HTC Thunderbolt - What do you think?

Reaction score
I was given the thunderbolt as a replacement phone in Sept by Verizon. I should mention this was a new phone . I had 0 issues. I upgraded to the rezound & 0 issues. I also had gnex& returned it because of signal issues that I was not sure would get fixed before my return period was up. Iam now using rezound&thunderbolt. Battery life was not good on any of the phones but Iam always near a charger so that is not an issue for me. I think out of the box rezound is best phone out there if you don't plan on rooting or such.

dzylzzrd

Reaction score
I've had my Thunderbolt since release. I check out every new phone that comes out. The Thunderbolt is currently the best phone available in my opinion.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Reaction score
My rezound is faster than my bolt but I concur with you on the bolt. I guess both of us got a good one!!

Rhino94

Reaction score
Actually now I'm on my 3rd replacement or I will be when I receive because I have just gotten another faulty thunderbolt that is pissing me off. They were about to offer me offer me another phone but I wanted to try the thunderbolt one last time because I have a ton of stuff for it

Reaction score
I would call Verizon & get in touch with executive services and tell them I wanted a new phone other than a CLNR. I have had to do this twice.they will do more than regular cust. Service. If they won't put you through to executive services pm me & I will give you # for Corp. in New York. If you have a legit complaint they will make things right. I went through 8 CLNR before I called them& they took care or me.;)

geoff5093

Reaction score
If you're not big on having the most up to date phone of the moment, the Thunderbolt seems a good bet. In a year if you feel like upgrading you could buy something better off contract and probably not spend a lot to tide you over until your upgrade. I'm due for an upgrade on my Thunderbolt in March, and depending on what's out there, might just wait longer. The Thunderbolt is a great phone if you get the Rezound battery, root it, and put a custom ROM on it. The developer support is definitely there. Tapering off some, due to a lot of them jumping ship for the Nexus, but there are a lot of solid ROMs right now.
How are you eligible for an upgrade in March? Did you get a 1-year contract?

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
How are you eligible for an upgrade in March? Did you get a 1-year contract?

No, I am on a 2 year contract. The line was started with a Droid 1 in August of 2010. I bought the Thunderbolt used a few months after it came out and just activated it on the line the Droid 1 was on, so I didn't change my contract at all, except to just add the 4G service to my line. On the VZW website, it says I'm eligible for an upgrade on 03/11/2012. I think that I got in while they were still offering early upgrades near the end of your contract and so I can still do that once more. Because I just switched devices I also got to keep my unlimited data.

I'm under my dad's family plan since it's cheaper to just pay him the line fee and the data fee every month than have my own plan. His number is the account number, so he's actually up for an upgrade right now. I thought about taking it and getting the Galaxy Nexus, but I don't think it's worth $300 for the upgrade when my Thunderbolt is still in great condition and I have no complaints about it. I actually just sunk $80 into it to replace the outer casing/cover because it cracked when I dropped it a few months ago. It's a pretty easy phone to take apart.

Last edited:

geoff5093

Reaction score
No, I am on a 2 year contract. The line was started with a Droid 1 in August of 2010. I bought the Thunderbolt used a few months after it came out and just activated it on the line the Droid 1 was on, so I didn't change my contract at all, except to just add the 4G service to my line. On the VZW website, it says I'm eligible for an upgrade on 03/11/2012. I think that I got in while they were still offering early upgrades near the end of your contract and so I can still do that once more. Because I just switched devices I also got to keep my unlimited data.

I'm under my dad's family plan since it's cheaper to just pay him the line fee and the data fee every month than have my own plan. His number is the account number, so he's actually up for an upgrade right now. I thought about taking it and getting the Galaxy Nexus, but I don't think it's worth $300 for the upgrade when my Thunderbolt is still in great condition and I have no complaints about it. I actually just sunk $80 into it to replace the outer casing/cover because it cracked when I dropped it a few months ago. It's a pretty easy phone to take apart.
Ah, that explains it. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until November of 2012, I don't know if I can go that long with this phone, haha.

corby

Reaction score
I bought my bolt couple days after it came out and have never had issue I'm stock but would really recommend this phone if u get new one an not refurbished my friends refurbished has had few problems but this phone is great the screen size is awsome the color is great and the kickstand is what I really like about it I use it all the time at parties showing you tube clips and everyone gets jealous cause there phone don't have one. I won't upgrade again till there is another phone with kickstand plus it has 8 megapixel cam so pic quality is awsome and just as good as new phones that just came out the only thing it missing is dual core but it not really necessary in my opinion would be nice to have but not a necessity

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Ah, that explains it. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until November of 2012, I don't know if I can go that long with this phone, haha.

I'm hoping that someone gets ICS fully running on it. That'll give a lot of users a second wind, I think.

Kboss375

Reaction score
i have had the bolt simce the release and i love it. i never had any battery issues and easily get 12 hours. Rooting is very easy, and with the last updte was released, it is very stable.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I really like the razor maxx battery life. I think every smart phone should have that battery. I would get that phone if I'm eligible for an upgrade. I'm sure amazon would have it cheaper than Verizon 299 price

t35rk

Reaction score
The Tbolt is currently free at Verizon dot com.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Samsung Charge and HTC Thunderbolt now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Samsung Charge and HTC Thunderbolt now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

That's an easy choice in my opinion...Thunderbolt all the way. Now that problems have been fixed, it's no longer the blunderbolt, but actually quite a good phone. It's older technology at this point as is the Charge, but still a nice phone. With a Rezound battery, battery life is better that most other newer phones (Razr Maxx probably will blow everything away in that category). If you're not in the market for the newest tech, it's a great buy right now for FREE at VZW.