.

Hulu doesn't require a login/account these days, does it..?

techRob

Reaction score

I just tried hulu with Dolphin HD, user agent set to desktop - and I made sure to set it before going to hulu. It didn't work.

Maybe there's something else to it - a setting in Dolphin's menu structure to enable Flash, maybe? I looked, but couldn't find any such thing.

To use it, no - not that the login seems to do much IMO (the dang site hardly ever remembers where I left off anymore, and if I leave the video paused too long - say, 3-5min, it will start from the very beginning when i un-pause it. grrr.... Anyway, they are offering a "mobile solution" i believe, as part of "hulu plus" - monthly subscription. Maybe i'm wrong that it has any "mobile" use about it, I can't remember...I lost interest because it's $10/mo with commercials still - and then there's that pause / resume glitch I mentioned...but the $10/mo does get you all the previously aired episodes (at least of the current season) instead of the recent 5.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

Oh, you should probably clear cookies too. If you visited hulu before, it may have set a cookie that marks your browser as a mobile one.

I haven't tried any of this stuff myself, so maybe it won't work, but the person in the other thread said there's a little arrow pointing down that you need to click. I imagine that that's just the "flashblock" type arrow to enable the flash plugin. Maybe we should PM that person and see what's up.

Flash works fine for me. i use dolphin hd and when you go to view a flash video there is a little arrow pointing down. just click the arrow and the video plays.

Maybe he wasn't talking about hulu even though he was in a hulu thread. Let's mass PM him!

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Oh, you should probably clear cookies too. If you visited hulu before, it may have set a cookie that marks your browser as a mobile one.

I'd never visited hulu using Dolphin before (only stock), so unless they share their cookies folders, that shouldn't make a difference. I did see the little green down-arrow, and I clicked it, but it just went away and left a large black square.

I'll monkey with it more this weekend.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'd never visited hulu using Dolphin before (only stock), so unless they share their cookies folders, that shouldn't make a difference. I did see the little green down-arrow, and I clicked it, but it just went away and left a large black square.

None of this will work. Hulu is on top of things unfortunately.... They really dont want us viewing their stuff on our phones. Ive tried practically all this, including skyfire which actually has flash in it (you could of had flash in 2.1, i did :)) Hulu worked for a short amount of time like when skyfire just came out, but then they patched something becuase now hulu no longer works....im waiting in agony as netflix gets their android stuff together. I CANT WAIT. They need to hurry up already.....

Ghostwheel

Reaction score

None of this will work. Hulu is on top of things unfortunately.... They really dont want us viewing their stuff on our phones. Ive tried practically all this, including skyfire which actually has flash in it (you could of had flash in 2.1, i did :)) Hulu worked for a short amount of time like when skyfire just came out, but then they patched something becuase now hulu no longer works....im waiting in agony as netflix gets their android stuff together. I CANT WAIT. They need to hurry up already.....

Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll just wait for it and not waste any more time.

I used Skyfire pre-2.2 too, but since it wasn't real Flash (they buffered it through their own server and streamed it to the phone in a compatible format), I was kinda iffy on it. Especially with the lag at times.