HTC UNLOCKING Bootloaders!

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I agree with poontab, we all should be giving HTC positive feedback on this. Dinc 2 here I come!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Don't jump quite yet. It's not clarified if this is retroactive or just in all models coming out from now on yet. This is happening fast, so lets see where the details come down.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As jk said hold off on inc2 I am sure current models that are locked will stay locked. I am sure they will have unlockable bootloaders so its a choice. I would not be surprised if upon unlocked it alerts the carrier.

sent from droidforums app

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with poontab, we all should be giving HTC positive feedback on this. Dinc 2 here I come!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

My emails to their marketing & public relations departments were quite disparaging so I feel I have to.

Like JK I'm not jumping for joy just yet. I'm wondering if everything will be made right. Bootloader, nand, radio, the whole shpeal.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Our missing link in this is the carriers and how they will handle this. They are known for spoiling the party. Let's hold tight and see what they are going to do. I would love for them to just sit back and let the unlocked bootloaders flow, but I don't think it's going to be this easy.

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
As jk said hold off on inc2 I am sure current models that are locked will stay locked. I am sure they will have unlockable bootloaders so its a choice. I would not be surprised if upon unlocked it alerts the carrier.

Is this something they could package in an OTA to unlock currently locked devices?

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Is this something they could package in an OTA to unlock currently locked devices?

I believe technically they could, but I will be very surprised if they do. I think this will be just on new units. And since this just came, there hasn't been time for the carriers to react, so I imagine the next week or so will be very telling.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score

I believe technically they could, but I will be very surprised if they do. I think this will be just on new units. And since this just came, there hasn't been time for the carriers to react, so I imagine the next week or so will be very telling.

If they don't make it retroactive then I'd bet there will be a sudden spike in insurance claims the week they confirm the unlocked phones are on the shelves.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

If they don't make it retroactive then I'd bet there will be a sudden spike in insurance claims the week they confirm the unlocked phones are on the shelves.

Possibly, but insurance claims don't necessarily mean you'll get a new unlocked HTC. Got several people on my Incredible Forum that have warranty claims only to find there are no more Incredibles and they get sent Droid X's instead.

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If they do older devices a simple update to a new bootloader that allows the unlock is not difficult.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
or

we didnt lock the bootloader we sent the phones to verizon along with the encrypted bootloader it was their choice weather to install it. so than they continue to be able to claim they didnt lock the boot loader verizon or whoever did.